IE8 has trouble loading web sites !

Dave Porter

IE8 has trouble loading web sites !
Hi all,

This problem existed during IE7 and now IE8 on my XP box...

Sometimes ( in fact maybe 80% of the time ), when I fire up IE to go to a web site I'm working on,
it just hangs ( makes no difference what web site ! ).

Sometimes I then close it, fire it up again and it is OK ( sometimes problem persists ).

I have latest versions of FF, Safari, Opera and Chrome and they all work fine !

any one have any thoughts ?

cheers Dave Porter
KannanSampathKumar

RE: IE8 has trouble loading web sites !
Please check for updates available for your version of XP and IE. Download
and install the updates.

"Dave Porter" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This problem existed during IE7 and now IE8 on my XP box...
>
> Sometimes ( in fact maybe 80% of the time ), when I fire up IE to go to a web site I'm working on,
> it just hangs ( makes no difference what web site ! ).
>
> Sometimes I then close it, fire it up again and it is OK ( sometimes problem persists ).
>
> I have latest versions of FF, Safari, Opera and Chrome and they all work fine !
>
> any one have any thoughts ?
>
> cheers Dave Porter

Dave Porter

Re: IE8 has trouble loading web sites !
Thank you, but do you mean other than the normal monthly updates ?
All normal automatic updates are installed every month ?
Plus as i mentioned this problem has existed since before IE8 was released !
regards, Dave

KannanSampathKumar wrote:
> Please check for updates available for your version of XP and IE. Download
> and install the updates.
>
> "Dave Porter" wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This problem existed during IE7 and now IE8 on my XP box...
>>
>> Sometimes ( in fact maybe 80% of the time ), when I fire up IE to go to a web site I'm working on,
>> it just hangs ( makes no difference what web site ! ).
>>
>> Sometimes I then close it, fire it up again and it is OK ( sometimes problem persists ).
>>
>> I have latest versions of FF, Safari, Opera and Chrome and they all work fine !
>>
>> any one have any thoughts ?
>>
>> cheers Dave Porter

KannanSampathKumar

RE: IE8 has trouble loading web sites !
I also saw similar problems with other XP installations when upgrading from
IE7 to IE8. The message i received was IE needs updation for XP-Mime type.
After installing this update there was no problem.

As suggested by you the web site you are trying to view also did not work in
IE 7. Therefore, site compatibilty for IE7 to IE8 does not seem to be the
issue.

"Dave Porter" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This problem existed during IE7 and now IE8 on my XP box...
>
> Sometimes ( in fact maybe 80% of the time ), when I fire up IE to go to a web site I'm working on,
> it just hangs ( makes no difference what web site ! ).
>
> Sometimes I then close it, fire it up again and it is OK ( sometimes problem persists ).
>
> I have latest versions of FF, Safari, Opera and Chrome and they all work fine !
>
> any one have any thoughts ?
>
> cheers Dave Porter

Dave Porter

Re: IE8 has trouble loading web sites !
Thanks again...

I've Googled for this but can't seem to find anything relevant...
Could you point me to what I need to download and where to find it please ?

Regards, Dave Porter

KannanSampathKumar wrote:
> I also saw similar problems with other XP installations when upgrading from
> IE7 to IE8. The message i received was IE needs updation for XP-Mime type.
> After installing this update there was no problem.
>
> As suggested by you the web site you are trying to view also did not work in
> IE 7. Therefore, site compatibilty for IE7 to IE8 does not seem to be the
> issue.
>

> "Dave Porter" wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This problem existed during IE7 and now IE8 on my XP box...
>>
>> Sometimes ( in fact maybe 80% of the time ), when I fire up IE to go to a web site I'm working on,
>> it just hangs ( makes no difference what web site ! ).
>>
>> Sometimes I then close it, fire it up again and it is OK ( sometimes problem persists ).
>>
>> I have latest versions of FF, Safari, Opera and Chrome and they all work fine !
>>
>> any one have any thoughts ?
>>
>> cheers Dave Porter

Re: IE8 has trouble loading web sites !
Upgrading in hopes of fixing an existing problem is seldom a good idea.
That being said...

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
this newsgroup.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
www.banthecheck.com

Dave Porter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This problem existed during IE7 and now IE8 on my XP box...
>
> Sometimes ( in fact maybe 80% of the time ), when I fire up IE to go to a
> web site I'm working on, it just hangs ( makes no difference what web site
> ! ).
> Sometimes I then close it, fire it up again and it is OK ( sometimes
> problem persists ).
> I have latest versions of FF, Safari, Opera and Chrome and they all work
> fine !
> any one have any thoughts ?
>
> cheers Dave Porter

Dave Porter

Re: IE8 has trouble loading web sites !
Thanks very much for your in-depth reply.

Sorry for not posting version, it is SP3

I will run through your other suggestions and questions and get back to you.

regards, Dave

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Upgrading in hopes of fixing an existing problem is seldom a good idea.
> That being said...
>
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> this newsgroup.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
> start IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed IE8?
>
> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?

Re: IE8 has trouble loading web sites !
Okie-dokie...