User agent string for Missing horizontal scroll bar?

5tulips

User agent string for Missing horizontal scroll bar?

I see that there is such a thing as a "user-agent-string" one can install in
a "certain" browser version to say it is an earlier version. I have
downloaded the file from MSDN but haven's installed it.

Anyone used this for a missing horizontal scroll bar, and if so, does it
work? And if it doesn't work, can it be removed? and how?

And it is known that it doesn't work, what is the fix?

--5tulips

Don Varnau

Re: User agent string for Missing horizontal scroll bar?
Hi,
1. IE7 or IE8? If IE8, have you tried the Compatibility view button to the
right of the Address Bar?

2. Is the horizontal scroll bar missing on only one site? Which site?

3. Yes, you can revert to the earler, proper user agent string. Just use the
proper script at http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"5tulips" <5tulips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I see that there is such a thing as a "user-agent-string" one can install

in
> a "certain" browser version to say it is an earlier version. I have
> downloaded the file from MSDN but haven's installed it.
>
> Anyone used this for a missing horizontal scroll bar, and if so, does it
> work? And if it doesn't work, can it be removed? and how?
>
> And it is known that it doesn't work, what is the fix?
>
> --5tulips

5tulips

Re: User agent string for Missing horizontal scroll bar?
I had so much on my desktop this afternoon I forgot to say I have
IE7 - Windows XP Pro SP2.

I am building a couple of webs on Google Sites at 1024 x 768 screen
resolution because I want to be sure that viewers with that resolution can
see everything. Most of my pages fit properly with a 1024 screen width. I
only have a few maps which need more width than the physical screen permits,
hence the need for the H scroll bar. However, at 1280 x 1024, there is no
problem. The reason it is critical is that on some of the maps, the labels
are unreadable for the width of my screen unless I can create the maps a
little wider, making the type at least readable. I checked W3schools for a
comparison of the percent of their own people using (1)1024 x 768 (36%)
against (2) 1280 x 1024 (57%). It's so close, I can't favor either one.

IE7 is usually my default browser. I use Firefox and Chrome to check the
pages. FF and Chrome each have their own way to rev up the horizontal scroll
when it's needed, but IE7 acts like it never even heard of such a thing. No
problem with the vertical scroll bar. Because so far the GoogleSites only
permits PNG, JPG and GIF, and the maps and charts are not scalable (and
landscape), I need the H scroll bar.

As I said, I haven't installed the UAS file yet because I don't know if it
is supposed to fix a scroll bar problem. But I haven't read or looked at the
fiddlertool yet. I'll go do that.

Just let me know if I'm looking at the correct tools to fix scroll bars
And will I be able to uninstall them if they don't work?

--5tulips
.................................................. ................

:
: 2. Is the horizontal scroll bar missing on only one site? Which site?
:
: 3. Yes, you can revert to the earler, proper user agent string. Just use
the
: proper script at http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx
:
: Don
: [MS MVP- IE]
:
: "5tulips" <5tulips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: news:uB6PyQ1JKHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
: >
: > I see that there is such a thing as a "user-agent-string" one can
install
: in
: > a "certain" browser version to say it is an earlier version. I have
: > downloaded the file from MSDN but haven's installed it.
: >
: > Anyone used this for a missing horizontal scroll bar, and if so, does it
: > work? And if it doesn't work, can it be removed? and how?
: >
: > And if it is known that it doesn't work, what is the fix?
: >
: > --5tulips
:

Don Varnau

Re: User agent string for Missing horizontal scroll bar?
Ahh, I see. You're asking from the developer's point of view.

Two suggestions:
1. Watch this thread for a day or so- see if a developer spots it.
2. Try the MSDN Forum at
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...pment/threads/

> [...]

