IE8 'Not responding'

webster72n

IE8 'Not responding'
I am experiencing frequent occurrences of my Internet Explorer 8 'Not
responding'.
While being able to cope with it successfully and without loosing
information, it still presents an annoyance.
What may be causing this and how can it be circumvented?

Harry.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 'Not responding'
Does the problem occur when you start IE 8 from the 'no add-ons' icon?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

webster72n wrote:
> I am experiencing frequent occurrences of my Internet Explorer 8 'Not
> responding'.
> While being able to cope with it successfully and without loosing
> information, it still presents an annoyance.
> What may be causing this and how can it be circumvented?
>
> Harry.

webster72n

Re: IE8 'Not responding'

> Does the problem occur when you start IE 8 from the 'no add-ons' icon?

It seems to happen in the middle of any action, either on the desktop or on
the web and it's hard to tell what the cause might be. Sometimes I think my
fingers are too quick with the click <g>.

> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> webster72n wrote:
>> I am experiencing frequent occurrences of my Internet Explorer 8 'Not
>> responding'.
>> While being able to cope with it successfully and without loosing
>> information, it still presents an annoyance.
>> What may be causing this and how can it be circumvented?
>>
>> Harry.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 'Not responding'
Please report your results after starting IE from the 'no add-ons' icon.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

webster72n wrote:

>> Does the problem occur when you start IE 8 from the 'no add-ons' icon?

> It seems to happen in the middle of any action, either on the desktop or
> on the web and it's hard to tell what the cause might be. Sometimes I
> think my fingers are too quick with the click <g>.
>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> webster72n wrote:
>>> I am experiencing frequent occurrences of my Internet Explorer 8
>>> 'Not responding'.
>>> While being able to cope with it successfully and without loosing
>>> information, it still presents an annoyance.
>>> What may be causing this and how can it be circumvented?
>>>
>>> Harry.

webster72n

Re: IE8 'Not responding'

> Please report your results after starting IE from the 'no add-ons' icon.

Where is this animal to be found?
I have only one and that seems to include my 'chosen' add-ons.
Pardon my ignorance.

> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> webster72n wrote:
>>

>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Does the problem occur when you start IE 8 from the 'no add-ons' icon?

>> It seems to happen in the middle of any action, either on the desktop or
>> on the web and it's hard to tell what the cause might be. Sometimes I
>> think my fingers are too quick with the click <g>.
>>
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 'Not responding'
Unfortunately, you didn't tell us what version of Windows you have.

If you have Windows XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System
Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

If you have Windows Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start
Search box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
caused by one of the add-ons you installed.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

webster72n wrote:

>> Please report your results after starting IE from the 'no add-ons' icon.

> Where is this animal to be found?
> I have only one and that seems to include my 'chosen' add-ons.
> Pardon my ignorance.
>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> webster72n wrote:
>>>

>>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> It seems to happen in the middle of any action, either on the desktop
>>> or on the web and it's hard to tell what the cause might be.
>>> Sometimes I think my fingers are too quick with the click <g>.

webster72n

Re: IE8 'Not responding'

> Unfortunately, you didn't tell us what version of Windows you have.
>
> If you have Windows XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools
> > Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

> If you have Windows Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start
> Search box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being caused
> by one of the add-ons you installed.

This story becomes more intriguing all the time.
Sorry to have neglected to mention Vista, but following your instructions, I
am being told that IE is currently running without add-ons, yet when I click
on 'Tools' and open 'manage add-ons', there are quite a few, or should I say
several add-ons listed as 'enabled'.
How can this be sorted out?
Didn't mean to turn out to be a menace.

> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> webster72n wrote:
>>

>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Please report your results after starting IE from the 'no add-ons' icon.

>> Where is this animal to be found?
>> I have only one and that seems to include my 'chosen' add-ons.
>> Pardon my ignorance.
>>
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 'Not responding'
"webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%231A%236KFJKHA.4432@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

>> Unfortunately, you didn't tell us what version of Windows you have.
>>
>> If you have Windows XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools
>> > Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

>> If you have Windows Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start
>> Search box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
>> following target path:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>>
>> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being caused
>> by one of the add-ons you installed.

> This story becomes more intriguing all the time.
> Sorry to have neglected to mention Vista, but following your instructions, I
> am being told that IE is currently running without add-ons, yet when I click
> on 'Tools' and open 'manage add-ons', there are quite a few, or should I say
> several add-ons listed as 'enabled'.

> How can this be sorted out?

That is normal. No Add-ons mode is a way of testing disabling all add-ons
without actually using the Manage Add-ons UI to do that with each individual
add-on. It's similar to the way IE users could earlier test the disabling of all
BHOs without actually disabling or removing any particular one by using:
[Uncheck] Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)
(in Options, Advanced tab, Browsing section)

In fact, the latter option is still available to IE users. I'm not sure if it is just
redundant or if there would be any quirky differences from using either just it
or both at the same time. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> Didn't mean to turn out to be a menace.
>

>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> webster72n wrote:
>>>

>>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Where is this animal to be found?
>>> I have only one and that seems to include my 'chosen' add-ons.
>>> Pardon my ignorance.

webster72n

Re: IE8 'Not responding'

> "webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Unfortunately, you didn't tell us what version of Windows you have.
>>>
>>> If you have Windows XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System
>>> Tools
>>>
>>> If you have Windows Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start
>>> Search box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>>
>>> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
>>> following target path:
>>>
>>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>>>
>>> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
>>> caused
>>> by one of the add-ons you installed.

>> This story becomes more intriguing all the time.
>> Sorry to have neglected to mention Vista, but following your
>> instructions, I
>> am being told that IE is currently running without add-ons, yet when I
>> click
>> on 'Tools' and open 'manage add-ons', there are quite a few, or should I
>> say
>> several add-ons listed as 'enabled'.

>> How can this be sorted out?

> That is normal. No Add-ons mode is a way of testing disabling all
> add-ons
> without actually using the Manage Add-ons UI to do that with each
> individual
> add-on. It's similar to the way IE users could earlier test the
> disabling of all
> BHOs without actually disabling or removing any particular one by using:
> [Uncheck] Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)
> (in Options, Advanced tab, Browsing section)
>
> In fact, the latter option is still available to IE users. I'm not sure
> if it is just
> redundant or if there would be any quirky differences from using either
> just it
> or both at the same time. ; )

Thanks for the clarification, Robert.
I did accept it as a matter of fact, since I don't have any other problems
whatsoever. Even the nasty 'Not responding' occurrence seems to have
disappeared (think I was a little too quick with the mouse ).

Harry.