IE8 shutdown aftermath headache

Dartley

IE8 shutdown aftermath headache
When I close IE8 with the 'delete browsing history on exit' box checked a
rundll32 (clearmytracks) process spirals out of control, running several
instances and consumes all my RAM, rendering my computer unmanageable. If I
uncheck the box and close IE8 after a session all is fine.

This a new Dell with Vista SP2, all updates are done. IE8 is latest version
(6001.18813). I tried running IE8 with no-addons and it made no difference. I
also went back to IE7 and re-installed IE8 to no effect either.

Now I don't mind leaving the box unchecked but somehow it keeps getting
turned back on.

Virus checker is AVG 8.5 free edition.

Re: IE8 shutdown aftermath headache
Have you tried a Reset?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Was AVG running in the background when you installed, uninstalled, and/or
reinstalled IE8? ...when you installed SP2 (if SP2 didn't come preinstalled
on the computer)?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the original/first install of IE8?
www.banthecheck.com

Dartley wrote:
> When I close IE8 with the 'delete browsing history on exit' box checked a
> rundll32 (clearmytracks) process spirals out of control, running several
> instances and consumes all my RAM, rendering my computer unmanageable. If
> uncheck the box and close IE8 after a session all is fine.
>
> This a new Dell with Vista SP2, all updates are done. IE8 is latest
> version
> (6001.18813). I tried running IE8 with no-addons and it made no
> difference.
> I also went back to IE7 and re-installed IE8 to no effect either.
>
> Now I don't mind leaving the box unchecked but somehow it keeps getting
> turned back on.
>
> Virus checker is AVG 8.5 free edition.

Dartley

Re: IE8 shutdown aftermath headache
Yup tried reset. To no avail.

Good chance AVG was running during install of IE8 but not during Vista SP2
install.

Ordered Dell with no anti-virus so no Norton or McAfee was ever on the
computer.

Sadly, no restore point pre IE8 original install.

One other thing, Google Chrome was installed but taken off. In the process
it buggered up Outlook 2007 hyperlinks (hijacking htm, html and shtml
extensions)which I have since corrected by editing the registry. Not sure if
that has any connection but thought I'd mention it just the same.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Have you tried a Reset?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> Was AVG running in the background when you installed, uninstalled, and/or
> reinstalled IE8? ...when you installed SP2 (if SP2 didn't come preinstalled
> on the computer)?

> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> an available Restore Point which predates the original/first install of IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Dartley wrote:
> > When I close IE8 with the 'delete browsing history on exit' box checked a
> > rundll32 (clearmytracks) process spirals out of control, running several
> > instances and consumes all my RAM, rendering my computer unmanageable. If
> > uncheck the box and close IE8 after a session all is fine.
> >
> > This a new Dell with Vista SP2, all updates are done. IE8 is latest
> > version
> > (6001.18813). I tried running IE8 with no-addons and it made no
> > difference.
> > I also went back to IE7 and re-installed IE8 to no effect either.
> >
> > Now I don't mind leaving the box unchecked but somehow it keeps getting
> > turned back on.
> >
> > Virus checker is AVG 8.5 free edition.

Re: IE8 shutdown aftermath headache
[Didn't forget about you!]

> Ordered Dell with no anti-virus...

