IE7, IE8, High CPU Usage when moving mouse? (Flash , Dynamic Websi

zx3030

IE7, IE8, High CPU Usage when moving mouse? (Flash , Dynamic Websi
Dear all, has anybody discovered why IE7, IE8 consumes so much CPU % when you
move the mouse cursor around the window on some websites?

On a 3GHz, 4GB RAM system running IE7, visiting Youtube front page, not
watching any video content, just moving the mouse about the page can peak CPU
% to approx 40%; whereas no mouse movement leaves the CPU idle at 1%.

On an older P4HT system, the CPU % while moving the mouse and watching a
Flash movie peaked at 100%, causing the video to become choppy and
unwatchable.

And another system, 3GHz, 4GB RAM, running IE8, same effects of peaks up to
30% when moving the mouse while watching a Flash video.

Any suggestions? The problem only seems to be affecting IE7, IE8. Flash
player 10 installed, but also tested with Flash player 8, same CPU % spikes.

Perhaps a problem with the rendering code in IE?

Many thanks.

Don Varnau

Re: IE7, IE8, High CPU Usage when moving mouse? (Flash , Dynamic Websi
Hi,

See if a browser add-on or other third-party program is causing this.

For troubleshooting information see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

More at:
Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

2. If the behavior is not caused by an add-on, look for a third-party
program
as the cause.
936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"zx3030" <zx3030@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear all, has anybody discovered why IE7, IE8 consumes so much CPU % when

you
> move the mouse cursor around the window on some websites?
>
> On a 3GHz, 4GB RAM system running IE7, visiting Youtube front page, not
> watching any video content, just moving the mouse about the page can peak

CPU
> % to approx 40%; whereas no mouse movement leaves the CPU idle at 1%.
>
> On an older P4HT system, the CPU % while moving the mouse and watching a
> Flash movie peaked at 100%, causing the video to become choppy and
> unwatchable.
>
> And another system, 3GHz, 4GB RAM, running IE8, same effects of peaks up

> 30% when moving the mouse while watching a Flash video.
>
> Any suggestions? The problem only seems to be affecting IE7, IE8. Flash
> player 10 installed, but also tested with Flash player 8, same CPU %

spikes.

> Perhaps a problem with the rendering code in IE?
>
> Many thanks.

zx3030

Re: IE7, IE8, High CPU Usage when moving mouse? (Flash , Dynamic W
Thanks for the fast reply Don, have tried No Add-Ons mode and no difference,
plus this issue affects more than one system running IE7, IE8 etc which have
no 3rd party add-ons etc or processes, so we are somewhat lost.

I did some further tests, as follows, all % shown are CPU usage peaks in
task manager, system is XP Pro, 3Ghz, 4GB RAM :-

Firefox 2,
Idle = 0%
Youtube frontpage, mouse movements = 5%
This microsoft discussion page, mouse movements up/down subject list = 4%

Firefox 3.5,
Idle = 0%
Youtube frontpage, mouse movements = 5%
This microsoft discussion page, mouse movements up/down subject list = 4%

IE 7 (Normal mode),
Idle = 0%
Youtube frontpage, mouse movements = 43%
This microsoft discussion page, mouse movements up/down subject list = 50%

IE 8 (Normal mode),
Idle = 0%
Youtube frontpage, mouse movements = 18%
This microsoft discussion page, mouse movements up/down subject list = 45%

IE 7 (No Add-Ons),
Idle = 0%
Youtube frontpage, mouse movements = 45%
This microsoft discussion page, mouse movements up/down subject list = 50%

IE 8 (No Add-Ons),
Idle = 0%
Youtube frontpage, mouse movements = 22%
This microsoft discussion page, mouse movements up/down subject list = 45%

I'm lost as to what may be causing this.

Many thanks in advance!

zx3030

Re: IE7, IE8, High CPU Usage when moving mouse? (Flash , Dynamic W

In addition, I have just run the same test with IE 6 on an older system
(E4600/2.40GHz/2GB), results as follows :-

IE 6,
Idle = 0%
Youtube frontpage, mouse movements = 6%
This microsoft discussion page, mouse movements up/down subject list = 30%

Many thanks.

Re: IE7, IE8, High CPU Usage when moving mouse? (Flash , Dynamic Websi
Cannot reproduce here.

