Has IE8 been removed as a priority update?

cranheim

Has IE8 been removed as a priority update?
I looked at my update status tonight, and saw that IE 8 is no longer listed
as one of my priority updates. IE 7 is still listed, but not IE 8. What
happened? I am presently running IE 6. IE 8 has been showing up daily, until
tonight. I had IE 7 update disabled from view for a long time. When IE 8 did
not show up, I asked to see what I had disabled, and found IE 7 was still
there ready to install.

Charles Ranheim

MHL

Re: Has IE8 been removed as a priority update?
Just download the installer if you want it. Sounds like you haven't wanted
it, though.

"cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
> I looked at my update status tonight, and saw that IE 8 is no longer
> listed as one of my priority updates. IE 7 is still listed, but not IE 8.
> What happened? I am presently running IE 6. IE 8 has been showing up
> daily, until tonight. I had IE 7 update disabled from view for a long
> time. When IE 8 did not show up, I asked to see what I had disabled, and
> found IE 7 was still there ready to install.
>
> Charles Ranheim

cranheim

Re: Has IE8 been removed as a priority update?
I have been waiting until fall to install it as a priority update because I
read MS would support it if I updated it before the end of the year. I
wanted to give MS more time to make additions/corrections before I go for
it. I was just surprised it did not show up when I did the scan for current
updates. Something must have changed. Charles Ranheim

"MHL" <booyakasha at mac dot com> wrote in message
> Just download the installer if you want it. Sounds like you haven't wanted
> it, though.
>
> "cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
>> I looked at my update status tonight, and saw that IE 8 is no longer
>> listed as one of my priority updates. IE 7 is still listed, but not IE 8.
>> What happened? I am presently running IE 6. IE 8 has been showing up
>> daily, until tonight. I had IE 7 update disabled from view for a long
>> time. When IE 8 did not show up, I asked to see what I had disabled, and
>> found IE 7 was still there ready to install.
>>
>> Charles Ranheim

Bruce Hagen

Re: Has IE8 been removed as a priority update?
When you're ready for it, get it from the download site. You can control the
installation better than you can using WU/MU anyway.

Download IE8 to your Desktop. Do not use Windows or Microsoft Updates.

Internet Explorer 8 download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-08cdecd8852b

Restart your computer. With no other programs running, disable your
anti-virus program and any spyware or spam programs you may have. If you are
running a third party firewall, disable it and enable the Windows firewall.

Now install IE8 from the Desktop. When you're done, restart your computer
twice and then make sure your disabled programs are running again.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

>I have been waiting until fall to install it as a priority update because I
>read MS would support it if I updated it before the end of the year. I
>wanted to give MS more time to make additions/corrections before I go for
>it. I was just surprised it did not show up when I did the scan for current
>updates. Something must have changed. Charles Ranheim
>
> "MHL" <booyakasha at mac dot com> wrote in message
>> Just download the installer if you want it. Sounds like you haven't
>> wanted it, though.
>>
>> "cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
>>> I looked at my update status tonight, and saw that IE 8 is no longer
>>> listed as one of my priority updates. IE 7 is still listed, but not IE
>>> 8. What happened? I am presently running IE 6. IE 8 has been showing up
>>> daily, until tonight. I had IE 7 update disabled from view for a long
>>> time. When IE 8 did not show up, I asked to see what I had disabled, and
>>> found IE 7 was still there ready to install.
>>>
>>> Charles Ranheim

Re: Has IE8 been removed as a priority update?
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

Unless something's gone temporarily haywire on the update server, Windows
Update should only be offering IE8 to WinXP & higher.

Any chance you'd hidden IE8 already?

cranheim wrote:
> I looked at my update status tonight, and saw that IE 8 is no longer
> listed
> as one of my priority updates. IE 7 is still listed, but not IE 8. What
> happened? I am presently running IE 6. IE 8 has been showing up daily,
> until
> tonight. I had IE 7 update disabled from view for a long time. When IE 8
> did
> not show up, I asked to see what I had disabled, and found IE 7 was still
> there ready to install.
>
> Charles Ranheim

cranheim

Re: Has IE8 been removed as a priority update?
I am running Windows XP, SP3. When I looked today, IE 8 was listed! I don't
know why it did not show yesterday. The only Update I have hidden is IE 7.
When IE 8 failed to show as an update, I thought perhaps it was removed
because of excessive problems, and the fact (I think) IE 6 will be supported
until 2014 by MS. Thanks for your response. Charles Ranheim

