From a command line open several websites in multiple tabs

Highlander

From a command line open several websites in multiple tabs
Hello all.

Running IE8 on an Windows XP Home machine. I'd like to be able to use
a command line to open several websites in multiple tabs in one IE
window.

I'm using the script found here:
http://jeremyrandall.org/technology/...a-command-line

What I'm wondering is if there's a purely VBScript solution to this,
without using JScript?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Dave
Tom Lavedas

Re: From a command line open several websites in multiple tabs
On Aug 21, 2:19*pm, Highlander <tron9...@msn.com> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Running IE8 on an Windows XP Home machine. I'd like to be able to use
> a command line to open several websites in multiple tabs in one IE
> window.
>
> I'm using the script found here:http://jeremyrandall.org/technology/...in-internet-ex...
>
> What I'm wondering is if there's a purely VBScript solution to this,
> without using JScript?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>
> - Dave

The VBS translation of the example you cite is almost trivial ...

navOpenInBackgroundTab = &h1000
set oIE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com"
oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/tonyschr",
navOpenInBackgroundTab
oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing",
navOpenInBackgroundTab
oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert",
navOpenInBackgroundTab
oIE.Visible = true

I don't have IE7 or 8 here at work to test this, but I'm pretty sure
the syntax is fine.

Tom Lavedas
***********
mr_unreliable

Highlander wrote:
> What I'm wondering is if there's a purely VBScript solution to this,
> without using JScript?

hi Highlander,

Yes, that script could be easily re-written in vbs,
but why bother?

cheers, jw

You got questions? WE GOT ANSWERS!!! ..(but, no guarantee
the answers will be applicable to the questions)
HL0105

Re: From a command line open several websites in multiple tabs
On Aug 21, 2:09*pm, mr_unreliable <kindlyReplyToNewsgr...@notmail.com>
wrote:
> Highlander wrote:
> > What I'm wondering is if there's a purely VBScript solution to this,
> > without using JScript?

> hi Highlander,
>
> Yes, that script could be easily re-written in vbs,
> but why bother?
>
> cheers, jw
> __________________________________________________ __________
>
> You got questions? *WE GOT ANSWERS!!! *..(but, no guarantee
> * * the answers will be applicable to the questions)

Tom - thanks for the VBS translation. I didn't realize it was that
easy.

mr_unreliable - I get your point of why even bother. I dunno, I just
like to stay with VBScript only if possible; I never work with
JScript. Maybe it's in case I want to enhance the script at some time
in the future, it'll be in a language I'm familiar with.
p byers

Tom Lavedas wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2:19 pm, Highlander <tron9...@msn.com> wrote:
> > Hello all.
> >
> > Running IE8 on an Windows XP Home machine. I'd like to be able to use
> > a command line to open several websites in multiple tabs in one IE
> > window.
> >
> > I'm using the script found here:http://jeremyrandall.org/technology/...in-internet-ex...
> >
> > What I'm wondering is if there's a purely VBScript solution to this,
> > without using JScript?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
> >
> > - Dave

> The VBS translation of the example you cite is almost trivial ...
>
> navOpenInBackgroundTab = &h1000
> set oIE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com"
> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/tonyschr",
> navOpenInBackgroundTab
> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing",
> navOpenInBackgroundTab
> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert",
> navOpenInBackgroundTab
> oIE.Visible = true
>
> I don't have IE7 or 8 here at work to test this, but I'm pretty sure
> the syntax is fine.
>
> Tom Lavedas
> ***********

Hi

I have used both the JScript and VBS versions of this Technique and delightfully they work - thanks to all
concerned !!

I would like to use the technique in WebPages

I have tried it in two ways - JScript in "Client-Side" script

and

(my real preference) "Server-Side" in ASP (VBScript)

I guess that I dont want to open another Window and therefore do mot need the line

set oIE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")

I am temporarily defeated to work out how to "set oIE" to the current/existing instance of IE

So that abruptly stopped the ASP method development !!!

So back to a desultry attempt again in JScript !!

