retrieving accidentally deleted IE history

hopeful

retrieving accidentally deleted IE history
Hi!

I have a question about viewing IE history that has been deleted.

I have been doing a lot of research, and was paring down my IE history so
that I would be able to easily access the pages I knew had been helpful,
should I need to go back to them.

Under each day of the week, I was deleting each site one-by-one, as I
decided if it was worth keeping for future reference or not. I usually
started with the first site under the "day" (i.e., Mon, Tues, ...), and
worked down. Under Wednesday, I was deleting the unnecessary sites, and
instead of deleting the first one listed "under" Wednesday, I deleted
"Wednesday" (thus my cursor was one-too-high, and instead of deleting a
single site visited on Wed, I deleted the whole 'category' of Wed). All of
the sites visited during that day (hundreds) vanished, of course.

I am hoping and praying that there is a way to get them back. I am
heartsick, as I visited a lot of sites knowing that I could go back to them
should I need to, so didn't take down the info that I was considering.

Is there a way to retrieve the history that was deleted?

I have done a little bit of research online regarding this, but have found
nothing. I found a reference to searching my hard drive for "index.dat"
files (making sure to view hidden files), but the results brought up only two
files, one for a year ago, and one for 8/12, which would be too old. Might I
be overlooking something? Shouldn't there be something recent/current?

I am unsure, though, what to "do" with the index.dat files, if I can locate
something relevant. Might someone be able to educate me about how to
effectively utilize them?

If I am missing some index.dat files, is there an (easy) undelete tool that
can find any "missing" index.dat files? (which would then need a reader).

I have also seen reference to using .dat-reading software, but no one has
mentioned a specific program. Is there an easy program (for a non-technical
person!) that reads these files? If so, I can imagine that the index.dat
files have a lot of information in them -- is there a program that shows the
*date* that the sites were visited, so that I can narrow it down and zoom in
on Wed's?

I also saw reference (many places!) to doing a system restore, and going
back to prior to the deletion, and I did that, but the advice was wrong, as
Wednesday was also missing when I went back to an older restore point.

I also went to c:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\History,
but "Wednesday" was missing there, as well.

Might you be able to educate me about the above questions, and, perhaps more
than that, offer advice about other things I might be able to do?

Here are my questions in a nutshell:
- In general: is there a way to retrieve deleted IE history?
- Should I be able to find a more recent index.dat file? How might I do
that? Might I need an undelete program? (And if I do, is there an [easy]
one suggested for retrieving these files?)
- How do you deal with index.dat files once found? Is there an easy program
for reading them? Does the program list the date associated with them, so
that I can look for the specific date?
- Am I going down the wrong path?
- Are there better, easier, more appropriate ways for finding deleted IE
history?
- Could you educate me about the things I don't even know to ask about? (I
am not tech-literate, so baby-steps would be wonderful!)

I am just panicked about it, as there is no way to retrace my steps, or
duplicate all of the work and research. As I mentioned, I took comfort in
knowing that there was a record of where I had been, so that once I got
further into the research, I could better decide what information I needed
from each site, and go back.

Thank you, so very much! I just can't tell you what it means!

So very gratefully,

Karen

hopeful

RE: retrieving accidentally deleted IE history
Hello again!

I just wanted to add that my OS is XP, with SP3, and IE is #7.

Thank you again oh so very much!

Karen

Don Varnau

Re: retrieving accidentally deleted IE history
Hi,
Belated advice... you should have been placing useful sites in Favorites and
backing up Favorites via IE> File> Import and export.

See if IEHistoryView (NirSoft) http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html can
retrieve the lost history.

Hope this helps,
Don