Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1, SP2, etc.)
The vast majority of IE8 users are not having these issues. You should find
out what's different about the software environment on your computer.
* Part A - See if a legitimate program is causing the problems.
1. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
IE PassView- NirSoft:
What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
2. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed. (Also covered in
For troubleshooting information see:
IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an add-on
Problem: Crashes or hangs
3. If the problem is not caused by an add-on, look for a third-party program
as the cause.
936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
(Also applies to XP)
4. Third-party antivirus/antispyware programs should be disabled when
installing Internet Explorer. If they weren't you may have a corrupted
installation of IE8. Reinstalling with these programs disabled may be the
IEBlog IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:
* Part B - This may be a malware issue.
1. Scan with Windows Defender - already installed on Vista - free download
2. Run the Malicious Software Removal Tool.
This is not a wide-spectrum tool, but is worth running.
3. Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
4. Install and run the free version of SuperAntiSpyware from
5. If there is *any* reason to suspect that these tools didn't remove all
malware, visit one of these sites, register and follow the protocol.
Start at http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
Hope this helps,
[MS MVP- IE]
"Frustrated with IE8" <Frustrated with IE8@discussions.microsoft.com
in message news:220B9E20-E76E-4E49-A64C-0864328E95CE@microsoft.com...
> Now, that I've gotten over being irritated about the hour it took me to
> in- Is there any change this product is going to stablize? It crashes
> every third time I use it. I'm really seriously thinking of changing to
> FireFox, which doesn't crash all the time and restart itself.
> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft...