Can I get back to IE6 after upgrading to IE8

Jim

Can I get back to IE6 after upgrading to IE8
I did not go to IE7, in fact I went back to IE6 after a I tried it but there
were some security issues and I could not get on with it.

Now I am being offered IE8. Also a couple of sites I use are saying I
should upgrade to IE8 as they will soon not support IE6.

So, if I go to IE8 and have problems or don't like it can I go back to IE6?
If so, how?

Is it the time to try IE8 now that the major security issues have been
resolved?

I use Windows XP PRO and am an Outlook Express user so also would not want
my mail screwed up by an upgrade and then a reversion.

As a supplementary I understand that with IE8 and the Vista OS that OE is no
longer bundled and the MS mail client is Windows Mail. Therefore, is OE
still bundled with IE8 for XP users?

Thanks & regards

--

Jim

Don Varnau

Re: Can I get back to IE6 after upgrading to IE8
Hi,
Which version of XP Pro? SP1, SP2 ,SP3?

1. IE8 should uninstall cleanly and return IE6, providing you have not run
an overly aggressive registry cleaner or tried to remove IE8 via System
Restore.
957700- How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/

2. IE8 was developed with security as a priority. But, there will always be
vulnerabilities found and patches released.

3. IE8 won't affect Outlook Express.

4. Neither IE7 nor IE8 includes/installs Outlook Express. When/if the time
comes to upgrade to Vista, don't let fear of Windows Mail be a factor.
Adapting to Windows Mail after Outlook Express is not that difficult.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Jim" <jim@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I did not go to IE7, in fact I went back to IE6 after a I tried it but

there
> were some security issues and I could not get on with it.
>
> Now I am being offered IE8. Also a couple of sites I use are saying I
> should upgrade to IE8 as they will soon not support IE6.
>
> [1] So, if I go to IE8 and have problems or don't like it can I go back to

IE6?
> If so, how?
>
> [2] Is it the time to try IE8 now that the major security issues have been
> resolved?
>
> [3] I use Windows XP PRO and am an Outlook Express user so also would not

want
> my mail screwed up by an upgrade and then a reversion.
>
> [4] As a supplementary I understand that with IE8 and the Vista OS that OE

is no
> longer bundled and the MS mail client is Windows Mail. Therefore, is OE
> still bundled with IE8 for XP users?
>
> Thanks & regards
>

> Jim

Jim

> Hi,
> Which version of XP Pro? SP1, SP2 ,SP3?
>
> 1. IE8 should uninstall cleanly and return IE6, providing you have not run
> an overly aggressive registry cleaner or tried to remove IE8 via System
> Restore.
> 957700- How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/
>
> 2. IE8 was developed with security as a priority. But, there will always
> be
> vulnerabilities found and patches released.
>
> 3. IE8 won't affect Outlook Express.
>
> 4. Neither IE7 nor IE8 includes/installs Outlook Express. When/if the time
> comes to upgrade to Vista, don't let fear of Windows Mail be a factor.
> Adapting to Windows Mail after Outlook Express is not that difficult.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Jim" <jim@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> I did not go to IE7, in fact I went back to IE6 after a I tried it but

> there
>> were some security issues and I could not get on with it.
>>
>> Now I am being offered IE8. Also a couple of sites I use are saying I
>> should upgrade to IE8 as they will soon not support IE6.
>>
>> [1] So, if I go to IE8 and have problems or don't like it can I go back

> IE6?
>> If so, how?
>>
>> [2] Is it the time to try IE8 now that the major security issues have
>> been
>> resolved?
>>
>> [3] I use Windows XP PRO and am an Outlook Express user so also would not

> want
>> my mail screwed up by an upgrade and then a reversion.
>>
>> [4] As a supplementary I understand that with IE8 and the Vista OS that
>> OE

> is no
>> longer bundled and the MS mail client is Windows Mail. Therefore, is OE
>> still bundled with IE8 for XP users?
>>
>> Thanks & regards
>>

>> Jim

Don

Thanks - I am running MS XP Professional Version 2002 SP3. Does it make any
difference to what version I am using if I had to revert?

--

Jim

Re: Can I get back to IE6 after upgrading to IE8
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
www.banthecheck.com

Jim wrote:
> I did not go to IE7, in fact I went back to IE6 after a I tried it but
> there
> were some security issues and I could not get on with it.
>
> Now I am being offered IE8. Also a couple of sites I use are saying I
> should upgrade to IE8 as they will soon not support IE6.
>
> So, if I go to IE8 and have problems or don't like it can I go back to
> IE6?
> If so, how?
>
> Is it the time to try IE8 now that the major security issues have been
> resolved?
>
> I use Windows XP PRO and am an Outlook Express user so also would not want
> my mail screwed up by an upgrade and then a reversion.
>
> As a supplementary I understand that with IE8 and the Vista OS that OE is
> no
> longer bundled and the MS mail client is Windows Mail. Therefore, is OE
> still bundled with IE8 for XP users?
>
> Thanks & regards

Don Varnau

Re: Can I get back to IE6 after upgrading to IE8
Hi,
You are in good shape to install IE8. If IE8 were installed before SP3, you
would have to uninstall SP3 before uninstalling IE8.

