Another SP3 question

Dave

Another SP3 question
I downloaded/installed SP3 in my Win XP system that was already at SP2.
Actually, I didn't just download SP3 and then install SP3, it was done all
at once - download and install. - no other choices. A very long procedure
on a dialup system. For other reasons (need to go from OE6 to OE7), I now
need to uninstall the SP3. Is there any way to avoid the 60 mg download to
start out? I never got the usual chance to 'Save' or 'Install"
Thx
Dave
WinXP SP3 OE6

Gordon

Re: Another SP3 question

"Dave" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
> I downloaded/installed SP3 in my Win XP system that was already at SP2.
> Actually, I didn't just download SP3 and then install SP3, it was done
> all at once - download and install. - no other choices. A very long
> procedure on a dialup system. For other reasons (need to go from OE6 to
> OE7), I now need to uninstall the SP3. Is there any way to avoid the 60
> mg download to start out? I never got the usual chance to 'Save' or
> 'Install"
> Thx
> Dave
> WinXP SP3 OE6

Don't know whether you typo'd or not - there IS no "OE7"......did you mean
IE7, and in that case AFAIK you can certainly install IE7 on XP without
first removing SP3...

Bruce Hagen

Re: Another SP3 question
First, there is no such thing as OE7. However, you can download SP3 from the
link below and Save it. (Put it on a DVD as well). Then you can install it
at your convenience like any other program.

Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 here:

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

"Dave" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded/installed SP3 in my Win XP system that was already at SP2.
>Actually, I didn't just download SP3 and then install SP3, it was done all
>at once - download and install. - no other choices. A very long
>procedure on a dialup system. For other reasons (need to go from OE6 to
>OE7), I now need to uninstall the SP3. Is there any way to avoid the 60 mg
>download to start out? I never got the usual chance to 'Save' or 'Install"
> Thx
> Dave
> WinXP SP3 OE6

Dave

Re: Another SP3 question
You're right Gordon - I typo'd - meant IE7
However, the word I got previously was "Just like IE8, IE7 is uninstallable
as long as WniXP SP3 was installed first." I'm making this more of a
project than it should be :-)

Dave

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Dave" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
>> I downloaded/installed SP3 in my Win XP system that was already at SP2.
>> Actually, I didn't just download SP3 and then install SP3, it was done
>> all at once - download and install. - no other choices. A very long
>> procedure on a dialup system. For other reasons (need to go from OE6 to
>> OE7), I now need to uninstall the SP3. Is there any way to avoid the 60
>> mg download to start out? I never got the usual chance to 'Save' or
>> 'Install"
>> Thx
>> Dave
>> WinXP SP3 OE6
>>

> Don't know whether you typo'd or not - there IS no "OE7"......did you mean
> IE7, and in that case AFAIK you can certainly install IE7 on XP without
> first removing SP3...

Dave

Re: Another SP3 question
Right Bruce, and thank you - and yes, I meant IE7. Downloading and saving
SP3 is really good news - I have several machines to do.

Thx everybody. I should be all set.
Dave

> You're right Gordon - I typo'd - meant IE7
> However, the word I got previously was "Just like IE8, IE7 is
> uninstallable as long as WniXP SP3 was installed first." I'm making this
> more of a project than it should be :-)

AFAIK you can certainly install IE7 on top of XP SP3......the only caveat
AFAIR is that you then have to uninstall SP3 before you can revert to IE6,
but hey, who would want to? ;-)

Dave

Re: Another SP3 question
Hi Bruce - that site is apparently only for the "Network Pros" (which I am
definitely not) at ~316 mb. The "smaller, more appropriate" download for
one comp is what I did before. Actually, the 60 mg download was only an
installer, but the entire download was much more. Was it really much
different then the 316 mg method?

