Problem: mailto-links in Protected Mode after Update from IE7 to I

Dominik

Problem: mailto-links in Protected Mode after Update from IE7 to I
Hello!

First of all this is a "double-post" as suggested in my first thread by
someone who tried to help me - please see the things done so far here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-d2e0e166818b
(in short: all resets, restores and check for malware etc.)

I'm experiencing a problem since the update from IE7 to IE8: when I click on
a mailto-Link instead of Office Outlook 2007 starting and opening a new mail
I get the error message: Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook (or similar,
since my Office is german I translated the error message as good as I could).

This problem only occurs with IE8 and Protected Mode: On
That means:
- clicking on a mailto-URL in another application works fine (FireFox, Adobe
Reader,...)
- uninstalling IE8 and working with IE7 works fine (with Protected Mode: On!)

My OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Business SP2 (32-Bit)
Mail client (set as default): Microsoft Office Outlook 2007

I tried resetting IE8 a couple of times but without success.

One special thing about my constellation: My Windows is english whereas my
Office is german, but I think that should not be an issue.

Thanks for every help!

Regards,
Dominik

Re: Problem: mailto-links in Protected Mode after Update from IE7 to I
> ...please see the things done so far here:
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-d2e0e166818b
>
> (in short: all resets, restores and check for malware etc.)

Thanks for that!

> ...My Windows is english whereas my
> Office is german, but I think that should not be an issue.

If it wasn't an issue when you were running IE7, it shouldn't be an issue
after upgrading to IE8.

1. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

2a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8 and/or Vista SP2?

2b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

3. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

4. Which was installed first, IE8 or Vista SP2?
www.banthecheck.com

Dominik wrote:
> Hello!
>
> First of all this is a "double-post" as suggested in my first thread by
> someone who tried to help me - please see the things done so far here:
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-d2e0e166818b
> (in short: all resets, restores and check for malware etc.)
>
> I'm experiencing a problem since the update from IE7 to IE8: when I click
> on
> a mailto-Link instead of Office Outlook 2007 starting and opening a new
> mail
> I get the error message: Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook (or
> similar,
> since my Office is german I translated the error message as good as I
> could).
>
> This problem only occurs with IE8 and Protected Mode: On
> That means:
> - clicking on a mailto-URL in another application works fine (FireFox,
> Adobe
> Reader,...)
> - uninstalling IE8 and working with IE7 works fine (with Protected Mode:
> On!)
>
> My OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Business SP2 (32-Bit)
> Mail client (set as default): Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
>
> I tried resetting IE8 a couple of times but without success.
>
> One special thing about my constellation: My Windows is english whereas my
> Office is german, but I think that should not be an issue.

Dominik

Re: Problem: mailto-links in Protected Mode after Update from IE7
Hi,

thanks for your answer!

To 1.: In safe mode it seems like the Protected Mode is Off even if the box
is ticked that it should be on - I tried unticking and ticking it but it
didn't help...so in safe mode is it working, but I guess it is because
Protected Mode is Off.

2a.: CA ITM (Anti-Virus & Pest-Patrol) r8.1 - subscription and definitions
are up-to-date. No third-party firewall, but I'm pretty sure ITM was running
during the installation of IE8 and SP2.

2b.: There may have been a Norton-product installed when I bought the
notebook from Lenovo - but I think it was just an installation link but not
already installed.

3.: I'm not sure, since I had this problem very long and just tried to
ignore it until, you know, you get to the point where have to fix it...but I
can uninstall IE8 without problem.

4.: That's a good question. I can't tell it for sure since I reinstalled IE8
a couple of times, but I'm pretty sure that I installed IE8 first!

Should I consider reinstalling SP2?

I try to keep my double-posting in sync: there was an interesting post about
administrative setting restricting the mailto-links - my answer: no policies,
machine is "administered" by myself, but: IE7 was asking me to allow it, but
IE8 doesn't...I tried both telling IE7 to always allow it, then update to
IE8, and keeping IE7 with all values reset and updating to IE8 - none of
these approaches solved the problem.

Thanks for every help!

Regards,
Dominik

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > ...please see the things done so far here:
> >
> > http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-d2e0e166818b
> >
> > (in short: all resets, restores and check for malware etc.)

> Thanks for that!
>
> > ...My Windows is english whereas my
> > Office is german, but I think that should not be an issue.

> If it wasn't an issue when you were running IE7, it shouldn't be an issue
> after upgrading to IE8.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 2a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8 and/or Vista SP2?
>
> 2b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>
> 3. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>
> 4. Which was installed first, IE8 or Vista SP2?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Dominik wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > First of all this is a "double-post" as suggested in my first thread by
> > someone who tried to help me - please see the things done so far here:
> >
> > http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-d2e0e166818b
> > (in short: all resets, restores and check for malware etc.)
> >
> > I'm experiencing a problem since the update from IE7 to IE8: when I click
> > on
> > a mailto-Link instead of Office Outlook 2007 starting and opening a new
> > mail
> > I get the error message: Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook (or
> > similar,
> > since my Office is german I translated the error message as good as I
> > could).
> >
> > This problem only occurs with IE8 and Protected Mode: On
> > That means:
> > - clicking on a mailto-URL in another application works fine (FireFox,
> > Adobe
> > Reader,...)
> > - uninstalling IE8 and working with IE7 works fine (with Protected Mode:
> > On!)
> >
> > My OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Business SP2 (32-Bit)
> > Mail client (set as default): Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
> >
> > I tried resetting IE8 a couple of times but without success.
> >
> > One special thing about my constellation: My Windows is english whereas my
> > Office is german, but I think that should not be an issue.

