IE8: How do I stop advertisement tabs from opening?

jackypaper

IE8: How do I stop advertisement tabs from opening?
I just went to cnn.com. IE8 automatically opened a new tab to an
advertisement. My pop-up blocker is on, but apparently this doesn't prevent
new tabs from opening.

How do I prevent a tab from opening without my approval?

Thanks!

Re: How do I stop advertisement tabs from opening?
Adverts for what? Cannot reproduce at www.cnn.com.
www.banthecheck.com

jackypaper wrote:
> I just went to cnn.com. IE8 automatically opened a new tab to an
> advertisement. My pop-up blocker is on, but apparently this doesn't
> prevent
> new tabs from opening.
>
> How do I prevent a tab from opening without my approval?
>
> Thanks!

jackypaper

Re: How do I stop advertisement tabs from opening?
The ad was for Netflix. I just went to ESPN, and a new tab opened for
Safecount.net, saying "This window may present you with a survey upon exit of
the site. The feedback obtained from this survey is used for research
purposes only. All results are strictly confidential."

How do I block tabs from opening without permission?

Re: How do I stop advertisement tabs from opening?
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2).

> ...I just went to ESPN, and...

You said it was CNN (www.cnn.com) in your first post. Are you referring to
http://espn.go.com/ now? Had your previously Allowed pop-ups from CNN and
ESPN?

FWIW, I encountered no pop-ups at CNN and IE's Pop-up Blocker asked if I
wanted to allow pop-ups at ESPN (which I declined).

jackypaper wrote:
> The ad was for Netflix. I just went to ESPN, and a new tab opened for
> Safecount.net, saying "This window may present you with a survey upon exit
> of the site. The feedback obtained from this survey is used for research
> purposes only. All results are strictly confidential."
>
> How do I block tabs from opening without permission?

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Adverts for what? Cannot reproduce at www.cnn.com.
>
> jackypaper wrote:
>> I just went to cnn.com. IE8 automatically opened a new tab to an
>> advertisement. My pop-up blocker is on, but apparently this doesn't
>> prevent new tabs from opening.
>>
>> How do I prevent a tab from opening without my approval?

<paste>

rob^_^

Re: How do I stop advertisement tabs from opening?
Hijack!

Switch off any other third-party popup blockers that you may have installed
with other IE Toolbar Addons. If you have not done so already check with
your Toolbar vendors for updates (toolbar.google.com) (and switch off their
popup blockers once you have updated them).

You can test if a third-party addon is interfering with the built-in IE
popup blocker by running IE in no-Addons mode with the IE popup blocker
turned on.

Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, Tab settings button,

When a popup is encountered: X Let Internet Explorer decide how popups
should open.

Regards.

You sure about that? See http://www.safecount.net/ind_overview.php

rob^_^ wrote:
> Hijack!
>
> Switch off any other third-party popup blockers that you may have
> installed
> with other IE Toolbar Addons. If you have not done so already check with
> your Toolbar vendors for updates (toolbar.google.com) (and switch off
> their
> popup blockers once you have updated them).
>
> You can test if a third-party addon is interfering with the built-in IE
> popup blocker by running IE in no-Addons mode with the IE popup blocker
> turned on.
>
> Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, Tab settings button,
>
> When a popup is encountered: X Let Internet Explorer decide how popups
> should open.
>
> Regards.
>

> "jackypaper" <jackypaper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The ad was for Netflix. I just went to ESPN, and a new tab opened for
>> Safecount.net, saying "This window may present you with a survey upon
>> exit
>> of
>> the site. The feedback obtained from this survey is used for research
>> purposes only. All results are strictly confidential."
>>
>> How do I block tabs from opening without permission?

Re: How do I stop advertisement tabs from opening?
[*TYPO CORRECTION*]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the
>
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2).
>
>> ...I just went to ESPN, and...

> You said it was CNN (www.cnn.com) in your first post. Are you referring
> http://espn.go.com/ now? Had [*YOU*] previously Allowed pop-ups from CNN
> and
> ESPN?
>
> FWIW, I encountered no pop-ups at CNN and IE's Pop-up Blocker asked if I
> wanted to allow pop-ups at ESPN (which I declined).
>

> jackypaper wrote:
>> The ad was for Netflix. I just went to ESPN, and a new tab opened for
>> Safecount.net, saying "This window may present you with a survey upon
>> exit
>> of the site. The feedback obtained from this survey is used for research
>> purposes only. All results are strictly confidential."
>>
>> How do I block tabs from opening without permission?

> <paste>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Adverts for what? Cannot reproduce at www.cnn.com.
>>
>> jackypaper wrote:
>>> I just went to cnn.com. IE8 automatically opened a new tab to an
>>> advertisement. My pop-up blocker is on, but apparently this doesn't
>>> prevent new tabs from opening.
>>>
>>> How do I prevent a tab from opening without my approval?

> <paste>

VanguardLH

Re: IE8: How do I stop advertisement tabs from opening?
jackypaper wrote:

> I just went to cnn.com. IE8 automatically opened a new tab to an
> advertisement. My pop-up blocker is on, but apparently this doesn't prevent
> new tabs from opening.
>
> How do I prevent a tab from opening without my approval?

You sure the pop-up blocker in IE is enabled? When I went to cnn.com,
yep, a pop-up tried to open but instead got blocked. The result is the
yellow infobar appeared in IE8 showing a popup got blocked (and giving
me the option to show it) along with the sound event for the blocked
popup.

Or is "my pop-up blocker" some 3rd party popup blocker? If so, you
either need to properly configure it or get a better popup blocker. The
one already in IE8 was sufficient (at its medium setting) to eliminate
the CNN popup.