I tried replacing "oIE" with "Window" - obviously, it is not that simple.

Hopefully some of the clever folks in here can/will point me in the right direction please

Reminders that it will not work in "not IE" browsers are un-necessary - I plan to use it in an "IE Only"
environment.

Thanks in advance
Pete (Northolt UK)

Paul Randall

"p byers" <pb@sst-ltd.co.uk> wrote in message

> Tom Lavedas wrote:
>
>> On Aug 21, 2:19 pm, Highlander <tron9...@msn.com> wrote:
>> > Hello all.
>> >
>> > Running IE8 on an Windows XP Home machine. I'd like to be able to use
>> > a command line to open several websites in multiple tabs in one IE
>> > window.
>> >
>> > I'm using the script found
>> > here:http://jeremyrandall.org/technology/...in-internet-ex...
>> >
>> > What I'm wondering is if there's a purely VBScript solution to this,
>> > without using JScript?
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>> >
>> > - Dave

>> The VBS translation of the example you cite is almost trivial ...
>>
>> navOpenInBackgroundTab = &h1000
>> set oIE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
>> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com"
>> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/tonyschr",
>> navOpenInBackgroundTab
>> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing",
>> navOpenInBackgroundTab
>> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert",
>> navOpenInBackgroundTab
>> oIE.Visible = true
>>
>> I don't have IE7 or 8 here at work to test this, but I'm pretty sure
>> the syntax is fine.
>>
>> Tom Lavedas
>> ***********

> Hi
>
> I have used both the JScript and VBS versions of this Technique and
> delightfully they work - thanks to all
> concerned !!
>

> I would like to use the technique in WebPages
>
> I have tried it in two ways - JScript in "Client-Side" script
>
> and
>
> (my real preference) "Server-Side" in ASP (VBScript)
>

> I guess that I dont want to open another Window and therefore do mot need
> the line
>
> set oIE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
>
> I am temporarily defeated to work out how to "set oIE" to the
> current/existing instance of IE
>
> So that abruptly stopped the ASP method development !!!
>

> So back to a desultry attempt again in JScript !!
>
> I tried replacing "oIE" with "Window" - obviously, it is not that simple.
>

> Hopefully some of the clever folks in here can/will point me in the right
> direction please
>

> Reminders that it will not work in "not IE" browsers are un-necessary - I
> plan to use it in an "IE Only"
> environment.
>

> Thanks in advance
> Pete (Northolt UK)

Scripts running client side may be able to reference the browser they are in
with the words 'self' or 'me'. I can't find Microsoft documentation for it,
so you might want to groups.google this vbscript newsgroup for the word
self.

-Paul Randall

p byers

Paul Randall wrote:

> "p byers" <pb@sst-ltd.co.uk> wrote in message
> >

> > Tom Lavedas wrote:

> >> The VBS translation of the example you cite is almost trivial ...
> >>
> >> navOpenInBackgroundTab = &h1000
> >> set oIE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
> >> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com"
> >> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/tonyschr",
> >> navOpenInBackgroundTab
> >> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing",
> >> navOpenInBackgroundTab
> >> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert",
> >> navOpenInBackgroundTab
> >> oIE.Visible = true
> >>
> >> I don't have IE7 or 8 here at work to test this, but I'm pretty sure
> >> the syntax is fine.
> >>
> >> Tom Lavedas
> >> ***********

> > Hi
> >
> > I have used both the JScript and VBS versions of this Technique and
> > delightfully they work - thanks to all
> > concerned !!
> >

> > I would like to use the technique in WebPages
> >
> > I have tried it in two ways - JScript in "Client-Side" script
> >
> > and
> >
> > (my real preference) "Server-Side" in ASP (VBScript)
> >

> > I guess that I dont want to open another Window and therefore do mot need
> > the line
> >
> > set oIE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
> >
> > I am temporarily defeated to work out how to "set oIE" to the
> > current/existing instance of IE
> >
> > So that abruptly stopped the ASP method development !!!
> >

> > So back to a desultry attempt again in JScript !!
> >
> > I tried replacing "oIE" with "Window" - obviously, it is not that simple.
> >

