IE HotKey Inconsistency question!

Patrick Keenan

IE HotKey Inconsistency question!
Hello,
I'm looking at hotkey behaviour in IE7 and IE8 that differs between various
systems.

A specific hotkey-combination in question is CONTROL+ALT+F4, which the IE
help files say is supposed to close all tabs except the current one.

And indeed it does this - but only on some systems, none of which are mine.

On three laptops - the ones I have been using, two Thinkpads (one XP with
IE8, one Vista with IE7 )and a Dell Vostro with XP and IE7 - this key
combination does nothing at all to any tabs. At most, it will highlight
the FILE menu item. I'm not running any special keyboard mapping software
that I'm aware of.

But on other systems, including a Sony Vaio compact laptop, the key
combination acts as it's supposed to.

Does anyone know what would affect the consistency of the hotkeys, and make
this combination not work on mine?

Thanks!
Patrick Keenan

rob^_^

Re: IE HotKey Inconsistency question!
HI Patrick,

Have you tested in no-Addons mode. Some of IEPro's features aren't
compatible with IE8.

Regards.

"Patrick Keenan" <test@dev.null> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I'm looking at hotkey behaviour in IE7 and IE8 that differs between
> various systems.
>
> A specific hotkey-combination in question is CONTROL+ALT+F4, which the IE
> help files say is supposed to close all tabs except the current one.
>
> And indeed it does this - but only on some systems, none of which are
> mine.
>
> On three laptops - the ones I have been using, two Thinkpads (one XP with
> IE8, one Vista with IE7 )and a Dell Vostro with XP and IE7 - this key
> combination does nothing at all to any tabs. At most, it will highlight
> the FILE menu item. I'm not running any special keyboard mapping
> software that I'm aware of.
>
> But on other systems, including a Sony Vaio compact laptop, the key
> combination acts as it's supposed to.
>
> Does anyone know what would affect the consistency of the hotkeys, and
> make this combination not work on mine?
>
> Thanks!
> Patrick Keenan

Re: IE HotKey Inconsistency question!
And if you depress the Fn (Function) key while using CONTROL+ALT+F4, what
happens?

Patrick Keenan wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm looking at hotkey behaviour in IE7 and IE8 that differs between
> various
> systems.
>
> A specific hotkey-combination in question is CONTROL+ALT+F4, which the IE
> help files say is supposed to close all tabs except the current one.
>
> And indeed it does this - but only on some systems, none of which are
> mine.
>
> On three laptops - the ones I have been using, two Thinkpads (one XP with
> IE8, one Vista with IE7 )and a Dell Vostro with XP and IE7 - this key
> combination does nothing at all to any tabs. At most, it will highlight
> the FILE menu item. I'm not running any special keyboard mapping
> software
> that I'm aware of.
>
> But on other systems, including a Sony Vaio compact laptop, the key
> combination acts as it's supposed to.
>
> Does anyone know what would affect the consistency of the hotkeys, and
> make
> this combination not work on mine?
>
> Thanks!
> Patrick Keenan

Patrick Keenan

> And if you depress the Fn (Function) key while using CONTROL+ALT+F4, what
> happens?

The system goes to standby!

Thanks!

> Patrick Keenan wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm looking at hotkey behaviour in IE7 and IE8 that differs between
>> various
>> systems.
>>
>> A specific hotkey-combination in question is CONTROL+ALT+F4, which the IE
>> help files say is supposed to close all tabs except the current one.
>>
>> And indeed it does this - but only on some systems, none of which are
>> mine.
>>
>> On three laptops - the ones I have been using, two Thinkpads (one XP with
>> IE8, one Vista with IE7 )and a Dell Vostro with XP and IE7 - this key
>> combination does nothing at all to any tabs. At most, it will highlight
>> the FILE menu item. I'm not running any special keyboard mapping
>> software
>> that I'm aware of.
>>
>> But on other systems, including a Sony Vaio compact laptop, the key
>> combination acts as it's supposed to.
>>
>> Does anyone know what would affect the consistency of the hotkeys, and
>> make
>> this combination not work on mine?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Patrick Keenan

Patrick Keenan

> HI Patrick,
>
> Have you tested in no-Addons mode. Some of IEPro's features aren't
> compatible with IE8.