> Don
>
> Thanks - I am running MS XP Professional Version 2002 SP3. Does it make

any
> difference to what version I am using if I had to revert?
>
> Jim

> > Hi,
> > Which version of XP Pro? SP1, SP2 ,SP3?
> >
> > 1. IE8 should uninstall cleanly and return IE6, providing you have not

run
> > an overly aggressive registry cleaner or tried to remove IE8 via System
> > Restore.
> > 957700- How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/
> >
> > 2. IE8 was developed with security as a priority. But, there will always
> > be
> > vulnerabilities found and patches released.
> >
> > 3. IE8 won't affect Outlook Express.
> >
> > 4. Neither IE7 nor IE8 includes/installs Outlook Express. When/if the

time
> > comes to upgrade to Vista, don't let fear of Windows Mail be a factor.
> > Adapting to Windows Mail after Outlook Express is not that difficult.

> > "Jim" <jim@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >> I did not go to IE7, in fact I went back to IE6 after a I tried it but

> > there
> >> were some security issues and I could not get on with it.
> >>
> >> Now I am being offered IE8. Also a couple of sites I use are saying I
> >> should upgrade to IE8 as they will soon not support IE6.
> >>
> >> [1] So, if I go to IE8 and have problems or don't like it can I go back

> > IE6?
> >> If so, how?
> >>
> >> [2] Is it the time to try IE8 now that the major security issues have
> >> been
> >> resolved?
> >>
> >> [3] I use Windows XP PRO and am an Outlook Express user so also would

not
> > want
> >> my mail screwed up by an upgrade and then a reversion.
> >>
> >> [4] As a supplementary I understand that with IE8 and the Vista OS that
> >> OE

> > is no
> >> longer bundled and the MS mail client is Windows Mail. Therefore, is

OE
> >> still bundled with IE8 for XP users?
> >>
> >> Thanks & regards
> >>

> >> Jim

Gordon

> Hi,
> If IE8 were installed before SP3, you would have to uninstall SP3 before
> uninstalling IE8.

Thanks for the heads-up - I keep getting it the other way round!

Jim

Re: Can I get back to IE6 after upgrading to IE8
> Hi,
> You are in good shape to install IE8. If IE8 were installed before SP3,
> you
> would have to uninstall SP3 before uninstalling IE8.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Jim" <jim@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Don
>>
>> Thanks - I am running MS XP Professional Version 2002 SP3. Does it make

> any
>> difference to what version I am using if I had to revert?
>>
>> Jim

>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > Which version of XP Pro? SP1, SP2 ,SP3?
>> >
>> > 1. IE8 should uninstall cleanly and return IE6, providing you have not

> run
>> > an overly aggressive registry cleaner or tried to remove IE8 via System
>> > Restore.
>> > 957700- How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8:
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/
>> >
>> > 2. IE8 was developed with security as a priority. But, there will
>> > always
>> > be
>> > vulnerabilities found and patches released.
>> >
>> > 3. IE8 won't affect Outlook Express.
>> >
>> > 4. Neither IE7 nor IE8 includes/installs Outlook Express. When/if the

> time
>> > comes to upgrade to Vista, don't let fear of Windows Mail be a factor.
>> > Adapting to Windows Mail after Outlook Express is not that difficult.

>> > "Jim" <jim@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> > there

>> > IE6?

> not
>> > want

>> > is no

> OE

Done the upgrade OK and so far am happy with IE8.

Only problem is how to get rid of the message "Download Windows Search to
improve history and favorites results" without installing/enabling as
recommended in MS KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968513/

--

Jim

Donald Anadell

>> Hi,
>> You are in good shape to install IE8. If IE8 were installed before SP3,
>> you
>> would have to uninstall SP3 before uninstalling IE8.
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Jim" <jim@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> Don
>>>
>>> Thanks - I am running MS XP Professional Version 2002 SP3. Does it make

>> any
>>> difference to what version I am using if I had to revert?
>>>
>>> Jim

>>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message

>> run

>> time

>> not

>> OE

> Done the upgrade OK and so far am happy with IE8.
>
> Only problem is how to get rid of the message "Download Windows Search to
> improve history and favorites results" without installing/enabling as
> recommended in MS KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968513/

See the two methods to resolve this issue here:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...8-address-bar/

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> --
>

> Jim

Jim

"Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message

>> Done the upgrade OK and so far am happy with IE8.
>>
>> Only problem is how to get rid of the message "Download Windows Search to
>> improve history and favorites results" without installing/enabling as
>> recommended in MS KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968513/

> See the two methods to resolve this issue here:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...8-address-bar/
>

> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell

Don

Very many thanks.

I will take the 7-day option and see if that works!

I will let you know if it does not work.

Regards

Jim

--

Jim