saved html docs not opening after upgrade to IE8

jbltwin1

saved html docs not opening after upgrade to IE8
Ok-I'll try it here. After upgrading to IE8 from IE6, and using xp media
edition, saved html documents that I save in a file for work on web sites
will not open with IE8. If trying to open directly from file, window pops up
and says "that file is in use on another computer". THERE IS NO OTHER
COMPUTER. If you use the drop down menu under file to try to open the file,
it says "invalid pathway". These file ALL opened before. Tried un-installing
IE8 and went back to IE6 to see if it cured the problem-it did. Have now
re-installed IE8 and am working around the problem by opening my html files
with another browser, which works fine but is a PITA to use another one and I
LIKE IE8. Had to change the default source code reader to wordpad but that
was so I could edit code directly. I'm thinking that this is a link registry
problem(maybe-I'm guessing) but how do I fix it. Mike.
--
jbltwin1
jbltwin1

RE: saved html docs not opening after upgrade to IE8
Problem solved

--
jbltwin1

"jbltwin1" wrote:

> Ok-I'll try it here. After upgrading to IE8 from IE6, and using xp media
> edition, saved html documents that I save in a file for work on web sites
> will not open with IE8. If trying to open directly from file, window pops up
> and says "that file is in use on another computer". THERE IS NO OTHER
> COMPUTER. If you use the drop down menu under file to try to open the file,
> it says "invalid pathway". These file ALL opened before. Tried un-installing
> IE8 and went back to IE6 to see if it cured the problem-it did. Have now
> re-installed IE8 and am working around the problem by opening my html files
> with another browser, which works fine but is a PITA to use another one and I
> LIKE IE8. Had to change the default source code reader to wordpad but that
> was so I could edit code directly. I'm thinking that this is a link registry
> problem(maybe-I'm guessing) but how do I fix it. Mike.
> --
> jbltwin1

Donald Anadell

"jbltwin1" <jbltwin1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Problem solved

Is it a matter of National Security, or can you post exactly how the Problem
was "solved", others reading this may need the information.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> --
> jbltwin1
>

> "jbltwin1" wrote:
>
>> Ok-I'll try it here. After upgrading to IE8 from IE6, and using xp media
>> edition, saved html documents that I save in a file for work on web sites
>> will not open with IE8. If trying to open directly from file, window
>> pops up
>> and says "that file is in use on another computer". THERE IS NO OTHER
>> COMPUTER. If you use the drop down menu under file to try to open the
>> file,
>> it says "invalid pathway". These file ALL opened before. Tried
>> un-installing
>> IE8 and went back to IE6 to see if it cured the problem-it did. Have now
>> re-installed IE8 and am working around the problem by opening my html
>> files
>> with another browser, which works fine but is a PITA to use another one
>> and I
>> LIKE IE8. Had to change the default source code reader to wordpad but
>> that
>> was so I could edit code directly. I'm thinking that this is a link
>> registry
>> problem(maybe-I'm guessing) but how do I fix it. Mike.
>> --
>> jbltwin1

jbltwin1

Re: saved html docs not opening after upgrade to IE8
I just thought since NOBODY responded in a couple of days the nobody else
HAD this ever come up. As it turns out, there is something in the IE program
that doesn't play nice with certain folder. The "new Briefcase" folder is a
factory installed folder that was there from the start. For SOME reason, IE
8 won't let it acces html documents in THAT folder, and THAT folder only. I
tried saving new documents INTO that folder WITH IE8 and that didn't help
either. But I found that if you moved those same html documents to ANY
other folder, they open. I created a new folder off to the side as a sub
folder, put my docs in there and voila-problem solved. It never had a
problem opening with IE6 and I even tried IE7 and it did the same
thing-wouldn't open. It just does NOT like html docs in THAT folder. It
will open other types in the same folder so there's a conlict with IE8
somewhere. Weird- huh!
--
jbltwin1

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "jbltwin1" <jbltwin1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > Problem solved

> Is it a matter of National Security, or can you post exactly how the Problem
> was "solved", others reading this may need the information.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

