Re: IE 8 Crashes at XP Newsgroup URL, but not others

Re: IE 8 Crashes at XP Newsgroup URL, but not others
[crosspost to IE General]

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
this newsgroup.

Is this a sudden, new problem? Did this happen before you installed IE8?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?
www.banthecheck.com

Chdiamo wrote:
> This is being posted using Mozilla Firefox 3.5 as my IE 8 crashes at the
> XP
> General Newsgroup main site. I have tried to reset it using the Tools >
> Options > Advanced > Reset > Reset, but that doesn't fix the problem. The
> green progress bar is stuck at fully loaded and the message in the lower
> left corner is 1 item remaining to be downloaded, but it never does and
> finally I have to control alt delate out. This problem arose after having
> to establish a new user account when the first one became corrupt. Any
> ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Chdiamo

Re: IE 8 Crashes at XP Newsgroup URL, but not others
Hello again Robear,

IE 8 was already installed on my computer under the old user account. When I
reinstalled XP SP3 in May, I updated IE 7 to 8, or perhaps IE 8 was part of
SP3, I don't know. My anti-virus program is something called Radial Point and
came provided by my ISP, Bell Sympatico. I assume it was running in the
background, along with the other Sympatico Security Manager (also Radial
Point, I assume) anti-spyware and firewall. But, IE 8 worked fine under the
old corrupt user account, but Windows Media Player 11 did not, nor did my 5.1
surround speaker settings work in the old corrupt user account. Now,
everything seems to work fine, except the IE 8 on the forum URL.

But, when my computer misbehaves in one area, I worry that it signals a more
sinister problem in another.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Charlie

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crosspost to IE General]
>
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> this newsgroup.
>
> Is this a sudden, new problem? Did this happen before you installed IE8?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE8?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Chdiamo wrote:
> > This is being posted using Mozilla Firefox 3.5 as my IE 8 crashes at the
> > XP
> > General Newsgroup main site. I have tried to reset it using the Tools >
> > Options > Advanced > Reset > Reset, but that doesn't fix the problem. The
> > green progress bar is stuck at fully loaded and the message in the lower
> > left corner is 1 item remaining to be downloaded, but it never does and
> > finally I have to control alt delate out. This problem arose after having
> > to establish a new user account when the first one became corrupt. Any
> > ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Re: IE 8 Crashes at XP Newsgroup URL, but not others
Are you referring to this "forum URL"? =>
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...ups/list/en-us

Why did you "reinstall" WinXP SP3 in May? Do you mean you reinstalled
Windows? If so, did you do a Repair Install or did you format & do a clean
install?

Neither IE7 nor IE8 is "included with SP3."

Chdiamo wrote:
> Hello again Robear,
>
> IE 8 was already installed on my computer under the old user account. When
> reinstalled XP SP3 in May, I updated IE 7 to 8, or perhaps IE 8 was part
> of
> SP3, I don't know. My anti-virus program is something called Radial Point
> and came provided by my ISP, Bell Sympatico. I assume it was running in
> the
> background, along with the other Sympatico Security Manager (also Radial
> Point, I assume) anti-spyware and firewall. But, IE 8 worked fine under
> the
> old corrupt user account, but Windows Media Player 11 did not, nor did my
> 5.1 surround speaker settings work in the old corrupt user account. Now,
> everything seems to work fine, except the IE 8 on the forum URL.
>
> But, when my computer misbehaves in one area, I worry that it signals a
> more
> sinister problem in another.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> Charlie
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [crosspost to IE General]
>>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
>> this newsgroup.
>>
>> Is this a sudden, new problem? Did this happen before you installed IE8?

>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?
>>
>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> Chdiamo wrote:
>>> This is being posted using Mozilla Firefox 3.5 as my IE 8 crashes at the
>>> XP
>>> General Newsgroup main site. I have tried to reset it using the Tools >
>>> Options > Advanced > Reset > Reset, but that doesn't fix the problem.
>>> The
>>> green progress bar is stuck at fully loaded and the message in the lower
>>> left corner is 1 item remaining to be downloaded, but it never does and
>>> finally I have to control alt delate out. This problem arose after
>>> having
>>> to establish a new user account when the first one became corrupt. Any
>>> ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Chdiamo

Re: IE 8 Crashes at XP Newsgroup URL, but not others
Hello Robear,

May was so long ago I can't remember the specific problem. I formated the
computer and reinstalled everything per Dell tech support. Everything worked
fine until about a week ago when the Windows Media Player wouldn't play any
file. Dell suggested a Repair XP. When that didn't solve the problem, the
second level tech suspected a corrupted user account. The new user account
fixed the WMP issue. Then I encountered problems with the XP General
newsgroup site freezing and crashing IE 8. Last night I reinstalled IE 8, but
that didn't resolve the issue.
I'm now thinking maybe a roll back to IE 7.
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you referring to this "forum URL"? =>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...ups/list/en-us
>
> Why did you "reinstall" WinXP SP3 in May? Do you mean you reinstalled
> Windows? If so, did you do a Repair Install or did you format & do a clean
> install?
>
> Neither IE7 nor IE8 is "included with SP3."
>

