Re: IE 8 Cannot Browse to Windows Update

Re: IE 8 Cannot Browse to Windows Update
[Crosspost to IE General newsgroup. Please quote this entire post in your
reply.]

Is Automatic Updates enabled?

Any chance you installed AVG Free v8.5 and/or ZA and/or IE8 "shortly before
Patch Tuesday last week"?

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

Any errors or anything unusual in your WindowsUpdate.log
(%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log)?

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

www.banthecheck.com

basketx38 wrote:
> Hi, again,
>
> My bad manners - please excuse a few times - should have given the
> standard info:
>
> IE 8.0 .6001.18702 Update Versions: 0 This info is from Help>About.
> Also, I have added all the microsoft.com websites in Trusted zone sites
> list. And update.microsoft.com has been added as a Trusted site in
> firewall.
>
> Firefox v3.5.2 can reach the website but of course, the Microsoft®
> website
> refuses to deal with Firefox.
>
> OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 plus updates since SP3
> CPU: Intel Pentium 4 519J 3.06 GHz
> RAM: 2 GB PC3200 DDR2
> HD: 155GB free
> ISP: ATT.net Internet connection via: ATT.net and Westell 6100 DSL
> modem
> + Zone Alarm free 8.0.298.000
> + AVG Free 8.5 Scans every night and updates 3x/day, typically. Finds
> tracking cookies occasionally.
> + Windows Defender updated August 17, 2009. Full system scan was run last
> night, nothing found.

<paste>