> > --
> > jbltwin1
> >

> > "jbltwin1" wrote:
> >
> >> Ok-I'll try it here. After upgrading to IE8 from IE6, and using xp media
> >> edition, saved html documents that I save in a file for work on web sites
> >> will not open with IE8. If trying to open directly from file, window
> >> pops up
> >> and says "that file is in use on another computer". THERE IS NO OTHER
> >> COMPUTER. If you use the drop down menu under file to try to open the
> >> file,
> >> it says "invalid pathway". These file ALL opened before. Tried
> >> un-installing
> >> IE8 and went back to IE6 to see if it cured the problem-it did. Have now
> >> re-installed IE8 and am working around the problem by opening my html
> >> files
> >> with another browser, which works fine but is a PITA to use another one
> >> and I
> >> LIKE IE8. Had to change the default source code reader to wordpad but
> >> that
> >> was so I could edit code directly. I'm thinking that this is a link
> >> registry
> >> problem(maybe-I'm guessing) but how do I fix it. Mike.
> >> --
> >> jbltwin1

Donald Anadell

>I just thought since NOBODY responded in a couple of days the nobody else
> HAD this ever come up. As it turns out, there is something in the IE
> program
> that doesn't play nice with certain folder. The "new Briefcase" folder is
> factory installed folder that was there from the start. For SOME reason,
> IE
> 8 won't let it acces html documents in THAT folder, and THAT folder only.
> tried saving new documents INTO that folder WITH IE8 and that didn't help
> either. But I found that if you moved those same html documents to ANY
> other folder, they open. I created a new folder off to the side as a sub
> folder, put my docs in there and voila-problem solved. It never had a
> problem opening with IE6 and I even tried IE7 and it did the same
> thing-wouldn't open. It just does NOT like html docs in THAT folder. It
> will open other types in the same folder so there's a conlict with IE8
> somewhere.

Weird- huh!

Weird indeed. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm able to reproduce your issue here by creating a New Briefcase Folder on
the Desktop(Windows XP SP3) and moving some HTML files to it. Trying to
open the Html files in the Briefcase folder then produces the error:

"The Briefcase is in use on another computer."

And as you've stated, it does not happen when using IE6, I tested that also
on a Windows XP SP3 machine.

Something has changed along the way, but I have no idea what. I did run
Procmon to see if I could capture something in the process that would
indicate what is happening to cause the error to be thrown in IE8. The only
indication that Procmon provided was that there was a "Sharing Violation" on
the hidden file "Briefcase Database" that's located inside the Briefcase
folder.

This apparently not something that has just cropped up with the release of
IE8, all you need to do is Google the error message to see that there have
been many inquiries about it posted on the web in the past few years.
Unfortunately, no solutions have been posted to the many inquiries about
this error message.

Like you, I was able to open all other file types(.jpg, .txt, etc) in the
Briefcase folder...but not HTML files.

So I have to assume at this point(from the Googling I did), that what ever
change was made to cause this issue with opening HTML file(s) from the
Briefcase folder was made with the release of IE7 and carries over to IE8.
Since very few people use the Briefcase folder any more, it could be some
Security Obscurity in the IE7, IE8 browser that has not made it to the light
of day yet

Sorry I have no other fix or workaround to offer you other that that which
you've already alluded to.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> --
> jbltwin1
>

> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>

>> "jbltwin1" <jbltwin1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > Problem solved

>> Is it a matter of National Security, or can you post exactly how the
>> Problem
>> was "solved", others reading this may need the information.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell
>>

>> > --
>> > jbltwin1

Robert Aldwinckle

"Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message news:OCe2i7pIKHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

> "jbltwin1" <jbltwin1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I just thought since NOBODY responded in a couple of days the nobody else
>> HAD this ever come up. As it turns out, there is something in the IE
>> program
>> that doesn't play nice with certain folder. The "new Briefcase" folder is
>> factory installed folder that was there from the start. For SOME reason,
>> IE
>> 8 won't let it acces html documents in THAT folder, and THAT folder only.
>> tried saving new documents INTO that folder WITH IE8 and that didn't help
>> either. But I found that if you moved those same html documents to ANY
>> other folder, they open. I created a new folder off to the side as a sub
>> folder, put my docs in there and voila-problem solved. It never had a
>> problem opening with IE6 and I even tried IE7 and it did the same
>> thing-wouldn't open. It just does NOT like html docs in THAT folder. It
>> will open other types in the same folder so there's a conlict with IE8
>> somewhere.