> Chdiamo wrote:
> > Hello again Robear,
> >
> > IE 8 was already installed on my computer under the old user account. When
> > reinstalled XP SP3 in May, I updated IE 7 to 8, or perhaps IE 8 was part
> > of
> > SP3, I don't know. My anti-virus program is something called Radial Point
> > and came provided by my ISP, Bell Sympatico. I assume it was running in
> > the
> > background, along with the other Sympatico Security Manager (also Radial
> > Point, I assume) anti-spyware and firewall. But, IE 8 worked fine under
> > the
> > old corrupt user account, but Windows Media Player 11 did not, nor did my
> > 5.1 surround speaker settings work in the old corrupt user account. Now,
> > everything seems to work fine, except the IE 8 on the forum URL.
> >
> > But, when my computer misbehaves in one area, I worry that it signals a
> > more
> > sinister problem in another.
> >
> > Thanks for your suggestions.
> >
> > Charlie
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [crosspost to IE General]
> >>
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> >> this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> Is this a sudden, new problem? Did this happen before you installed IE8?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?
> >>
> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> >> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Chdiamo

Re: IE 8 Crashes at XP Newsgroup URL, but not others
Hello Robear,

Here is the URL that freezes my IE 8:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...dowsxp.general

Charlie

"Chdiamo" wrote:

> Hello Robear,
>
> May was so long ago I can't remember the specific problem. I formated the
> computer and reinstalled everything per Dell tech support. Everything worked
> fine until about a week ago when the Windows Media Player wouldn't play any
> file. Dell suggested a Repair XP. When that didn't solve the problem, the
> second level tech suspected a corrupted user account. The new user account
> fixed the WMP issue. Then I encountered problems with the XP General
> newsgroup site freezing and crashing IE 8. Last night I reinstalled IE 8, but
> that didn't resolve the issue.
> I'm now thinking maybe a roll back to IE 7.
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Are you referring to this "forum URL"? =>
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...ups/list/en-us
> >
> > Why did you "reinstall" WinXP SP3 in May? Do you mean you reinstalled
> > Windows? If so, did you do a Repair Install or did you format & do a clean
> > install?
> >
> > Neither IE7 nor IE8 is "included with SP3."
> >

> > Chdiamo wrote:
> > > Hello again Robear,
> > >
> > > IE 8 was already installed on my computer under the old user account. When
> > > reinstalled XP SP3 in May, I updated IE 7 to 8, or perhaps IE 8 was part
> > > of
> > > SP3, I don't know. My anti-virus program is something called Radial Point
> > > and came provided by my ISP, Bell Sympatico. I assume it was running in
> > > the
> > > background, along with the other Sympatico Security Manager (also Radial
> > > Point, I assume) anti-spyware and firewall. But, IE 8 worked fine under
> > > the
> > > old corrupt user account, but Windows Media Player 11 did not, nor did my
> > > 5.1 surround speaker settings work in the old corrupt user account. Now,
> > > everything seems to work fine, except the IE 8 on the forum URL.
> > >
> > > But, when my computer misbehaves in one area, I worry that it signals a
> > > more
> > > sinister problem in another.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your suggestions.
> > >
> > > Charlie

Chdiamo

Re: IE 8 Crashes at XP Newsgroup URL, but not others
Robear, clicking on the site you provided below seems to have fixed the
problem. It opened without problem, as have all sites EXCEPT this forum, XP
General Newsgroup. After successfully opening-in IE 8-the
communities/newsgroups/list/en=us site, the XP Genereal opened with no
problem. I have no idea what the problem was or why clicking on the site you
provided fixed it, but it did. Thank you.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you referring to this "forum URL"? =>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...ups/list/en-us
>
> Why did you "reinstall" WinXP SP3 in May? Do you mean you reinstalled
> Windows? If so, did you do a Repair Install or did you format & do a clean
> install?
>
> Neither IE7 nor IE8 is "included with SP3."
>

> Chdiamo wrote:
> > Hello again Robear,
> >
> > IE 8 was already installed on my computer under the old user account. When
> > reinstalled XP SP3 in May, I updated IE 7 to 8, or perhaps IE 8 was part
> > of
> > SP3, I don't know. My anti-virus program is something called Radial Point
> > and came provided by my ISP, Bell Sympatico. I assume it was running in
> > the
> > background, along with the other Sympatico Security Manager (also Radial
> > Point, I assume) anti-spyware and firewall. But, IE 8 worked fine under
> > the
> > old corrupt user account, but Windows Media Player 11 did not, nor did my
> > 5.1 surround speaker settings work in the old corrupt user account. Now,
> > everything seems to work fine, except the IE 8 on the forum URL.
> >
> > But, when my computer misbehaves in one area, I worry that it signals a
> > more
> > sinister problem in another.
> >
> > Thanks for your suggestions.
> >
> > Charlie
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [crosspost to IE General]
> >>
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> >> this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> Is this a sudden, new problem? Did this happen before you installed IE8?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?
> >>
> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> >> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Re: IE 8 Crashes at XP Newsgroup URL, but not others
So everything's OK now?

Chdiamo wrote:
> Robear, clicking on the site you provided below seems to have fixed the
> problem. It opened without problem, as have all sites EXCEPT this forum,
> XP
> General Newsgroup. After successfully opening-in IE 8-the
> communities/newsgroups/list/en=us site, the XP Genereal opened with no
> problem. I have no idea what the problem was or why clicking on the site
> you
> provided fixed it, but it did. Thank you.

<PASTE>