> > Hopefully some of the clever folks in here can/will point me in the right
> > direction please
> >

> > Reminders that it will not work in "not IE" browsers are un-necessary - I
> > plan to use it in an "IE Only"
> > environment.
> >

> > Thanks in advance
> > Pete (Northolt UK)

> Scripts running client side may be able to reference the browser they are in
> with the words 'self' or 'me'. I can't find Microsoft documentation for it,
> so you might want to groups.google this vbscript newsgroup for the word
> self.
>
> -Paul Randall

Thanks Paul
BUT

<!--

var navOpenInBackgroundTab = 0x1000;
//var oIE = new ActiveXObject("InternetExplorer.Application");

function newTab()
{
self.Navigate2("http://blogs.msdn.com", navOpenInBackgroundTab);
}
//-->
</script>

Results in

"Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR
1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; yie8)
Timestamp: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:18:26 UTC

Message: Object doesn't support this property or method"

Looks like I need to do some more poking around !!

Pete (Northolt UK)

p byers

Paul Randall wrote:

> "p byers" <pb@sst-ltd.co.uk> wrote in message
> >

> > Tom Lavedas wrote:

> >> The VBS translation of the example you cite is almost trivial ...
> >>
> >> navOpenInBackgroundTab = &h1000
> >> set oIE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
> >> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com"
> >> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/tonyschr",
> >> navOpenInBackgroundTab
> >> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing",
> >> navOpenInBackgroundTab
> >> oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert",
> >> navOpenInBackgroundTab
> >> oIE.Visible = true
> >>
> >> I don't have IE7 or 8 here at work to test this, but I'm pretty sure
> >> the syntax is fine.
> >>
> >> Tom Lavedas
> >> ***********

> > Hi
> >
> > I have used both the JScript and VBS versions of this Technique and
> > delightfully they work - thanks to all
> > concerned !!
> >

> > I would like to use the technique in WebPages
> >
> > I have tried it in two ways - JScript in "Client-Side" script
> >
> > and
> >
> > (my real preference) "Server-Side" in ASP (VBScript)
> >

> > I guess that I dont want to open another Window and therefore do mot need
> > the line
> >
> > set oIE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
> >
> > I am temporarily defeated to work out how to "set oIE" to the
> > current/existing instance of IE
> >
> > So that abruptly stopped the ASP method development !!!
> >

> > So back to a desultry attempt again in JScript !!
> >
> > I tried replacing "oIE" with "Window" - obviously, it is not that simple.
> >

> > Hopefully some of the clever folks in here can/will point me in the right
> > direction please
> >

> > Reminders that it will not work in "not IE" browsers are un-necessary - I
> > plan to use it in an "IE Only"
> > environment.
> >

> > Thanks in advance
> > Pete (Northolt UK)

> Scripts running client side may be able to reference the browser they are in
> with the words 'self' or 'me'. I can't find Microsoft documentation for it,
> so you might want to groups.google this vbscript newsgroup for the word
> self.
>
> -Paul Randall

I tried the following ASP file and got the same error
"Object doesn't support this property or method"

(This is the complete ASP file !!)

<%
navOpenInBackgroundTab = &h1000
''oIE = Server.CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application" )

''oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com"
me.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/tonyschr", navOpenInBackgroundTab
''oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing", navOpenInBackgroundTab
''oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert", navOpenInBackgroundTab
''oIE.Visible = true
%>

Job Done

Pete (Northolt UK)

On Aug 24, 10:54*am, p byers <p...@sst-ltd.co.uk> wrote:
> Paul Randall wrote:
> > "p byers" <p...@sst-ltd.co.uk> wrote in message

> > > Hi

> > > I have used both the JScript and VBS versions of this Technique and
> > > delightfully they work - thanks to all
> > > concerned !!