> Weird- huh!
>
> Weird indeed. Thanks for the feedback.
>
> I'm able to reproduce your issue here by creating a New Briefcase Folder on
> the Desktop(Windows XP SP3) and moving some HTML files to it. Trying to
> open the Html files in the Briefcase folder then produces the error:
>
> "The Briefcase is in use on another computer."
>

> And as you've stated, it does not happen when using IE6, I tested that also
> on a Windows XP SP3 machine.
>
> Something has changed along the way, but I have no idea what.

Biggest change would be switch from shdocvw.dll to ieframe.dll.
You can sort of see that there is some kind of hybridization going on
from your example. E.g. no Status bar and no "Help, About" but other
IE8 elements are present in the iexplore.exe window that opens up.

> I did run
> Procmon to see if I could capture something in the process that would
> indicate what is happening to cause the error to be thrown in IE8. The only
> indication that Procmon provided was that there was a "Sharing Violation" on
> the hidden file "Briefcase Database" that's located inside the Briefcase
> folder.
>
> This apparently not something that has just cropped up with the release of
> IE8, all you need to do is Google the error message to see that there have
> been many inquiries about it posted on the web in the past few years.
> Unfortunately, no solutions have been posted to the many inquiries about
> this error message.

Any before IE7? For this cause?

FWIW my guess would be that the error message is bogus but I don't have IE6
to experiment with to try to understand what the symptom may really be saying to us.
E.g. if that path is not taken in IE6, that would be the reason why the message
is not seen with it, not that it could not happen for some other reason.

OTOH maybe it represents a fix and the message *should* have been seen in IE6? <eg>

> Like you, I was able to open all other file types(.jpg, .txt, etc) in the
> Briefcase folder...but not HTML files.
>
> So I have to assume at this point(from the Googling I did), that what ever
> change was made to cause this issue with opening HTML file(s) from the
> Briefcase folder was made with the release of IE7 and carries over to IE8.
> Since very few people use the Briefcase folder any more, it could be some
> Security Obscurity in the IE7, IE8 browser that has not made it to the light
> of day yet
>
> Sorry I have no other fix or workaround to offer you other that that which
> you've already alluded to.

I suspect it's another example of breaking the integration between the shell
and the browser. E.g. Vista doesn't support Offline Web Pages at all.
Neither do IE7 or IE8 but XP still does via Explorer. Does Vista support Briefcase?...
Wow! TBD? If so, *that* might be an interesting test to help understand both
the implementation and any different symptoms with it.

For example, on XP, look at the message you get when you try to open
the file with the Briefcase closed by navigating to it instead:
<message>
..html is not accessible. The directory name is invalid.
</message>

No it's not. It's just supposed to be hidden because of its desktop.ini

Once I rename desktop.ini that problem disappears.
Actually I'm kind of amazed I was allowed to do that
from this partition. ; )

So, what happens on Vista; is the desktop.ini a factor on it too?

Robert
---

> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

>> --
>> jbltwin1
>>

>> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>>

>>> "jbltwin1" <jbltwin1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Is it a matter of National Security, or can you post exactly how the
>>> Problem
>>> was "solved", others reading this may need the information.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Donald Anadell

Donald Anadell

> "Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "jbltwin1" <jbltwin1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I just thought since NOBODY responded in a couple of days the nobody
>>>else
>>> HAD this ever come up. As it turns out, there is something in the IE
>>> program
>>> that doesn't play nice with certain folder. The "new Briefcase" folder
>>> is
>>> factory installed folder that was there from the start. For SOME
>>> reason,
>>> IE
>>> 8 won't let it acces html documents in THAT folder, and THAT folder
>>> only.
>>> tried saving new documents INTO that folder WITH IE8 and that didn't
>>> help
>>> either. But I found that if you moved those same html documents to ANY
>>> other folder, they open. I created a new folder off to the side as a
>>> sub
>>> folder, put my docs in there and voila-problem solved. It never had a
>>> problem opening with IE6 and I even tried IE7 and it did the same
>>> thing-wouldn't open. It just does NOT like html docs in THAT folder.
>>> It
>>> will open other types in the same folder so there's a conlict with IE8
>>> somewhere.

