IE8 font sizes go really tiny...

RJK

IE8 font sizes go really tiny...
XP Home ed. SP3+

Luckily, I recently nagged my brother into Norton Ghost backing up his boot
drive.

A week or so ago, Windows update, installed or updated his IE8 (not sure
whether IE8 was already in there),
and after the IE8 upgrade or updates to IE8 went in, web page contents, and
some IE8 components - (not sure which), all became too tiny to use.

I did tell him to try IE8's "Zoom," but, that deosn't help with IE8
"buttons" that became tiny.

He had to restore his boot drive to a few days before the IE8 upgrade or
update, to get IE working in a visually usable fashion.

....any ideas plz, TIA

regards, Richard

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 font sizes go really tiny...
Hi,
1. Running Stardock WindowBlinds or another third-party theme/theme manager?
See if there's an update for that program to make it compatible with IE8. If
there's not an update/fix available, you may have to uninstall the program.

2. In Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing, uncheck "Enable visual styles on
buttons and controls in webpages."

3. See if a browser add-on is causing the problem.
Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:
IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"RJK" <nosuch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> XP Home ed. SP3+
>
> Luckily, I recently nagged my brother into Norton Ghost backing up his

boot
> drive.
>
> A week or so ago, Windows update, installed or updated his IE8 (not sure
> whether IE8 was already in there),
> and after the IE8 upgrade or updates to IE8 went in, web page contents,

and
> some IE8 components - (not sure which), all became too tiny to use.
>
> I did tell him to try IE8's "Zoom," but, that deosn't help with IE8
> "buttons" that became tiny.
>
> He had to restore his boot drive to a few days before the IE8 upgrade or
> update, to get IE working in a visually usable fashion.
>
> ...any ideas plz, TIA
>
> regards, Richard

RJK

> Hi,
> 1. Running Stardock WindowBlinds or another third-party theme/theme
> manager?
> See if there's an update for that program to make it compatible with IE8.
> If
> there's not an update/fix available, you may have to uninstall the
> program.
>
> 2. In Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing, uncheck "Enable visual styles
> on
> buttons and controls in webpages."
>
> 3. See if a browser add-on is causing the problem.
> Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
> Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
> or
> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
> If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on
> installed.
>
> For troubleshooting information see:
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> 928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an
> add-on
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
>
> Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "RJK" <nosuch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> XP Home ed. SP3+
>>
>> Luckily, I recently nagged my brother into Norton Ghost backing up his

> boot
>> drive.
>>
>> A week or so ago, Windows update, installed or updated his IE8 (not sure
>> whether IE8 was already in there),
>> and after the IE8 upgrade or updates to IE8 went in, web page contents,

> and
>> some IE8 components - (not sure which), all became too tiny to use.
>>
>> I did tell him to try IE8's "Zoom," but, that deosn't help with IE8
>> "buttons" that became tiny.
>>
>> He had to restore his boot drive to a few days before the IE8 upgrade or
>> update, to get IE working in a visually usable fashion.
>>
>> ...any ideas plz, TIA
>>
>> regards, Richard

Many thanks,

I'll forward this advice onto him.
In case it's relevant, when I built and installed his PC on 19th March 2009,
I would have selected Windows Classic theme, and "Best Performance" in
Control Panel | System, which switches off "fade in and out" menus etc.
....and I usually switch off the XP "Themes" service, in Control Panel |
Administrative Tools | Services

Of course, he could have tweaked all sorts of things since then, though he's
not a tweaker as such.

It really is a bit thoughtless of MS to dish out updates for IE8 that leave
the user scrabbling around for tweaks and fixes to correct something that
was fine before the update was applied !

regards, richard

Re: IE8 font sizes go really tiny...
environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select "Run as
Administator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
decide install it.
www.banthecheck.com