IE8 multiple window behavior change

TeigeJDavidson

IE8 multiple window behavior change
IE7 and earlier allowed you to load 2 separate windows for a single domain /
website w/o cookies from one window affecting the other.

When attempting to use IE8 to load 2 separate windows / sessions for a
single site / same domain, the cookies cross over and now prevent 2 different
sessions from being loaded.

Thus, if you log into hotmail (or other sites like webmail.aol.com etc) in
one window and you open a brand new window from the start menu, and navigate
to hotmail, you are automatically logged in as the user from the other
window. Note: I did not use the save my password feature.

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: IE8 multiple window behavior change
TeigeJDavidson wrote:

> IE7 and earlier allowed you to load 2 separate windows for a single
> domain / website w/o cookies from one window affecting the other.
>
> When attempting to use IE8 to load 2 separate windows / sessions for a
> single site / same domain, the cookies cross over and now prevent 2
> different sessions from being loaded.
>
> Thus, if you log into hotmail (or other sites like webmail.aol.com etc) in
> one window and you open a brand new window from the start menu, and
> navigate to hotmail, you are automatically logged in as the user from the
> other window. Note: I did not use the save my password feature.

See if this article helps:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...e-and-ie8.aspx
"Session Cookies, sessionStorage, and IE8 or “How can I log into two webmail
accounts at the same time?”".

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

TeigeJDavidson

RE: IE8 multiple window behavior change
I should stated the question:

Is this a "feature" or a bug in IE8 ?

"TeigeJDavidson" wrote:

> IE7 and earlier allowed you to load 2 separate windows for a single domain /
> website w/o cookies from one window affecting the other.
>
> When attempting to use IE8 to load 2 separate windows / sessions for a
> single site / same domain, the cookies cross over and now prevent 2 different
> sessions from being loaded.
>
> Thus, if you log into hotmail (or other sites like webmail.aol.com etc) in
> one window and you open a brand new window from the start menu, and navigate
> to hotmail, you are automatically logged in as the user from the other
> window. Note: I did not use the save my password feature.

TeigeJDavidson

Re: IE8 multiple window behavior change
Thanks, that answered my question perfectly

TeigeJDavidson wrote:

> Thanks, that answered my question perfectly

You're welcome. Glad to help and thanks for your feedback.

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

> "Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> TeigeJDavidson wrote:
>>
>>> IE7 and earlier allowed you to load 2 separate windows for a single
>>> domain / website w/o cookies from one window affecting the other.
>>>
>>> When attempting to use IE8 to load 2 separate windows / sessions for a
>>> single site / same domain, the cookies cross over and now prevent 2
>>> different sessions from being loaded.
>>>
>>> Thus, if you log into hotmail (or other sites like webmail.aol.com etc)
>>> in one window and you open a brand new window from the start menu, and
>>> navigate to hotmail, you are automatically logged in as the user from
>>> the other window. Note: I did not use the save my password feature.

>> See if this article helps:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...e-and-ie8.aspx
>> "Session Cookies, sessionStorage, and IE8 or “How can I log into two
>> webmail accounts at the same time?”".
>>
>> --
>> Vincenzo Di Russo
>> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
>> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
>> My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
>> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

Jean Rosenfeld

Re: IE8 multiple window behavior change
It is a feature.
"TeigeJDavidson" <TeigeJDavidson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I should stated the question:
>
> Is this a "feature" or a bug in IE8 ?
>
> "TeigeJDavidson" wrote:
>
>> IE7 and earlier allowed you to load 2 separate windows for a single
>> domain /
>> website w/o cookies from one window affecting the other.
>>
>> When attempting to use IE8 to load 2 separate windows / sessions for a
>> single site / same domain, the cookies cross over and now prevent 2
>> different
>> sessions from being loaded.
>>
>> Thus, if you log into hotmail (or other sites like webmail.aol.com etc)
>> in
>> one window and you open a brand new window from the start menu, and
>> navigate
>> to hotmail, you are automatically logged in as the user from the other
>> window. Note: I did not use the save my password feature.

sergio

Re: IE8 multiple window behavior change
Hi Vincenzo, I found your article helpfull but there is more to this issue
that I think points to a bug.

Steps:

1. Lauch IE 8 from the start menu or the desktop short cut
2. Go to a site that requires cookie authentication, like delta.com,
bankofamerica.com, etc.
3. Click on a link on the site that opens up a pop up window.
4. As you pointed out, the pop up window will share the session and will not
require you to login again HOWEVER,
5. Close the popup window. When you do so, your session will be closed and
now any activity on the original parent window will force you to authenticate
again.

This can not possibly be desired behavior, and it does not occur with IE 7,
FireFox, or Safari. I'm sure that I am not the only person who is
experiencing this major change in behavior with common day to day sites since
upgrading to IE 8.

BTW, this problem does not manifest itself if when InPrivate Browsing is
turned on.

Thank you, and please let me know if there is someplace else where I should
post this to get it escalated as a bug. In the mean time, I plan on going
back to IE 7.

"Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" wrote:

> TeigeJDavidson wrote:
>
> > IE7 and earlier allowed you to load 2 separate windows for a single
> > domain / website w/o cookies from one window affecting the other.
> >
> > When attempting to use IE8 to load 2 separate windows / sessions for a
> > single site / same domain, the cookies cross over and now prevent 2
> > different sessions from being loaded.
> >
> > Thus, if you log into hotmail (or other sites like webmail.aol.com etc) in
> > one window and you open a brand new window from the start menu, and
> > navigate to hotmail, you are automatically logged in as the user from the
> > other window. Note: I did not use the save my password feature.

> See if this article helps:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...e-and-ie8.aspx
> "Session Cookies, sessionStorage, and IE8 or “How can I log into two webmail
> accounts at the same time?”".
>
> --
> Vincenzo Di Russo
> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
> My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

Re: IE8 multiple window behavior change
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post.

sergio wrote:
> Hi Vincenzo, I found your article helpfull but there is more to this issue
> that I think points to a bug.
>
> Steps:
>
> 1. Lauch IE 8 from the start menu or the desktop short cut
> 2. Go to a site that requires cookie authentication, like delta.com,
> bankofamerica.com, etc.
> 3. Click on a link on the site that opens up a pop up window.
> 4. As you pointed out, the pop up window will share the session and will
> not
> require you to login again HOWEVER,
> 5. Close the popup window. When you do so, your session will be closed
> and
> now any activity on the original parent window will force you to
> authenticate again.
>
> This can not possibly be desired behavior, and it does not occur with IE
> 7,
> FireFox, or Safari. I'm sure that I am not the only person who is
> experiencing this major change in behavior with common day to day sites
> since upgrading to IE 8.
>
> BTW, this problem does not manifest itself if when InPrivate Browsing is
> turned on.
>
> Thank you, and please let me know if there is someplace else where I
> should
> post this to get it escalated as a bug. In the mean time, I plan on going
> back to IE 7.

<snip hijacked thread from Aug-09>