>> Weird- huh!
>>
>> Weird indeed. Thanks for the feedback.
>>
>> I'm able to reproduce your issue here by creating a New Briefcase Folder
>> on
>> the Desktop(Windows XP SP3) and moving some HTML files to it. Trying to
>> open the Html files in the Briefcase folder then produces the error:
>>
>> "The Briefcase is in use on another computer."
>>

>> And as you've stated, it does not happen when using IE6, I tested that
>> also
>> on a Windows XP SP3 machine.
>>
>> Something has changed along the way, but I have no idea what.

> Biggest change would be switch from shdocvw.dll to ieframe.dll.
> You can sort of see that there is some kind of hybridization going on
> from your example. E.g. no Status bar and no "Help, About" but other
> IE8 elements are present in the iexplore.exe window that opens up.

Same behavior here, however once you click to remove the error message the
*******ized Window is drawn intact.

>> I did run
>> Procmon to see if I could capture something in the process that would
>> indicate what is happening to cause the error to be thrown in IE8. The
>> only
>> indication that Procmon provided was that there was a "Sharing Violation"
>> on
>> the hidden file "Briefcase Database" that's located inside the Briefcase
>> folder.
>>
>> This apparently not something that has just cropped up with the release
>> of
>> IE8, all you need to do is Google the error message to see that there
>> have
>> been many inquiries about it posted on the web in the past few years.
>> Unfortunately, no solutions have been posted to the many inquiries about
>> this error message.

> Any before IE7? For this cause?

Not to my knowledge Robert. I've only seen posts regarding this problem
attributed to IE7 and IE8

> FWIW my guess would be that the error message is bogus but I don't have
> IE6
> to experiment with to try to understand what the symptom may really be
> saying to us.
> E.g. if that path is not taken in IE6, that would be the reason why the
> message
> is not seen with it, not that it could not happen for some other reason.
>

> OTOH maybe it represents a fix and the message *should* have been seen in
> IE6? <eg>

My testing in IE6 on Windows XP SP3 did not throw this "Briefcase is in use
on another computer" error. Niether does IE6 throw the "Directory name is
invalid" error when navigating to the .html file inside Briefcase using IE6.

>> Like you, I was able to open all other file types(.jpg, .txt, etc) in the
>> Briefcase folder...but not HTML files.
>>
>> So I have to assume at this point(from the Googling I did), that what
>> ever
>> change was made to cause this issue with opening HTML file(s) from the
>> Briefcase folder was made with the release of IE7 and carries over to
>> IE8.
>> Since very few people use the Briefcase folder any more, it could be some
>> Security Obscurity in the IE7, IE8 browser that has not made it to the
>> light
>> of day yet
>>
>> Sorry I have no other fix or workaround to offer you other that that
>> which
>> you've already alluded to.

> I suspect it's another example of breaking the integration between the
> shell
> and the browser.

Agreed, but haven't been able to find any documentation on it to date.

> E.g. Vista doesn't support Offline Web Pages at all.
> Neither do IE7 or IE8 but XP still does via Explorer.

> Does Vista support Briefcase?...

No idea Robert, and I don't have a Vista machine to test with.

> Wow! TBD? If so, *that* might be an interesting test to help understand
> both
> the implementation and any different symptoms with it.
>
> For example, on XP, look at the message you get when you try to open
> the file with the Briefcase closed by navigating to it instead:
> <message>
> .html is not accessible. The directory name is invalid.
> </message>
>
> No it's not. It's just supposed to be hidden because of its desktop.ini
>
> Once I rename desktop.ini that problem disappears.
> Actually I'm kind of amazed I was allowed to do that
> from this partition. ; )

Yes, renaming the Desktop.ini file located in the Briefcase folder allows
you to navigate with IE8 to that Briefcase folder and open a .html file
without recieving the Invalid Directory error. Not only that, but here
renaming that Desktop.ini file also removes the "The Briefcase is in use on
another computer" error when double clicking on a .html file within the
Briefcase Folder(Thanks for the heads up on renameing that file).

The Desktop.ini file(s) are identical on both IE6 and IE8 machines:

[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={85BBD920-42A0-1069-A2E4-08002B30309D}
ConfirmFileOp=0

> So, what happens on Vista; is the desktop.ini a factor on it too?

Can't answer that question Robert as I don't have a Vista machine to test it
on.

Right now, renaming OR deleting that desktop.ini file located in the
Briefcase Folder resolves all issues with IE8 on Windows XP SP3 here.

Donald Anadell