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? [Yes,
every user *does* have Add-ons!] To start IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the machines

www.banthecheck.com

zx3030 wrote:
> Dear all, has anybody discovered why IE7, IE8 consumes so much CPU % when
> you move the mouse cursor around the window on some websites?
>
> On a 3GHz, 4GB RAM system running IE7, visiting Youtube front page, not
> watching any video content, just moving the mouse about the page can peak
> CPU % to approx 40%; whereas no mouse movement leaves the CPU idle at 1%.
>
> On an older P4HT system, the CPU % while moving the mouse and watching a
> Flash movie peaked at 100%, causing the video to become choppy and
> unwatchable.
>
> And another system, 3GHz, 4GB RAM, running IE8, same effects of peaks up
> 30% when moving the mouse while watching a Flash video.
>
> Any suggestions? The problem only seems to be affecting IE7, IE8. Flash
> player 10 installed, but also tested with Flash player 8, same CPU %
> spikes.
>
> Perhaps a problem with the rendering code in IE?
>
> Many thanks.

Don Varnau

Re: IE7, IE8, High CPU Usage when moving mouse? (Flash , Dynamic W
Hi,
Sorry, I'm not seeing the memory/CPU usage on Youtube that you're seeing.
Yes, IE8 is nearly always using more memory than Firefox to display a given
page, but not enough, normally, for Flash videos to not play.

If the memory/CPU usage is not caused by a browser add-on, perhaps a
third-party security (or other) program.
-

> Thanks for the fast reply Don, have tried No Add-Ons mode and no

difference,
> plus this issue affects more than one system running IE7, IE8 etc which

have
> no 3rd party add-ons etc or processes, so we are somewhat lost.
>
> I did some further tests, as follows, all % shown are CPU usage peaks in
> task manager, system is XP Pro, 3Ghz, 4GB RAM :-
>
> Firefox 2,
> Idle = 0%
> Youtube frontpage, mouse movements = 5%
> This microsoft discussion page, mouse movements up/down subject list = 4%
>
> Firefox 3.5,
> Idle = 0%
> Youtube frontpage, mouse movements = 5%
> This microsoft discussion page, mouse movements up/down subject list = 4%
>
> IE 7 (Normal mode),
> Idle = 0%
> Youtube frontpage, mouse movements = 43%
> This microsoft discussion page, mouse movements up/down subject list = 50%
>
> IE 8 (Normal mode),
> Idle = 0%
> Youtube frontpage, mouse movements = 18%
> This microsoft discussion page, mouse movements up/down subject list = 45%
>
> IE 7 (No Add-Ons),
> Idle = 0%
> Youtube frontpage, mouse movements = 45%
> This microsoft discussion page, mouse movements up/down subject list = 50%
>
> IE 8 (No Add-Ons),
> Idle = 0%
> Youtube frontpage, mouse movements = 22%
> This microsoft discussion page, mouse movements up/down subject list = 45%
>
> I'm lost as to what may be causing this.
>
> Many thanks in advance!

zx3030

Re: IE7, IE8, High CPU Usage when moving mouse? (Flash , Dynamic W
Hi there,

Removed everything I could from IE in No Add-Ons mode, disabled 3rd party
extensions, took out all the BHO entities via HJT and so on, even reduced the
browser to the point of it not displaying images, media, scripts, nothing,
very basic, no difference. Seems to be affected on Youtube front page badly.
So I ran Process Explorer, with the debug symbols and noticed that
IEFRAME.dll is maxing out when moving the mouse around the page within the
browser window..

TID = 3472
CPU = 41.44
CSwitch Delta = 242
Start Address = IEFRAME.dll!CTabWindow::_TabWindowThreadProc

Stack:
ntkrnlpa.exe!KiSwapContext+0x2f
ntkrnlpa.exe!KiSwapThread+0x8a
ntkrnlpa.exe!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x1c2
ntkrnlpa.exe!KiSuspendThread+0x18
ntkrnlpa.exe!KiDeliverApc+0x124
ntkrnlpa.exe!KiSwapThread+0xa8
ntkrnlpa.exe!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x1c2
win32k.sys!xxxSleepThread+0x192
win32k.sys!xxxRealWaitMessageEx+0x12
win32k.sys!NtUserWaitMessage+0x14
ntkrnlpa.exe!KiFastCallEntry+0xfc
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
USER32.dll!NtUserWaitMessage+0xc
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadStart+0x37

I will see if I can try in Safe Mode and report back my findings if
different. Very odd all this. The problem is observed on multiple machines,
all running XP SP2, up to date security patches etc.

Thanks again.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Cannot reproduce here.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? [Yes,
> every user *does* have Add-ons!] To start IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?
>
> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the machines

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> zx3030 wrote:
> > Dear all, has anybody discovered why IE7, IE8 consumes so much CPU % when
> > you move the mouse cursor around the window on some websites?
> >
> > On a 3GHz, 4GB RAM system running IE7, visiting Youtube front page, not
> > watching any video content, just moving the mouse about the page can peak
> > CPU % to approx 40%; whereas no mouse movement leaves the CPU idle at 1%.
> >
> > On an older P4HT system, the CPU % while moving the mouse and watching a
> > Flash movie peaked at 100%, causing the video to become choppy and
> > unwatchable.
> >
> > And another system, 3GHz, 4GB RAM, running IE8, same effects of peaks up
> > 30% when moving the mouse while watching a Flash video.
> >
> > Any suggestions? The problem only seems to be affecting IE7, IE8. Flash
> > player 10 installed, but also tested with Flash player 8, same CPU %
> > spikes.
> >
> > Perhaps a problem with the rendering code in IE?
> >
> > Many thanks.