> > > I would like to use the technique in WebPages

> > > I have tried it in two ways - JScript in "Client-Side" script

> > > and

> > > (my real preference) "Server-Side" in ASP (VBScript)

> > > I guess that I dont want to open another Window and therefore do mot need
> > > the line

> > > set oIE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")

> > > I am temporarily defeated to work out how to "set oIE" to the
> > > current/existing instance of IE

> > > So that abruptly stopped the ASP method development !!!

> > > So back to a desultry attempt again in JScript !!

> > > I tried replacing "oIE" with "Window" - obviously, it is not that simple.

> > > Hopefully some of the clever folks in here can/will point me in the right
> > > direction please

> > > Reminders that it will not work in "not IE" browsers are un-necessary- I
> > > plan to use it in an "IE Only"
> > > environment.

> > > Thanks in advance
> > > Pete (Northolt UK)

> > Scripts running client side may be able to reference the browser they are in
> > with the words 'self' or 'me'. *I can't find Microsoft documentation for it,
> > so you might want to groups.google this vbscript newsgroup for the word
> > self.

> > -Paul Randall

> I tried the following ASP file and got the same error
> "Object doesn't support this property or method"
>
> (This is the complete ASP file !!)
>
> ================================================== =========================
>
> <%
> navOpenInBackgroundTab = &h1000
> ''oIE = Server.CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application" )
>
> ''oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com"
> me.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/tonyschr", navOpenInBackgroundTab
> ''oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing", navOpenInBackgroundTab
> ''oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert", navOpenInBackgroundTab
> ''oIE.Visible = true
> %>
>
> Job Done
>
> ================================================== =========================
>
> Pete (Northolt UK)

Personally, I don't know, but I doubt you'll be able to do this
because it's a nasty behavior that any web browser should prohibit
from happening. How would you like every "Tom, **** and Harry" web
builder to force you to close tabs that they opened against your
will? It's akin to Popups, but a bit more insidious. (I know, I know
- it's for your internal intranet app, but still ..).

Tom Lavedas
***********
p byers

Tom Lavedas wrote:

> On Aug 24, 10:54 am, p byers <p...@sst-ltd.co.uk> wrote:
> > Paul Randall wrote:
> > > "p byers" <p...@sst-ltd.co.uk> wrote in message

> > > Scripts running client side may be able to reference the browser they are in
> > > with the words 'self' or 'me'. I can't find Microsoft documentation for it,
> > > so you might want to groups.google this vbscript newsgroup for the word
> > > self.

> > > -Paul Randall

> > I tried the following ASP file and got the same error
> > "Object doesn't support this property or method"
> >
> > (This is the complete ASP file !!)
> >
> > ================================================== =========================
> >
> > <%
> > navOpenInBackgroundTab = &h1000
> > ''oIE = Server.CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application" )
> >
> > ''oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com"
> > me.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/tonyschr", navOpenInBackgroundTab
> > ''oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing", navOpenInBackgroundTab
> > ''oIE.Navigate2 "http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert", navOpenInBackgroundTab
> > ''oIE.Visible = true
> > %>
> >
> > Job Done
> >
> > ================================================== =========================
> >
> > Pete (Northolt UK)

> Personally, I don't know, but I doubt you'll be able to do this
> because it's a nasty behavior that any web browser should prohibit
> from happening. How would you like every "Tom, **** and Harry" web
> builder to force you to close tabs that they opened against your
> will? It's akin to Popups, but a bit more insidious. (I know, I know
> - it's for your internal intranet app, but still ..).
>
> Tom Lavedas
> ***********

It is a normal practice that when a user clicks on a Link or Button in a WebPage that a
new window is opened.
Especially when it is necessary to retain the visibility of information in the first
Window - and maybe "flip/flop" between the Windows

(hence 'target=_blank')

I 'umbly and respectfully suggest that this is quite different from intrusive, obnoxious,
pervasive PopUps - this is to do with Business/Logical Flow od Data !!!

Instead of a new window, a new Tab seems reasonable !!

On the pages that I have developed in anticipation of "target=_tab" there are two Radio
Buttons
One for 'New Window'
One for 'New Tab'
So the user can choose their prefered 'Way-of-working'

BUT

Thank you for your comment.

Pete (Northolt UK)