IE8/YahooGroups/hover color

DMP

IE8/YahooGroups/hover color
Spouse uses IE8 to read Yahoo Groups to which he belongs and complained that
the browser no longer saves read messages by changing colors. It makes it a
bit cumbersome to remember where you left off reading.

I looked at my copy of IE8, which I don't use much and went into the Yahoos
Groups and mine doesn't remember what messages were last read either. I
searched around IE8 every place I could think of and searched in Yahoo
Groups. There is no preferences setting in Yahoo that I could find. The only
thing I came close to was the "hover colors" window in IE8 that I found at
the bottom of the Internet options window, but the thing is grayed-out.

Again, I really don't know if this is an IE8 issue, but it wasn't a problem
in IE7. I don't ever remember having to fool with the browser so it will
remember we left off reading in message groups.

This is not a devastating problem, but more of a daily annoyance. TIA

D.

MHL

Re: IE8/YahooGroups/hover color
I just joined a group, manchestercity2, and the messages change color after
I've read them.

"DMP" <noname@nodomain.com> wrote in message
> Spouse uses IE8 to read Yahoo Groups to which he belongs and complained
> that the browser no longer saves read messages by changing colors. It
> makes it a bit cumbersome to remember where you left off reading.
>
> I looked at my copy of IE8, which I don't use much and went into the
> Yahoos Groups and mine doesn't remember what messages were last read
> either. I searched around IE8 every place I could think of and searched in
> Yahoo Groups. There is no preferences setting in Yahoo that I could find.
> The only thing I came close to was the "hover colors" window in IE8 that I
> found at the bottom of the Internet options window, but the thing is
> grayed-out.
>
> Again, I really don't know if this is an IE8 issue, but it wasn't a
> problem in IE7. I don't ever remember having to fool with the browser so
> it will remember we left off reading in message groups.
>
> This is not a devastating problem, but more of a daily annoyance. TIA
>
> D.

N. Miller

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 05:38:31 -0400, DMP wrote:

> Spouse uses IE8 to read Yahoo Groups to which he belongs and complained that
> the browser no longer saves read messages by changing colors. It makes it a
> bit cumbersome to remember where you left off reading.
>
> I looked at my copy of IE8, which I don't use much and went into the Yahoos
> Groups and mine doesn't remember what messages were last read either. I
> searched around IE8 every place I could think of and searched in Yahoo
> Groups. There is no preferences setting in Yahoo that I could find. The only
> thing I came close to was the "hover colors" window in IE8 that I found at
> the bottom of the Internet options window, but the thing is grayed-out.
>
> Again, I really don't know if this is an IE8 issue, but it wasn't a problem
> in IE7. I don't ever remember having to fool with the browser so it will
> remember we left off reading in message groups.
>
> This is not a devastating problem, but more of a daily annoyance. TIA

I don't use IE8 all that much. But checking message in a Yahoo! Group I am
subscribed to works as expected. Read messages are a different color. Not
knowing anything about the browser settings, I'd either be poking around the
browser menus (if it was a serious annoyance I wanted to be rid of; or if I
was just plain curious), or just forget about it, (if it was just a minor
annoyance).

Just cruising through, though, nothing stood out comparable to other
browsers, where you can choose the read links color. Maybe I'll take another
look sometime.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
Don Varnau

Re: IE8/YahooGroups/hover color
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista? (Might or might not be important.)

Try clearing the IE history and see that "Days to keep history" is a
reasonable number (less than 25-30 days.)

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"DMP" <noname@nodomain.com> wrote in message
> Spouse uses IE8 to read Yahoo Groups to which he belongs and complained

that
> the browser no longer saves read messages by changing colors. It makes it

> bit cumbersome to remember where you left off reading.
>
> I looked at my copy of IE8, which I don't use much and went into the

Yahoos
> Groups and mine doesn't remember what messages were last read either. I
> searched around IE8 every place I could think of and searched in Yahoo
> Groups. There is no preferences setting in Yahoo that I could find. The

only
> thing I came close to was the "hover colors" window in IE8 that I found at
> the bottom of the Internet options window, but the thing is grayed-out.
>
> Again, I really don't know if this is an IE8 issue, but it wasn't a

problem
> in IE7. I don't ever remember having to fool with the browser so it will
> remember we left off reading in message groups.
>
> This is not a devastating problem, but more of a daily annoyance. TIA
>
> D.

DMP

> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista? (Might or might not be important.)
>
> Try clearing the IE history and see that "Days to keep history" is a
> reasonable number (less than 25-30 days.)
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]

Thanks to those that replied.

Perhaps I wasn't clear...the color changes, when the message is being read,
the PC just doesn't "remember" what messages were read when you go back to
the group.

Windows XP SP3 is the OS. I will the the clearing the IE history and make
sure the "days to keep history" are within the recommended citeria. I'll
advise of the results. Thanks.

D.

DMP

>> Hi,
>> Windows XP or Vista? (Might or might not be important.)
>>
>> Try clearing the IE history and see that "Days to keep history" is a
>> reasonable number (less than 25-30 days.)
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>

> Thanks to those that replied.
>
> Perhaps I wasn't clear...the color changes, when the message is being
> read, the PC just doesn't "remember" what messages were read when you go
> back to the group.
>
> Windows XP SP3 is the OS. I will the the clearing the IE history and make
> sure the "days to keep history" are within the recommended citeria. I'll
> advise of the results. Thanks.
>
> D.

The problem has been fixed. The IE history was cleared and the "Days to keep
history" was dropped to 20.

I also noticed that the "delete history upon exit" was checked. Perhaps that
had something to do with this issue????Husband said he's never fooled with
that checkbox. I looked at my browser settings and that box was checked for
me also, although that very well may be the default setting. I am not sure
because I don't use IE8 very much. I cleared my IE history, changed the
"days to remember" and now all is working. Learn something new
everyday....Thanks Don and to OP's who took time to respond.

Diane

Don Varnau

Re: IE8/YahooGroups/hover color
Hi,
> I also noticed that the "delete history upon exit" was checked

That would have caused the problem. I should have mentioned that
possibility.
Thanks for the update.

Don