IE8 JPEG2000 handling - suggestions?

Restroom

IE8 JPEG2000 handling - suggestions?
I realize I'm probably not going to generate a lot of recommendations for
third-party plugin/addon providers, certainly not from official IE Team
members, but I figured it was worth a shot since IE8 doesn't provide
out-of-the-box support for JPEG2000 images. My personal go-to folks for JP2
have always been LuraTech, but I'm not getting anywhere trying to get a hold
of their ActiveX plugin people, so I've fished around with several other free
jp2-capable IE plugins, none of which I can get to cooperate with IE8 on an
XPSP2 machine. I steadfastly refuse to try to work with Quicktime's supposed
JP2 and other wavelet handling capabilities, as not only are these claimed
capacities incorrectly implemented but QT's registry-based MIME handling and
map-to-clsid scheme is a nightmare, as anyone who's had to try to correct it
will attest.

What I'm looking for here is either recommendations for IE8-compatible
inline JP2 viewing controls, plugins, or other schemes by which I can achieve
JP2 viewing functionality within the browser, preferably inline and without
having to invoke some other app to handle the actual display.

Since there are no other mentions of JPEG2000 in the searchable IE newsgroup
hierarchy, I'm not teribly hopeful I'll get a lot of help here, but I hope if
everyone comes up blanks at least they could forward my request on to others
in the loop who don't participate here. Thanks in advance!
rob^_^

Re: IE8 JPEG2000 handling - suggestions?
Hi WC,

https://www.luratech.com/products/im...nt-server.html

This is server based software that converts jpg2000 image formats on the
fly. You could easily do this with a Visual Studio Web service.

Further reading

http://www.jpeg.org/index.html (funny they don't have any jpeg images on
their site....)

We are volunteers and enthusiasts here. MSFT moderate the newsgroup, but
rarely answer questions directly.

I would expect that you can display jpeg images in web pages by just
renaming the file extension, but IE has security settings to "Open files
based upon content not file extension" which would prohibit the broad
adoption of this method.

Regards.