Thanks! That has no effect; the key combination still doesn't have the
result described in the help file.

I have the same problem with IE7 on my primary laptop, as well.

I can't use IE8 on my primary systems because it breaks ProTools, and that's
a deal-killer for me.

-pk

> Regards.
>
> "Patrick Keenan" <test@dev.null> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> I'm looking at hotkey behaviour in IE7 and IE8 that differs between
>> various systems.
>>
>> A specific hotkey-combination in question is CONTROL+ALT+F4, which the IE
>> help files say is supposed to close all tabs except the current one.
>>
>> And indeed it does this - but only on some systems, none of which are
>> mine.
>>
>> On three laptops - the ones I have been using, two Thinkpads (one XP with
>> IE8, one Vista with IE7 )and a Dell Vostro with XP and IE7 - this key
>> combination does nothing at all to any tabs. At most, it will highlight
>> the FILE menu item. I'm not running any special keyboard mapping
>> software that I'm aware of.
>>
>> But on other systems, including a Sony Vaio compact laptop, the key
>> combination acts as it's supposed to.
>>
>> Does anyone know what would affect the consistency of the hotkeys, and
>> make this combination not work on mine?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Patrick Keenan

Re: IE HotKey Inconsistency question!
Doh! Sorry.

Patient (demonstrating): "Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"
Doctor: "Don't do that."

Don't do that.

Patrick Keenan wrote:
>> And if you depress the Fn (Function) key while using CONTROL+ALT+F4, what
>> happens?

> The system goes to standby!
>
> Thanks!
>

>> Patrick Keenan wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I'm looking at hotkey behaviour in IE7 and IE8 that differs between
>>> various
>>> systems.
>>>
>>> A specific hotkey-combination in question is CONTROL+ALT+F4, which the
>>> IE
>>> help files say is supposed to close all tabs except the current one.
>>>
>>> And indeed it does this - but only on some systems, none of which are
>>> mine.
>>>
>>> On three laptops - the ones I have been using, two Thinkpads (one XP
>>> with
>>> IE8, one Vista with IE7 )and a Dell Vostro with XP and IE7 - this key
>>> combination does nothing at all to any tabs. At most, it will
>>> highlight
>>> the FILE menu item. I'm not running any special keyboard mapping
>>> software
>>> that I'm aware of.
>>>
>>> But on other systems, including a Sony Vaio compact laptop, the key
>>> combination acts as it's supposed to.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what would affect the consistency of the hotkeys, and
>>> make
>>> this combination not work on mine?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Patrick Keenan

Robert Aldwinckle

"Patrick Keenan" <test@dev.null> wrote in message news:%23gmw1YPIKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
> I'm looking at hotkey behaviour in IE7 and IE8 that differs between various
> systems.
>
> A specific hotkey-combination in question is CONTROL+ALT+F4, which the IE
> help files say is supposed to close all tabs except the current one.
>
> And indeed it does this - but only on some systems, none of which are mine.
>
> On three laptops - the ones I have been using, two Thinkpads (one XP with
> IE8, one Vista with IE7 )and a Dell Vostro with XP and IE7 - this key
> combination does nothing at all to any tabs. At most, it will highlight
> the FILE menu item.

> I'm not running any special keyboard mapping software that I'm aware of.

FYI Ctrl+Alt is how keyboard shortcuts are assigned to Desktop shortcuts.
It looks as if Ctrl+Alt+F4 assigned to a .lnk file would take precedence over
IE's use of it.

Unfortunately I don't know how to learn which shortcuts are in use
without any knowledge of how they were assigned.

Also, Ctrl+Alt is used to signal a popup stopper to allow one.
Do you have any popup stoppers active?

> But on other systems, including a Sony Vaio compact laptop, the key
> combination acts as it's supposed to.

Then you have a potentially useful point of comparison if you trace each
case. Unfortunately, I just tried tracing with ProcMon and don't think
there is enough data in it for this. You probably need a Windows event
trace to really see what is happening, e.g. using Visual Studio or Spy++.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---