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> when posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Unless something's gone temporarily haywire on the update server, Windows
> Update should only be offering IE8 to WinXP & higher.
>
> Any chance you'd hidden IE8 already?
>
> cranheim wrote:
>> I looked at my update status tonight, and saw that IE 8 is no longer
>> listed
>> as one of my priority updates. IE 7 is still listed, but not IE 8. What
>> happened? I am presently running IE 6. IE 8 has been showing up daily,
>> until
>> tonight. I had IE 7 update disabled from view for a long time. When IE 8
>> did
>> not show up, I asked to see what I had disabled, and found IE 7 was still
>> there ready to install.
>>
>> Charles Ranheim

Re: Has IE8 been removed as a priority update?
It turns out that IE8 was briefly pulled over the weekend (and replaced by
IE7 for WinXP computers) in preparation for the updated version that was
re-released on Tuesday, 25 Aug-09. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199:

<QP>
Changes to existing non-security content:

Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista
• Packages refreshed for latest cumulative security updates and
compatibility view list.
• Packages have changed, and binaries have changed.
• This update does not have to be reinstalled.

Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP
• Packages refreshed for a change to the Internet Explorer Setup user
experience.
• Packages have changed, and binaries have changed.
• This update does not have to be reinstalled.
</QP>

Now you know as much as I do. <wink>

cranheim wrote:
> I am running Windows XP, SP3. When I looked today, IE 8 was listed! I
> don't
> know why it did not show yesterday. The only Update I have hidden is IE 7.
> When IE 8 failed to show as an update, I thought perhaps it was removed
> because of excessive problems, and the fact (I think) IE 6 will be
> supported
> until 2014 by MS. Thanks for your response. Charles Ranheim

>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> Unless something's gone temporarily haywire on the update server, Windows
>> Update should only be offering IE8 to WinXP & higher.
>>
>> Any chance you'd hidden IE8 already?
>>
>> cranheim wrote:
>>> I looked at my update status tonight, and saw that IE 8 is no longer
>>> listed
>>> as one of my priority updates. IE 7 is still listed, but not IE 8. What
>>> happened? I am presently running IE 6. IE 8 has been showing up daily,
>>> until
>>> tonight. I had IE 7 update disabled from view for a long time. When IE 8
>>> did
>>> not show up, I asked to see what I had disabled, and found IE 7 was
>>> still
>>> there ready to install.
>>>
>>> Charles Ranheim

cranheim

Re: Has IE8 been removed as a priority update?
Bruce Hagen,
I followed your instructions and downloaded and installed IE8. It worked
great! I went from IE6 to IE8, after having a bad experience with IE7, and
had to go back to IE6. I have been using IE8 for a couple of days, and
deliberately tried to hang it by opening many copies at a time. This used to
cause problems with IE6, but IE8 was completely stable. Bless you my Child.
I appreciate your help very much. Charles Ranheim

"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
> When you're ready for it, get it from the download site. You can control
> the installation better than you can using WU/MU anyway.
>
> Download IE8 to your Desktop. Do not use Windows or Microsoft Updates.
>
> Internet Explorer 8 download:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-08cdecd8852b
>
> Restart your computer. With no other programs running, disable your
> anti-virus program and any spyware or spam programs you may have. If you
> are running a third party firewall, disable it and enable the Windows
> firewall.
>
> Now install IE8 from the Desktop. When you're done, restart your computer
> twice and then make sure your disabled programs are running again.
> --
>
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
>>I have been waiting until fall to install it as a priority update because
>>I read MS would support it if I updated it before the end of the year. I
>>wanted to give MS more time to make additions/corrections before I go for
>>it. I was just surprised it did not show up when I did the scan for
>>current updates. Something must have changed. Charles Ranheim
>>
>> "MHL" <booyakasha at mac dot com> wrote in message
>>> Just download the installer if you want it. Sounds like you haven't
>>> wanted it, though.

Bruce Hagen

Re: Has IE8 been removed as a priority update?
You're welcome. Glad it worked out & thanks for the feedback.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]