Re: IE7, IE8, High CPU Usage when moving mouse? (Flash , Dynamic W
What about #2, #4a & #4b?

> Removed everything I could from IE in No Add-Ons mode

Starting IE in No Add-ons mode automatically "removes" (disables)
everything.

> ...The problem is observed on multiple machines,
> all running XP SP2

While SP3 shouldn't have anything to do with this, why hasn't SP3 been
installed yet? After 12 April 2010, WinXP computers will NOT be offered any
further critical security updates nor will Windows Update website be
available until and unless you get SP3 installed.

zx3030 wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> On a 3GHz, 4GB RAM system running IE7, visiting Youtube front page, not
>>> watching any video content, just moving the mouse about the page can
>>> peak
>>> CPU % to approx 40%; whereas no mouse movement leaves the CPU idle at
>>> 1%.
>>>
>>> On an older P4HT system, the CPU % while moving the mouse and watching a
>>> Flash movie peaked at 100%, causing the video to become choppy and
>>> unwatchable.
>>>
>>> And another system, 3GHz, 4GB RAM, running IE8, same effects of peaks up
>>> 30% when moving the mouse while watching a Flash video.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? The problem only seems to be affecting IE7, IE8. Flash
>>> player 10 installed, but also tested with Flash player 8, same CPU %
>>> spikes.
>>>
>>> Perhaps a problem with the rendering code in IE?

zx3030

Re: IE7, IE8, High CPU Usage when moving mouse? (Flash , Dynamic W
Hi there, answers to your specific questions..

1 - No Add-Ons mode = No change.
2 - RSIE = No change.
3 - Safe Mode = No change.
4a - Issue exists on PCs with Sophos AV, Avast AV or No AV. Issue exists
where Windows firewall, Kerio firewall, Online Armor firewall or No firewall
in use. Windows Defender disabled.
4b - Norton/McAfee = Never been installed.

Regards, No Add-Ons mode, when in this mode, if you go into Internet Options
> Programs > Manage Add-Ons, I noticed they were still listed as Enabled (IE

UI issue?), so Disabled/Uninstalled them just to make sure.

Regards XP SP3, all our XP SP2 clients are fully security patched to
current, and we will be upgrading our client base in the near future to SP3
re XP support requirements.

I have also tried an old P3-1.13Ghz laptop running XP SP3 and IE7, this
results in 100% cpu usage when messing with the mouse either on youtube or
this microsoft discussion (moving up/down the fancy subject list). Whereas FF
3.5 yielded much better results. Interesting results since MS's own
specification for IE7 is a 233Mhz processor
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...e7/sysreq.mspx).

I suspect the issue lies in how IE7, IE8 handles dynamic content in web
pages, thrashing the CPU when performing mouse cursor redraws, 40% hits on a
3Ghz dual-core processor is a complete waste of cpu cycles, heat and energy;
and does impact on the customer experience overall.

Many thanks for your help anyway.

allanctan is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: IE7, IE8, High CPU Usage when moving mouse? (Flash , Dynamic W
I notice the same problem on IE7. Mouse movements cause CPU to jump up to > 50% which seems rather odd. Is it a rendering problem on IE engine?
Anyone has idea how to solve this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3030 View Post
Hi there, answers to your specific questions..

1 - No Add-Ons mode = No change.
2 - RSIE = No change.
3 - Safe Mode = No change.
4a - Issue exists on PCs with Sophos AV, Avast AV or No AV. Issue exists
where Windows firewall, Kerio firewall, Online Armor firewall or No firewall
in use. Windows Defender disabled.
4b - Norton/McAfee = Never been installed.

Regards, No Add-Ons mode, when in this mode, if you go into Internet Options
> Programs > Manage Add-Ons, I noticed they were still listed as Enabled (IE

UI issue?), so Disabled/Uninstalled them just to make sure.

Regards XP SP3, all our XP SP2 clients are fully security patched to
current, and we will be upgrading our client base in the near future to SP3
re XP support requirements.

I have also tried an old P3-1.13Ghz laptop running XP SP3 and IE7, this
results in 100% cpu usage when messing with the mouse either on youtube or
this microsoft discussion (moving up/down the fancy subject list). Whereas FF
3.5 yielded much better results. Interesting results since MS's own
specification for IE7 is a 233Mhz processor
(Internet Explorer: System Requirements).