I hate IE8! Please help!

Jim Peterson

I hate IE8! Please help!
Hi eveyrone and thanks in advance for any help anybody might be able to give
me.

I'm running XP Pro with all updates current. I have Office Pro 2003, also
current. I was running IE7 and getting along fine. It was fast, stable, and
no problems. I have also run Firefox simultaneously for a number of years, so
tabbed browsing was a familiar concept before IE7 came along.

Anyhow, when I was using IE7, I had it set to open seven tabs on startup for
seven separate web sites. It always started and ran fine. I could open a new
tab (Ctrl + T, click the mouse, click a hyperlink, etc.) and the new tab
would immediately open and the page would load almost as quick.

Now the problem. Ever since I switched to IE8 I have nothing but problems
with additional tabs. The program still starts with the same seven tabs and
opens them with no problem. But 85% of the time, if I open a new tab (Ctrl +
T, etc.) the tab will open fine (although much slower than IE7 did), but it
will not load any web sites. It doesn't matter if I'm loading a page from my
favorites, typing a new URL or attempting a google search. The wheel just
goes round and round and it says it is connecting. Eventually (sometimes
within seconds, other times after minutes) the status bar at the bottom says
"done" and I'm still looking at the "What Do You Want To Do Next" new tab
page.

Now here's the mind blower. At first I thought the particular web sites I
was trying to connect to were down. But I can jump to Firefox, open a new
tab, select a favorite and boom! - it loads instantly.

And then here's the real mind blower. If I go back to IE8 and go to one of
the open websites on one of my original seven tabs, then select a new URL
from the favorites or attempt a search - boom! it loads instantly (just like
it should).

What the h**l is going on? I an't make any sense out of this and IE8 has
basically become useless to me with the exception of the initial seven tabs
that open with the program.

Again, if you're still with me this far and you've got any ideas, thank-you,
thank-you. I'm desperate to try anything.

Jim
rob^_^

Re: I hate IE8! Please help!
Hi Jim,

Too much detail there in your question. My humble guess would be that you
need to update your Google toolbar if you have it installed. go
toolbar.google.com and download and install the latest version.

As with IE7 if you have any problems first try running IE in no-Addons
mode - Start>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no Addons) to test
if an Addon is causing the problem. Some of the popular Toolbars such as
Google require updates or are not compatible with IE8.

Regards.

"Jim Peterson" <JimPeterson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi eveyrone and thanks in advance for any help anybody might be able to
> give
> me.
>
> I'm running XP Pro with all updates current. I have Office Pro 2003, also
> current. I was running IE7 and getting along fine. It was fast, stable,
> and
> no problems. I have also run Firefox simultaneously for a number of years,
> so
> tabbed browsing was a familiar concept before IE7 came along.
>
> Anyhow, when I was using IE7, I had it set to open seven tabs on startup
> for
> seven separate web sites. It always started and ran fine. I could open a
> new
> tab (Ctrl + T, click the mouse, click a hyperlink, etc.) and the new tab
> would immediately open and the page would load almost as quick.
>
> Now the problem. Ever since I switched to IE8 I have nothing but problems
> with additional tabs. The program still starts with the same seven tabs
> and
> opens them with no problem. But 85% of the time, if I open a new tab (Ctrl
> +
> T, etc.) the tab will open fine (although much slower than IE7 did), but
> it
> will not load any web sites. It doesn't matter if I'm loading a page from
> my
> favorites, typing a new URL or attempting a google search. The wheel just
> goes round and round and it says it is connecting. Eventually (sometimes
> within seconds, other times after minutes) the status bar at the bottom
> says
> "done" and I'm still looking at the "What Do You Want To Do Next" new tab
> page.
>
> Now here's the mind blower. At first I thought the particular web sites I
> was trying to connect to were down. But I can jump to Firefox, open a new
> tab, select a favorite and boom! - it loads instantly.
>
> And then here's the real mind blower. If I go back to IE8 and go to one of
> the open websites on one of my original seven tabs, then select a new URL
> from the favorites or attempt a search - boom! it loads instantly (just
> like
> it should).
>
> What the h**l is going on? I an't make any sense out of this and IE8 has
> basically become useless to me with the exception of the initial seven
> tabs
> that open with the program.
>
> Again, if you're still with me this far and you've got any ideas,
> thank-you,
> thank-you. I'm desperate to try anything.
>
> Jim