I think Gordon has it right "the only caveat AFAIR is that you then have to
uninstall SP3 before you can revert to IE6,
but hey, who would want to? ;-) "

Thanks Gordon
and everybody else too.
Dave

"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
> First, there is no such thing as OE7. However, you can download SP3 from
> the link below and Save it. (Put it on a DVD as well). Then you can
> install it at your convenience like any other program.
>
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
> http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/950717
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm
>
> Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 here:
>
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Dave" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
>>I downloaded/installed SP3 in my Win XP system that was already at SP2.
>>Actually, I didn't just download SP3 and then install SP3, it was done
>>all at once - download and install. - no other choices. A very long
>>procedure on a dialup system. For other reasons (need to go from OE6 to
>>OE7), I now need to uninstall the SP3. Is there any way to avoid the 60
>>mg download to start out? I never got the usual chance to 'Save' or
>>'Install"
>> Thx
>> Dave
>> WinXP SP3 OE6

Tom Willett

Re: Another SP3 question
You can still download it. It's the only way to get a standalone version.
:
: I think Gordon has it right "the only caveat AFAIR is that you then have
: uninstall SP3 before you can revert to IE6,
: but hey, who would want to? ;-) "
:
: Thanks Gordon
: and everybody else too.
: Dave
:
:
:
: "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
: news:OSlt96YJKHA.356@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
: > First, there is no such thing as OE7. However, you can download SP3 from
: > the link below and Save it. (Put it on a DVD as well). Then you can
: > install it at your convenience like any other program.
: >
: > Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
: > http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/950717
: >
: > WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
: >
: >
: > Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
: >
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm
: >
: > Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 here:
: >
: > --
: >
: > Bruce Hagen
: > MS-MVP [Mail]
: > Imperial Beach, CA
: >
: >
: > "Dave" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
: > news:e9mEK0YJKHA.1340@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
: >>I downloaded/installed SP3 in my Win XP system that was already at SP2.
: >>Actually, I didn't just download SP3 and then install SP3, it was done
: >>all at once - download and install. - no other choices. A very long
: >>procedure on a dialup system. For other reasons (need to go from OE6 to
: >>OE7), I now need to uninstall the SP3. Is there any way to avoid the 60
: >>mg download to start out? I never got the usual chance to 'Save' or
: >>'Install"
: >> Thx
: >> Dave
: >> WinXP SP3 OE6
: >>
: >
:
:

Bruce Hagen

Re: Another SP3 question
Pretty much, WYSIWYG. The only alternative would be to order SP3 on CD.

https://om2.one.microsoft.com/opa/Va...vaScriptOn=yes
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Dave" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
> Hi Bruce - that site is apparently only for the "Network Pros" (which I am
> definitely not) at ~316 mb. The "smaller, more appropriate" download for
> one comp is what I did before. Actually, the 60 mg download was only an
> installer, but the entire download was much more. Was it really much
> different then the 316 mg method?
>
> I think Gordon has it right "the only caveat AFAIR is that you then have
> to uninstall SP3 before you can revert to IE6,
> but hey, who would want to? ;-) "
>
> Thanks Gordon
> and everybody else too.
> Dave
>

> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> First, there is no such thing as OE7. However, you can download SP3 from
>> the link below and Save it. (Put it on a DVD as well). Then you can
>> install it at your convenience like any other program.
>>
>> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
>> http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/950717
>>
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>
>> Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm
>>
>> Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 here:
>>
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP [Mail]
>> Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Dave" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
>>>I downloaded/installed SP3 in my Win XP system that was already at SP2.
>>>Actually, I didn't just download SP3 and then install SP3, it was done
>>>all at once - download and install. - no other choices. A very long
>>>procedure on a dialup system. For other reasons (need to go from OE6 to
>>>OE7), I now need to uninstall the SP3. Is there any way to avoid the 60
>>>mg download to start out? I never got the usual chance to 'Save' or
>>>'Install"
>>> Thx
>>> Dave
>>> WinXP SP3 OE6

~alan HDX~

Re: Another SP3 question
would a system restore work to get behind the sp3 install?