Reference: 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

1. How long were you online before you installed AVG (Free, I assume) & got
its definitions fully-updated?

Reference: How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

2. If you disable AVG and then uninstall IE8, does the behavior persist?

Dartley wrote:
> Yup tried reset. To no avail.
>
> Good chance AVG was running during install of IE8 but not during Vista SP2
> install.
>
> Ordered Dell with no anti-virus so no Norton or McAfee was ever on the
> computer.
>
> Sadly, no restore point pre IE8 original install.
>
> One other thing, Google Chrome was installed but taken off. In the process
> it buggered up Outlook 2007 hyperlinks (hijacking htm, html and shtml
> extensions)which I have since corrected by editing the registry. Not sure
> if
> that has any connection but thought I'd mention it just the same.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Have you tried a Reset?
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> Was AVG running in the background when you installed, uninstalled, and/or
>> reinstalled IE8? ...when you installed SP2 (if SP2 didn't come
>> preinstalled on the computer)?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>> have
>> an available Restore Point which predates the original/first install of
>> IE8?
>>
>> Dartley wrote:
>>> When I close IE8 with the 'delete browsing history on exit' box checked
>>> rundll32 (clearmytracks) process spirals out of control, running several
>>> instances and consumes all my RAM, rendering my computer unmanageable.
>>> If
>>> I uncheck the box and close IE8 after a session all is fine.
>>>
>>> This a new Dell with Vista SP2, all updates are done. IE8 is latest
>>> version
>>> (6001.18813). I tried running IE8 with no-addons and it made no
>>> difference.
>>> I also went back to IE7 and re-installed IE8 to no effect either.
>>>
>>> Now I don't mind leaving the box unchecked but somehow it keeps getting
>>> turned back on.
>>>
>>> Virus checker is AVG 8.5 free edition.

Dartley

Re: IE8 shutdown aftermath headache
No worries been busy myself.

1. Not too long. I keep all the updates and installs on a thumb drive so I
can do everything quickly. Yes AVG Free.

2. Will try it and let you know.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Didn't forget about you!]
>
> > Ordered Dell with no anti-virus...

> Reference: 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
>
> 1. How long were you online before you installed AVG (Free, I assume) & got
> its definitions fully-updated?
>
> Reference: How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
> 2. If you disable AVG and then uninstall IE8, does the behavior persist?
>

> Dartley wrote:
> > Yup tried reset. To no avail.
> >
> > Good chance AVG was running during install of IE8 but not during Vista SP2
> > install.
> >
> > Ordered Dell with no anti-virus so no Norton or McAfee was ever on the
> > computer.
> >
> > Sadly, no restore point pre IE8 original install.
> >
> > One other thing, Google Chrome was installed but taken off. In the process
> > it buggered up Outlook 2007 hyperlinks (hijacking htm, html and shtml
> > extensions)which I have since corrected by editing the registry. Not sure
> > if
> > that has any connection but thought I'd mention it just the same.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Have you tried a Reset?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> >>
> >> Was AVG running in the background when you installed, uninstalled, and/or
> >> reinstalled IE8? ...when you installed SP2 (if SP2 didn't come
> >> preinstalled on the computer)?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >>
> >> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> >> have
> >> an available Restore Point which predates the original/first install of
> >> IE8?

Re: IE8 shutdown aftermath headache
"Not too long" means what, a minute or two, an hour or more, a day or
more?...

Dartley wrote:
> No worries been busy myself.
>
> 1. Not too long. I keep all the updates and installs on a thumb drive so I
> can do everything quickly. Yes AVG Free.
>
> 2. Will try it and let you know.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Didn't forget about you!]
>>
>>> Ordered Dell with no anti-virus...

>> Reference: 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
>>
>> 1. How long were you online before you installed AVG (Free, I assume) &
>> got
>> its definitions fully-updated?
>>
>> Reference: How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>>
>> 2. If you disable AVG and then uninstall IE8, does the behavior persist?
>>

>> Dartley wrote:
>>> Yup tried reset. To no avail.
>>>
>>> Good chance AVG was running during install of IE8 but not during Vista
>>> SP2
>>> install.
>>>
>>> Ordered Dell with no anti-virus so no Norton or McAfee was ever on the
>>> computer.
>>>
>>> Sadly, no restore point pre IE8 original install.
>>>
>>> One other thing, Google Chrome was installed but taken off. In the
>>> process
>>> it buggered up Outlook 2007 hyperlinks (hijacking htm, html and shtml
>>> extensions)which I have since corrected by editing the registry. Not
>>> sure
>>> if
>>> that has any connection but thought I'd mention it just the same.