Leonard Grey

Re: I hate IE8! Please help!
Start Internet Explorer from the 'no add-ons' shortcut. Still have problems?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Jim Peterson wrote:
> Hi eveyrone and thanks in advance for any help anybody might be able to give
> me.
>
> I'm running XP Pro with all updates current. I have Office Pro 2003, also
> current. I was running IE7 and getting along fine. It was fast, stable, and
> no problems. I have also run Firefox simultaneously for a number of years, so
> tabbed browsing was a familiar concept before IE7 came along.
>
> Anyhow, when I was using IE7, I had it set to open seven tabs on startup for
> seven separate web sites. It always started and ran fine. I could open a new
> tab (Ctrl + T, click the mouse, click a hyperlink, etc.) and the new tab
> would immediately open and the page would load almost as quick.
>
> Now the problem. Ever since I switched to IE8 I have nothing but problems
> with additional tabs. The program still starts with the same seven tabs and
> opens them with no problem. But 85% of the time, if I open a new tab (Ctrl +
> T, etc.) the tab will open fine (although much slower than IE7 did), but it
> will not load any web sites. It doesn't matter if I'm loading a page from my
> favorites, typing a new URL or attempting a google search. The wheel just
> goes round and round and it says it is connecting. Eventually (sometimes
> within seconds, other times after minutes) the status bar at the bottom says
> "done" and I'm still looking at the "What Do You Want To Do Next" new tab
> page.
>
> Now here's the mind blower. At first I thought the particular web sites I
> was trying to connect to were down. But I can jump to Firefox, open a new
> tab, select a favorite and boom! - it loads instantly.
>
> And then here's the real mind blower. If I go back to IE8 and go to one of
> the open websites on one of my original seven tabs, then select a new URL
> from the favorites or attempt a search - boom! it loads instantly (just like
> it should).
>
> What the h**l is going on? I an't make any sense out of this and IE8 has
> basically become useless to me with the exception of the initial seven tabs
> that open with the program.
>
> Again, if you're still with me this far and you've got any ideas, thank-you,
> thank-you. I'm desperate to try anything.
>
> Jim

Jim Peterson

Re: I hate IE8! Please help!
Thanks Rob and Leonard for the suggestions.

I downloaded the newest google toolbar as Rob suggested and it has
definitely made a difference. I'm still not convinced it is completely back
to speed as IE7 worked for me but we'll see how it goes for a few more days.

Thanks again, and I'll be back with another question if the problem persists.
Jim

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Start Internet Explorer from the 'no add-ons' shortcut. Still have problems?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Jim Peterson wrote:
> > Hi eveyrone and thanks in advance for any help anybody might be able to give
> > me.
> >
> > I'm running XP Pro with all updates current. I have Office Pro 2003, also
> > current. I was running IE7 and getting along fine. It was fast, stable, and
> > no problems. I have also run Firefox simultaneously for a number of years, so
> > tabbed browsing was a familiar concept before IE7 came along.
> >
> > Anyhow, when I was using IE7, I had it set to open seven tabs on startup for
> > seven separate web sites. It always started and ran fine. I could open a new
> > tab (Ctrl + T, click the mouse, click a hyperlink, etc.) and the new tab
> > would immediately open and the page would load almost as quick.
> >
> > Now the problem. Ever since I switched to IE8 I have nothing but problems
> > with additional tabs. The program still starts with the same seven tabs and
> > opens them with no problem. But 85% of the time, if I open a new tab (Ctrl +
> > T, etc.) the tab will open fine (although much slower than IE7 did), but it
> > will not load any web sites. It doesn't matter if I'm loading a page from my
> > favorites, typing a new URL or attempting a google search. The wheel just
> > goes round and round and it says it is connecting. Eventually (sometimes
> > within seconds, other times after minutes) the status bar at the bottom says
> > "done" and I'm still looking at the "What Do You Want To Do Next" new tab
> > page.
> >
> > Now here's the mind blower. At first I thought the particular web sites I
> > was trying to connect to were down. But I can jump to Firefox, open a new
> > tab, select a favorite and boom! - it loads instantly.
> >
> > And then here's the real mind blower. If I go back to IE8 and go to one of
> > the open websites on one of my original seven tabs, then select a new URL
> > from the favorites or attempt a search - boom! it loads instantly (just like
> > it should).
> >
> > What the h**l is going on? I an't make any sense out of this and IE8 has
> > basically become useless to me with the exception of the initial seven tabs
> > that open with the program.
> >
> > Again, if you're still with me this far and you've got any ideas, thank-you,
> > thank-you. I'm desperate to try anything.
> >
> > Jim

rob^_^

Re: I hate IE8! Please help!
Hi Jim,

Expect IE8 to appear slow (subjective) if you are running Addons. IE8 is
more 'secure' and does more checking about what private information is sent
down the line.

With the new version of the Google toolbar - make sure you turn off the
Google Toolbar popup blocker (you don't need it as IE8 has a built-in one
and sometimes using two popup blockers can cause problems. Also check for
updates to any other Toolbar addons that you have had installed since
upgrading to IE8.