IE8 - can't close first TAB

Doug W.

IE8 - can't close first TAB
When one TAB is open there is no X to close it out. Subsequent TABS have X's. If I hit HOME then the first TAB will close.

Doug W.
======

MHL

Re: IE8 - can't close first TAB
Correct behavior.
"Doug W." <stand@attention> wrote in message news:O161sinJKHA.3888@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
When one TAB is open there is no X to close it out. Subsequent TABS have X's. If I hit HOME then the first TAB will close.

Doug W.
======

Gordon

Re: IE8 - can't close first TAB
"Doug W." <stand@attention> wrote in message
> When one TAB is open there is no X to close it out. Subsequent TABS have
> X's. If I hit HOME then the first TAB will close.

Quite so. If you only have one tab open then the close function is to close
the browsing window. And please post here in PLAIN TEXT, not HTML.....

VanguardLH

Re: IE8 - can't close first TAB
Doug W. wrote:

> When one TAB is open there is no X to close it out. Subsequent TABS have X...

<overly line line due to HTML is shown above as truncated>

Please explain the purpose of a web browser that has no content window
displayed? Of what use would be as web browser that only shows an
Address Bar?

HOME (if you meant the Home toolbar button) does not *close* the tab.
It merely changes what CONTENT that tab displays (i.e., whatever you
defined for the default Home page in the web browser).
Doug W.

Re: IE8 - can't close first TAB

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Doug W." <stand@attention> wrote in message
>> When one TAB is open there is no X to close it out.
>> Subsequent TABS have X's. If I hit HOME then the first TAB
>> will close.

> Quite so. If you only have one tab open then the close
> function is to close the browsing window. And please post here
> in PLAIN TEXT, not HTML.....

==
Gordon: I just started using IE 8 and am adjusting to it. I
quess that I am too used to the Avant browser.

Happy with the PLAIN TEXT? Sure glad that you said "please". I
forgot to switch back as I had to send an enclosure to another
NG which required HTML. I prefer plain text for NGs anyway.
==

Doug W.

Re: IE8 - can't close first TAB
Don't worry about it, I figured it out. I switched back to
Avant anyway...it works better than IE8. The way IE8 does
Favorites is downright DUMB.
==

> Doug W. wrote:
>
>> When one TAB is open there is no X to close it out.
>> Subsequent TABS have X...

> <overly line line due to HTML is shown above as truncated>
>
> Please explain the purpose of a web browser that has no
> content window
> displayed? Of what use would be as web browser that only
> shows an
> Address Bar?
>
> HOME (if you meant the Home toolbar button) does not *close*
> the tab.
> It merely changes what CONTENT that tab displays (i.e.,
> whatever you
> defined for the default Home page in the web browser).

MHL

Re: IE8 - can't close first TAB
What is Avant?
--
**********
Michael

"MHL" <booyakasha at mac dot com> wrote in message
> What is Avant?

==
Avant browser...just Google for info.

MHL wrote:

> What is Avant?

It is a "wrapper" for IE (but I don't know that it is yet IE8
compatible). It presents a different GUI but still relies on IE's
libraries to do any rendering of web page. IE *must* be installed for
AvantBrowser to extend or alter the behaviors presented to the user.

Think of AvantBrowser (it's actual name) as a skin for IE. In fact,
because it is a skin (in which extra features can be defined), you can
even use other skins to modify the appearance of the AvantBrowser
wrapper.

http://www.avantbrowser.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avant_Browser
MHL

Re: IE8 - can't close first TAB

> MHL wrote:
>
>> What is Avant?

> It is a "wrapper" for IE (but I don't know that it is yet IE8
> compatible). It presents a different GUI but still relies on IE's
> libraries to do any rendering of web page. IE *must* be installed for
> AvantBrowser to extend or alter the behaviors presented to the user.
>
> Think of AvantBrowser (it's actual name) as a skin for IE. In fact,
> because it is a skin (in which extra features can be defined), you can
> even use other skins to modify the appearance of the AvantBrowser
> wrapper.
>
> http://www.avantbrowser.com/
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avant_Browser

No Thanks! Thank you, though!