Re: Problem: mailto-links in Protected Mode after Update from IE7
Dom, I'm not going to monitor both of your threads and I'd doubt that my
colleagues Robert and SpiritX (AKA Bicycle Rob year ago) will do so either.
That being said...

> ...I'm pretty sure [CA Integrated Threat Management] was running
> during the installation of IE8 and SP2.

Not good. How many times have you uninstalled/reinstalled IE8? Was CA ITM
running in the background every time you installed/uninstalled IE8?

> 2b. There may have been a Norton-product installed when I bought the
> notebook from Lenovo - but I think it was just an installation link but
> not
> already installed.

Not good, especially if you don't know if the Norton free-trial was
preinstalled when you purchased the computer.

> Should I consider reinstalling SP2?

NO!

Reference:

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

If you (a) disable all CA ITM components, (b) enable then Windows Firewall
[IMPORTANT!], (c) uninstall IE8, (d) reboot twice, and (e) do NOT reinstall
IE8, does the behavior persist?
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com

Dominik wrote:
> [...]

>>> could).
>>>
>>> This problem only occurs with IE8 and Protected Mode: On
>>> That means:
>>> - clicking on a mailto-URL in another application works fine (FireFox,
>>> Adobe
>>> Reader,...)
>>> - uninstalling IE8 and working with IE7 works fine (with Protected Mode:
>>> On!)
>>>
>>> My OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Business SP2 (32-Bit)
>>> Mail client (set as default): Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
>>>
>>> I tried resetting IE8 a couple of times but without success.
>>>
>>> One special thing about my constellation: My Windows is english whereas
>>> my
>>> Office is german, but I think that should not be an issue.

Dominik

Re: Problem: mailto-links in Protected Mode after Update from IE7
Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Everytime when I uninstall IE8 the problem is not there any longer - shall I
follow your exact procedure anyway - and then install with CA turned off?

Regards,
Dominik

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
> >> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> >> installed
> >> IE8 and/or Vista SP2?
> >>
> >> 2b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> >> machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >>
> >> 3. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> >> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> >>
> >> 4. Which was installed first, IE8 or Vista SP2?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Re: Problem: mailto-links in Protected Mode after Update from IE7
No.

>> If you (a) disable all CA ITM components, (b) enable then Windows
>> Firewall
>> [IMPORTANT!], (c) uninstall IE8, (d) reboot twice, and (e) do NOT
>> reinstall
>> IE8, does the behavior persist?

Take the above literally for now, please.

Dominik wrote:
> [...]

>>> it...but
>>> can uninstall IE8 without problem.
>>>
>>> 4.: That's a good question. I can't tell it for sure since I reinstalled
>>> IE8
>>> a couple of times, but I'm pretty sure that I installed IE8 first!
>>>
>>> Should I consider reinstalling SP2?
>>>
>>> I try to keep my double-posting in sync: there was an interesting post
>>> about
>>> administrative setting restricting the mailto-links - my answer: no
>>> policies, machine is "administered" by myself, but: IE7 was asking me to
>>> allow it, but IE8 doesn't...I tried both telling IE7 to always allow it,
>>> then update to IE8, and keeping IE7 with all values reset and updating
>>> IE8 - none of these approaches solved the problem.

Dominik

Re: Problem: mailto-links in Protected Mode after Update from IE7

Ok, now I'm working on IE 7.0.6002.18005 and when I click on a mailto-link
the following window pops-up:

"Internet Explirer Security
A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer
This program will open outside of Protected mode. Internet Explorer's
Protected mode helps protect your computer. If you do not trust this website,
do not open this program.
Name: Microsoft Office Outlook
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
Details: ...OGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE

[] Do not show me the warning for this program again

Allow | Don't allow"

When I click on Allow it opens Outlook and everything works!

When I clock on Don't allow I get the message:

"Windows Internet Explorer
Could not perform this operation because the mail client is not properly
installed"

What is next?

Thanks!

Regards
Dominik

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> No.
>
> >> If you (a) disable all CA ITM components, (b) enable then Windows
> >> Firewall
> >> [IMPORTANT!], (c) uninstall IE8, (d) reboot twice, and (e) do NOT
> >> reinstall
> >> IE8, does the behavior persist?

> Take the above literally for now, please.
>

> Dominik wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Thanks for the quick reply!
> >
> > Everytime when I uninstall IE8 the problem is not there any longer - shall
> > follow your exact procedure anyway - and then install with CA turned off?
> >

> > Regards,
> > Dominik
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Dom, I'm not going to monitor both of your threads and I'd doubt that my
> >> colleagues Robert and SpiritX (AKA Bicycle Rob year ago) will do so
> >> either.
> >> That being said...

> >> Not good. How many times have you uninstalled/reinstalled IE8? Was CA
> >> ITM
> >> running in the background every time you installed/uninstalled IE8?

> >> Not good, especially if you don't know if the Norton free-trial was
> >> preinstalled when you purchased the computer.

> >> NO!
> >>
> >> Reference:
> >>
> >> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> >>
> >> If you (a) disable all CA ITM components, (b) enable then Windows
> >> Firewall
> >> [IMPORTANT!], (c) uninstall IE8, (d) reboot twice, and (e) do NOT
> >> reinstall
> >> IE8, does the behavior persist?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Re: Problem: mailto-links in Protected Mode after Update from IE7
cf.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-d2e0e166818b

I am no longer monitoring this newsgroup thread.