Uninstall IE8 on new Dell

George

Uninstall IE8 on new Dell
A friend asked me, "if her new Dell has IE8 on it can it be uninstalled
and reloaded with IE7?" as a program they use can not be run using IE8.

My understanding is that it can NOT be uninstalled unless it has already
had IE7 or IE6 on it, is this correct?

I have read the Microsoft website that talks about uninstalling IE8 but
they say to fall back to IE7, etc.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Can IE8 be uninstalled on a brand new Dell machine and then have IE7 put
back onto it, and if so how? All of the Google sites I googled also
implied that IE7 or IE6 must have been installed first.

George

Re: Uninstall IE8 on new Dell
Unless it's a Win7 box (highly unlikely <wink>), she should be able to
uninstall IE8 per KB957700. Doing so would automatically return the
WinXP/Vista box to IE7.
www.banthecheck.com

George wrote:
> A friend asked me, "if her new Dell has IE8 on it can it be uninstalled
> and reloaded with IE7?" as a program they use can not be run using IE8.
>
> My understanding is that it can NOT be uninstalled unless it has already
> had IE7 or IE6 on it, is this correct?
>
> I have read the Microsoft website that talks about uninstalling IE8 but
> they say to fall back to IE7, etc.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
> Can IE8 be uninstalled on a brand new Dell machine and then have IE7 put
> back onto it, and if so how? All of the Google sites I googled also
> implied that IE7 or IE6 must have been installed first.
>
> George

George

Re: Uninstall IE8 on new Dell
PA,

Thanks for the response but my understanding is that they make an image
with IE8 on it and it never would have had IE7, is that a bad
assumption? She actually ordered it with Win XP on it. Keep in mind
that this is still in the box and she wants to know when she goes to set
it up if she can revert back to IE7.

George

> Unless it's a Win7 box (highly unlikely <wink>), she should be able to
> uninstall IE8 per KB957700. Doing so would automatically return the
> WinXP/Vista box to IE7.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> George wrote:
>> A friend asked me, "if her new Dell has IE8 on it can it be
>> uninstalled
>> and reloaded with IE7?" as a program they use can not be run using
>> IE8.
>>
>> My understanding is that it can NOT be uninstalled unless it has
>> already
>> had IE7 or IE6 on it, is this correct?
>>
>> I have read the Microsoft website that talks about uninstalling IE8
>> but
>> they say to fall back to IE7, etc.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>>
>> Can IE8 be uninstalled on a brand new Dell machine and then have IE7
>> put
>> back onto it, and if so how? All of the Google sites I googled also
>> implied that IE7 or IE6 must have been installed first.
>>
>> George

Re: Uninstall IE8 on new Dell
Nevertheless, the proof is in the pudding:

Is "Windows Internet Explorer 8" listed in Add/Remove Programs, George?

If you select (highlight) it, is a REMOVE button available?

George wrote:
> Thanks for the response but my understanding is that they make an image
> with IE8 on it and it never would have had IE7, is that a bad
> assumption? She actually ordered it with Win XP on it. Keep in mind
> that this is still in the box and she wants to know when she goes to set
> it up if she can revert back to IE7.
>
>> Unless it's a Win7 box (highly unlikely <wink>), she should be able to
>> uninstall IE8 per KB957700. Doing so would automatically return the
>> WinXP/Vista box to IE7.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> George wrote:
>>> A friend asked me, "if her new Dell has IE8 on it can it be
>>> uninstalled
>>> and reloaded with IE7?" as a program they use can not be run using
>>> IE8.
>>>
>>> My understanding is that it can NOT be uninstalled unless it has
>>> already
>>> had IE7 or IE6 on it, is this correct?
>>>
>>> I have read the Microsoft website that talks about uninstalling IE8
>>> but
>>> they say to fall back to IE7, etc.
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>>>
>>> Can IE8 be uninstalled on a brand new Dell machine and then have IE7
>>> put
>>> back onto it, and if so how? All of the Google sites I googled also
>>> implied that IE7 or IE6 must have been installed first.
>>>
>>> George

George

Re: Uninstall IE8 on new Dell
Thanks again PA and we will see :-) I have passed on the relevant
information and she plans to tackle this Saturday so we will see...

Thanks!
George