Internet Explorer 8 Instances Limit

Hexello

Internet Explorer 8 Instances Limit
Why is Internet Explorer 8 limited to 30 instances (or 60 processes, 2
processes per instance)? It was possible to run as many instances of IE7 as
you have memory on your computer. For IE8, you won't be able to start new
IE8, if 60 processes are already running.
Don Varnau

Re: Internet Explorer 8 Instances Limit
Hi,
This is probably an issue involving the Operating System and desktop heap,
not a limit that's coded into Internet Explorer.

In this article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=184802
In this section
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
Manager\SubSystems\Windows
The default data for this registry value will look something like the
following (all on one line):

SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows
SharedSection=1024,3072,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows
ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
MaxRequestThreads=16

Changing 3072 to 4096 might allow you to open 80-90 windows.

You will be backing up (exporting) that key or backing up the registry or
creating a System Restore point before you modify the value, right?

APPLIES TO
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
Windows Vista (probably)

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Hexello" <Hexello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why is Internet Explorer 8 limited to 30 instances (or 60 processes, 2
> processes per instance)? It was possible to run as many instances of IE7

as
> you have memory on your computer. For IE8, you won't be able to start new
> IE8, if 60 processes are already running.

Hexello

Re: Internet Explorer 8 Instances Limit
I don't have such registry key in vista. Also the failed processes return
ERROR_SUCCESS code, instead of ERROR_WAIT_NO_CHILDREN. So it doesn't seem to
me like a OS, or desktop hrap limit.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> This is probably an issue involving the Operating System and desktop heap,
> not a limit that's coded into Internet Explorer.
>
> In this article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=184802
> In this section
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
> Manager\SubSystems\Windows
> The default data for this registry value will look something like the
> following (all on one line):
>
> SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows
> SharedSection=1024,3072,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows
> ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
> ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
> MaxRequestThreads=16
>
> Changing 3072 to 4096 might allow you to open 80-90 windows.
>
> You will be backing up (exporting) that key or backing up the registry or
> creating a System Restore point before you modify the value, right?
>
> APPLIES TO
> Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
> Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition
> Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
> Windows Vista (probably)
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Hexello" <Hexello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Why is Internet Explorer 8 limited to 30 instances (or 60 processes, 2
> > processes per instance)? It was possible to run as many instances of IE7

> as
> > you have memory on your computer. For IE8, you won't be able to start new
> > IE8, if 60 processes are already running.

Don Varnau

Re: Internet Explorer 8 Instances Limit
Hi,
Sorry, I don't know why I have this key in Vista Ultimate, but your registry
doesn't...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
Manager\SubSystems (String Value) Windows

I'm not sure why I would ever have 60 IE processes running, but does this
appear to be a "hard" limit? Is it always 60 processes?

Does the situation change if you use different combinations such as 10
windows with 3 tabs each or 3 windows with 10 tabs each?

> I don't have such registry key in vista. Also the failed processes return
> ERROR_SUCCESS code, instead of ERROR_WAIT_NO_CHILDREN. So it doesn't seem

> me like a OS, or desktop hrap limit.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > This is probably an issue involving the Operating System and desktop

heap,
> > not a limit that's coded into Internet Explorer.
> >
> > In this article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=184802
> > In this section
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
> > Manager\SubSystems\Windows
> > The default data for this registry value will look something like the
> > following (all on one line):
> >
> > SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows
> > SharedSection=1024,3072,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows
> > ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
> > ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
> > MaxRequestThreads=16
> >
> > Changing 3072 to 4096 might allow you to open 80-90 windows.
> >
> > You will be backing up (exporting) that key or backing up the registry

or
> > creating a System Restore point before you modify the value, right?
> >
> > APPLIES TO
> > Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
> > Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition
> > Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> > Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
> > Windows Vista (probably)

> > "Hexello" <Hexello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Why is Internet Explorer 8 limited to 30 instances (or 60 processes, 2
> > > processes per instance)? It was possible to run as many instances of

IE7
> > as
> > > you have memory on your computer. For IE8, you won't be able to start

new
> > > IE8, if 60 processes are already running.

Hexello

Re: Internet Explorer 8 Instances Limit
Well, running multiple processes is simplier than making tabs.
I've achieved such result of 30 instances by a simple batch file:
for /l %%X in (0,1,32) do iexplore.exe www.google.com

You can place any site there, it doesn't matter. After running it you'll
have 30 IE running instead of 32.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Sorry, I don't know why I have this key in Vista Ultimate, but your registry
> doesn't...
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
> Manager\SubSystems (String Value) Windows
>
> I'm not sure why I would ever have 60 IE processes running, but does this
> appear to be a "hard" limit? Is it always 60 processes?
>
> Does the situation change if you use different combinations such as 10
> windows with 3 tabs each or 3 windows with 10 tabs each?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Hexello" <Hexello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I don't have such registry key in vista. Also the failed processes return
> > ERROR_SUCCESS code, instead of ERROR_WAIT_NO_CHILDREN. So it doesn't seem

> > me like a OS, or desktop hrap limit.

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > This is probably an issue involving the Operating System and desktop

> heap,
> > > not a limit that's coded into Internet Explorer.
> > >
> > > In this article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=184802
> > > In this section
> > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
> > > Manager\SubSystems\Windows
> > > The default data for this registry value will look something like the
> > > following (all on one line):
> > >
> > > SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows
> > > SharedSection=1024,3072,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows
> > > ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
> > > ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
> > > MaxRequestThreads=16
> > >
> > > Changing 3072 to 4096 might allow you to open 80-90 windows.
> > >
> > > You will be backing up (exporting) that key or backing up the registry

> or
> > > creating a System Restore point before you modify the value, right?
> > >
> > > APPLIES TO
> > > Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
> > > Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition
> > > Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> > > Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
> > > Windows Vista (probably)

> > > "Hexello" <Hexello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> IE7
> > > as