Dartley

Re: IE8 shutdown aftermath headache
Not too long means minutes. I do the Service Pack and other sundry updates
(Flash, Java, Adobe Reader) install AVG and then go online and do the
Microsoft updates. Computer ran fine before IE8 and for a while after IE8. I
am fairly confident something altered IE8 it in someway. IE8 runs fine other
than the shutdown -clearmytracks process. If I turn off the clear history it
shuts down fine and all is well. Ran Malwarebytes and it came up clean also.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> "Not too long" means what, a minute or two, an hour or more, a day or
> more?...
>
> Dartley wrote:
> > No worries been busy myself.
> >
> > 1. Not too long. I keep all the updates and installs on a thumb drive so I
> > can do everything quickly. Yes AVG Free.
> >
> > 2. Will try it and let you know.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [Didn't forget about you!]

> >> Reference: 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
> >>
> >> 1. How long were you online before you installed AVG (Free, I assume) &
> >> got
> >> its definitions fully-updated?
> >>
> >> Reference: How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> >>
> >> 2. If you disable AVG and then uninstall IE8, does the behavior persist?

Dartley

Re: IE8 shutdown aftermath headache
Unistalled AVG8 - rebooted, no change

Uninstalled IE8 - rebooted, tested IE7 it worked fine

Reinstalled IE8 - same issue, rebooted still same issue

All this was done offline, I installed all from USB drive.

Had to move onto other machines, told client to leave box unchecked. Perhaps
a solution will appear in the future. I have Googled the issue and see other
people have had the same problem but there seems to be no working answer
short of formatting.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> "Not too long" means what, a minute or two, an hour or more, a day or
> more?...
>
> Dartley wrote:
> > No worries been busy myself.
> >
> > 1. Not too long. I keep all the updates and installs on a thumb drive so I
> > can do everything quickly. Yes AVG Free.
> >
> > 2. Will try it and let you know.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [Didn't forget about you!]

> >> Reference: 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
> >>
> >> 1. How long were you online before you installed AVG (Free, I assume) &
> >> got
> >> its definitions fully-updated?
> >>
> >> Reference: How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> >>
> >> 2. If you disable AVG and then uninstall IE8, does the behavior persist?

Re: IE8 shutdown aftermath headache
You last reply suggests that the environment in which you originally
installed and then reinstalled IE8 has caused the behavior.

[YOU WILL WANT TO PRINT THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS FOR OFFLINE REFERENCE!!]
===================================

1a. Download the current IE8 installer for your Vista version (i.e., Vista
or Vista x64) via this page, saving it to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

NB: Do NOT use any other installer you may have downloaded earlier!

1b. Download the current installer for AVG Free v8.5, saving it to your
desktop.

NB: Do NOT use any other installer you may have downloaded earlier!

2. IMPORTANT! => Physically disconnect the computer from the internet.

3. Uninstall AVG Free via Installed Programs (AKA Add/Remove Programs) &
reboot.

4. Uninstall IE8 & reboot again (cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700).

5. Reconnect the computer to the internet.

IMPORTANT! => You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else
online (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) until you've completed Step
#9 below!

IMPORTANT! => Make absolutely certain that the Windows Firewall is enabled
at all times!

6. Right-click on the file you saved in Step #1a above and select 'Run as
Administrator' to reinstall IE8. Follow all prompts (including the prompt
to Reboot) then reboot a second time.

7. Run Windows Update manually via the Start menu shortcut & install any
Important updates offered. Follow all prompts.

8. Right-click on the file you saved in Step #1b above and select 'Run as
Administrator' to reinstall AVG Free.

IMPORTANT! => This time, select the CUSTOM install option and do NOT install
Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active Surf-Shield, Security toolbar, and/or any
of the email scanning components.

9. After rebooting, update AVG manually & repeatedly until you get a "No
more updates" prompt.

10. Test closing IE8 with the 'delete browsing history on exit' box
enabled/checked.

~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com