How to reinstall IE8

yuezhang448

How to reinstall IE8
Currently IE8 on my computer is corrupt. How to repair it? Normally just
uninstall and install again. But I don't know to unstall it. Please help.

yue
Don Varnau

Re: How to reinstall IE8
Hi,
957700- How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"yuezhang448" <yuezhang448@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Currently IE8 on my computer is corrupt. How to repair it? Normally just
> uninstall and install again. But I don't know to unstall it. Please help.
>
> yue

Re: How to reinstall IE8
See Don's reply. How have you determined that IE8 is corrupt? Does the
behavior persist if you uninstall IE8 but don't reinstall it?

yuezhang448 wrote:
> Currently IE8 on my computer is corrupt. How to repair it? Normally just
> uninstall and install again. But I don't know to unstall it. Please help.

yuezhang448

Re: How to reinstall IE8
After I download a program that unexpected change my home page, some of
website become unstable and corrupt (some of yahoo sites, eg). So I removed
the program and IE8, then reinstall it. But problems remain. Also when I use
safari, yahoo site is ok, but can't shows video online, with error message
"no plugin installed for content of MIME type 'application/x-shockwave-flash'
". Follow it to website, but I can't install adobe flash player either. Any
thought are welcome.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See Don's reply. How have you determined that IE8 is corrupt? Does the
> behavior persist if you uninstall IE8 but don't reinstall it?
>
> yuezhang448 wrote:
> > Currently IE8 on my computer is corrupt. How to repair it? Normally just
> > uninstall and install again. But I don't know to unstall it. Please help.

Re: How to reinstall IE8
Uninstalling/reinstalling IE8 isn't going to fix this behavior: You are
probably seeing the effects of a hijackware infection...and Windows is
infected, not IE.

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as well.**

www.banthecheck.com

yuezhang448 wrote:
> After I download a program that unexpected change my home page, some of
> website become unstable and corrupt (some of yahoo sites, eg). So I
> removed
> the program and IE8, then reinstall it. But problems remain. Also when I
> use safari, yahoo site is ok, but can't shows video online, with error
> message "no plugin installed for content of MIME type
> 'application/x-shockwave-flash' ". Follow it to website, but I can't
> install adobe flash player either. Any thought are welcome.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> See Don's reply. How have you determined that IE8 is corrupt? Does the
>> behavior persist if you uninstall IE8 but don't reinstall it?
>>
>> yuezhang448 wrote:
>>> Currently IE8 on my computer is corrupt. How to repair it? Normally just
>>> uninstall and install again. But I don't know to unstall it. Please
>>> help.

yuezhang448

Re: How to reinstall IE8
I run MSRT with full scan, but problem remains. I download the MSRT with the
infected computer, so it may be infected too. But I don't have uninfected
computer to work with. So the only option is to form and reinstall the vista
system on the computer.

Questions:
1. May I save the data to the backup disk? Will it infect backup disk?
2. Why did not norton antivirus detect the hijackware?

Thanks.
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Uninstalling/reinstalling IE8 isn't going to fix this behavior: You are
> probably seeing the effects of a hijackware infection...and Windows is
> infected, not IE.
>
> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had
> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has
> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!

> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>
> 2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan
> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>
> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> **Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
> http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as well.**
>
> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> yuezhang448 wrote:
> > After I download a program that unexpected change my home page, some of
> > website become unstable and corrupt (some of yahoo sites, eg). So I
> > removed
> > the program and IE8, then reinstall it. But problems remain. Also when I
> > use safari, yahoo site is ok, but can't shows video online, with error
> > message "no plugin installed for content of MIME type
> > 'application/x-shockwave-flash' ". Follow it to website, but I can't
> > install adobe flash player either. Any thought are welcome.
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> See Don's reply. How have you determined that IE8 is corrupt? Does the
> >> behavior persist if you uninstall IE8 but don't reinstall it?

Re: How to reinstall IE8
You can back up your personal data, yes, but there's no guarantees that it
will be 100% trustworthy as-is.

Did you ever purchase Norton AntiVirus? Is your subscription still current?

yuezhang448 wrote:
> I run MSRT with full scan, but problem remains. I download the MSRT with
> the
> infected computer, so it may be infected too. But I don't have uninfected
> computer to work with. So the only option is to form and reinstall the
> vista
> system on the computer.
>
> Questions:
> 1. May I save the data to the backup disk? Will it infect backup disk?
> 2. Why did not norton antivirus detect the hijackware?
>
> Thanks.
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Uninstalling/reinstalling IE8 isn't going to fix this behavior: You are
>> probably seeing the effects of a hijackware infection...and Windows is
>> infected, not IE.
>>
>> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription
>> had
>> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription
>> has
>> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
>> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
>> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!
>>
>> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>
>> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
>> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
>> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>>
>> 2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection'
>> scan
>> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>
>> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
>> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>>
>> **Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
>> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
>> http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as
>> well.**
>>
>> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> yuezhang448 wrote:
>>> After I download a program that unexpected change my home page, some of
>>> website become unstable and corrupt (some of yahoo sites, eg). So I
>>> removed
>>> the program and IE8, then reinstall it. But problems remain. Also when
>>> use safari, yahoo site is ok, but can't shows video online, with error
>>> message "no plugin installed for content of MIME type
>>> 'application/x-shockwave-flash' ". Follow it to website, but I can't
>>> install adobe flash player either. Any thought are welcome.

yuezhang448

Re: How to reinstall IE8
Norton AntiVirus is still current. I did full scan with it, but there is no
problems. May be I need an internet version of norton.

Also right now I can access hotmail without password. Could hotmail account
be infected?

Thanks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> >> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> >> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> >> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
> >>
> >> **Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
> >> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
> >> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
> >> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
> >> http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
> >> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as
> >> well.**
> >>
> >> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> >> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> >> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.

Re: How to reinstall IE8
Perhaps Symantec Support can tell why NAV didn't protect you?

If you're signed-out of all Windows Live IDs and you can access your Hotmail
page, there's a very good chance your Hotmail account and associated Live ID
have been hijacked, yes.

yuezhang448 wrote:
> Norton AntiVirus is still current. I did full scan with it, but there is
> no
> problems. May be I need an internet version of norton.
>
> Also right now I can access hotmail without password. Could hotmail
> account
> be infected?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You can back up your personal data, yes, but there's no guarantees that
>> it
>> will be 100% trustworthy as-is.
>>
>> Did you ever purchase Norton AntiVirus? Is your subscription still
>> current?
>>

>> yuezhang448 wrote:
>>> I run MSRT with full scan, but problem remains. I download the MSRT with
>>> the
>>> infected computer, so it may be infected too. But I don't have
>>> uninfected
>>> computer to work with. So the only option is to form and reinstall the
>>> vista
>>> system on the computer.
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>> 1. May I save the data to the backup disk? Will it infect backup disk?
>>> 2. Why did not norton antivirus detect the hijackware?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

yuezhang448

Re: How to reinstall IE8
What does it mean? Hotmail account is stored in another server. So if I
format my computer and reinstall it, everything will be ok again, right?