Bing double underline popups

PT

Bing double underline popups
IE8;WinXP Home

Perhaps this has come up and I missed it.

I use Bing as my default search tool. I've recently noticed that on
some web pages, Bing inserts green double underlines on certain words
or phrases. If the cursor brushes over one of them, a Bing
advertising popup displays.

This happens on web pages which I loaded without using Bing. I have
my popup blocker turned on

Is there a way to prevent this annoyance?

Also, is MS planning to add a Bing usenet group?

VanguardLH

Re: Bing double underline popups
PT wrote:

> I use Bing as my default search tool. I've recently noticed that on
> some web pages, Bing inserts green double underlines on certain words
> or phrases. If the cursor brushes over one of them, a Bing
> advertising popup displays.
>
> This happens on web pages which I loaded without using Bing. I have
> my popup blocker turned on
>
> Is there a way to prevent this annoyance?

Oh, certain web pages. Are they secret web pages?

I can't tell if Bing is involved at all. There are advertising services
used by some sites that use Javascript and tables to underline keywords
within a web page. When the mouse hovers over them, the ad or link to
it will show up. That's called an Intellitext ad link. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellitext

The name is used only because they were the first proliferator of this
advertising scheme. There are plenty of others uses the same scheme.
You'll have to block those sources to get rid of the nuisance, like with
an ad-blocker proxy or add-on to your web browser, using a hosts file
(to redirect their IP addresses to a non-existent host, or yours if you
don't run a web browser), or other ad-blocking methods.

Since you didn't bother to mention any actual pages, no one can tell
whose page had the Intellitext ad links or to where they point. Bing is
a search engine. So is Google. Yahoo has one and do many others. That
a web page in their results list uses Intellitext ad links has nothing
to do with the search service itself.
Tom Willett

Re: Bing double underline popups
Ask here:
http://www.bing.com/community/forums/

"PT" <inconnu3939@gmail.com> wrote in message
: IE8;WinXP Home
:
: Perhaps this has come up and I missed it.
:
: I use Bing as my default search tool. I've recently noticed that on
: some web pages, Bing inserts green double underlines on certain words
: or phrases. If the cursor brushes over one of them, a Bing
: advertising popup displays.
:
: This happens on web pages which I loaded without using Bing. I have
: my popup blocker turned on
:
: Is there a way to prevent this annoyance?
:
: Also, is MS planning to add a Bing usenet group?
:

Steve Hebert

Re: Bing double underline popups
Bing just happens to be the advertiser you see frequently right now. It's
the site that you're visiting that has an advertising arrangement with
[probably] vibrantmedia. Watch the demo video - is that what you see?
http://www.vibrantmedia.com/. Other advertisers use this service besides
Bing.

--
Steve