> the
> : proper script at http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx
> :

> : "5tulips" <5tulips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> : news:uB6PyQ1JKHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> : >
> : > I see that there is such a thing as a "user-agent-string" one can
> install
> : in
> : > a "certain" browser version to say it is an earlier version. I have
> : > downloaded the file from MSDN but haven's installed it.
> : >
> : > Anyone used this for a missing horizontal scroll bar, and if so, does

it
> : > work? And if it doesn't work, can it be removed? and how?
> : >
> : > And if it is known that it doesn't work, what is the fix?

5tulips

Re: User agent string for Missing horizontal scroll bar?
Thanks don, I'll do that
--5tulips

[...]
: > .................................................. ...............
:
: > "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
: > news:uEDreB2JKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
: > : Hi,
: > : 1. IE7 or IE8? If IE8, have you tried the Compatibility view button to
: the
: > : right of the Address Bar?
: > :
: > : 2. Is the horizontal scroll bar missing on only one site? Which site?
: > :
: > : 3. Yes, you can revert to the earler, proper user agent string. Just
use
: > the
: > : proper script at http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx
: > :
:
: > : "5tulips" <5tulips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: > : news:uB6PyQ1JKHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
: > : >
: > : > I see that there is such a thing as a "user-agent-string" one can
: > install
: > : in
: > : > a "certain" browser version to say it is an earlier version. I
have
: > : > downloaded the file from MSDN but haven's installed it.
: > : >
: > : > Anyone used this for a missing horizontal scroll bar, and if so,
does
: it
: > : > work? And if it doesn't work, can it be removed? and how?
: > : >
: > : > And if it is known that it doesn't work, what is the fix?
: > : >
: > : > --5tulips
:

rob^_^

Re: User agent string for Missing horizontal scroll bar?
Add
html body {height:100%, width:100%)

> [...]
> :
> : > : "5tulips" <5tulips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> : > : news:uB6PyQ1JKHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> : > : >
> : > : > I see that there is such a thing as a "user-agent-string" one can
> : > install
> : > : in
> : > : > a "certain" browser version to say it is an earlier version. I
> have
> : > : > downloaded the file from MSDN but haven's installed it.
> : > : >
> : > : > Anyone used this for a missing horizontal scroll bar, and if so,
> does
> : it
> : > : > work? And if it doesn't work, can it be removed? and how?
> : > : >
> : > : > And if it is known that it doesn't work, what is the fix?

5tulips

Re: User agent string for Missing horizontal scroll bar?
Thanks, Rob, for your input. Though Google Sites uses plenty of CSS and
javascript in our source pages for their purposes, GoogleSites says we
cannot enter our own css or javascript, though we're allowed to use the HTML
source pages to do other things; but I'll try your sample in one of my
practice webs. I've found out a couple of things since I asked the
question.

(1) They already have a user agent style sheet in their source page for my
wide image.
(2) When I finally got frustrated about the missing IE7 horizontal scroll
bar, I just sat down and 'played' with the browser to see how many things I
could click on. Lo! and behold! If I click on the magnification icon
(bottom right corner) and choose higher than 100% the horizontal scroll
snaps to attention. I can understand why that would be desirable with a
magnified image, but it is certain that there are web pages built that need
the scroll bar for 100% or less magnification.

Anyway, guys, thanks for your input. It's appreciated.
--5tulips

: Add
: <style type="text/css">
: html body {height:100%, width:100%)
: </style>
:
: <body scroll="auto" style="overflow:auto">
: .....
:
[...]
: > : > .................................................. ...............
: > :
: > : > "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
: > : > news:uEDreB2JKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
: > : > : Hi,
: > : > : 1. IE7 or IE8? If IE8, have you tried the Compatibility view
button
: > : the
: > : > : right of the Address Bar?
: > : > :
: > : > : 2. Is the horizontal scroll bar missing on only one site? Which
: > site?
: > : > :
: > : > : 3. Yes, you can revert to the earler, proper user agent string.
Just
: > use
: > : > the
: > : > : proper script at http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx