Re: Upgrading IE6...?

[Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]

After 12 April 2010, your computer will NOT be offered any critical security
updates nor will Windows Update website be available until and unless you
get SP3 installed so you'd best get WinXP SP3 and all post-SP3 patches
installed first.

About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched (You can probably skip
Step #4)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

2. To install IE7, see Sandi's Installation Tips for IE7 (Steps #1-8, #10 &
#11; take note of #12, then STOP!)
(ignore any references to Vista)

IE7 will not be offered via Windows Update. You can download the installer
for WinXP here:

Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. Then double-click on the
saved file when you're ready to install IE7.

Make *certain* that you check in at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
immediately after installing IE7, select the CUSTOM option & scan. Install
any critical security updates offered. If Optional Updates category offers
Root Certificates update, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
additional security.

NB: DO NOT INSTALL IE8! Uncheck it then "hide" it.

About IE7 (and IE8) Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
www.banthecheck.com

Janetb wrote:
> .I have seen a lot of forum posts where people got into a lot of trouble
> upgrading from IE6 to either 7 or 8. Thus, I have stuck with my IE6. But I
> have recently discovered that I am consequently missing out on various
> dropdown menus; also a number of sites say they are phasing out
> compatibility with IE6. I thus feel compelled to upgrade....
>
> I am looking for a site which has detailed, exact directions (like MS's
> KB)
> for switching from IE6 to IE7 WITHOUT LOSING ANY Favorites, History,
> Settings, IE data (e.g., AutoFill), and/or extensive OE Data.
>
> My OS is XP Pro SP2.

BillW50

Re: Upgrading IE6...?
In news:%230hMsrfHKHA.6068@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
PA Bear [MS MVP] typed on Sat, 15 Aug 2009 18:44:27 -0400:
> [Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]
>
> After 12 April 2010, your computer will NOT be offered any critical
> security updates nor will Windows Update website be available until
> and unless you get SP3 installed so you'd best get WinXP SP3 and all
> post-SP3 patches installed first.

The lack of support is a very old one and it goes back to MS-DOS v1.0.
So this shouldn't be a big deal either, we have been all through this
before. Just keep you other security software up-to-date and you should
be just fine.

There are many reasons why somebody doesn't want to install SP3.

1) It eats up too much room on small drive systems

2) Doesn't add any new features

3) Breaks some applications and drivers, even MS own EWF

4) Some people have reported slower performance

And I am sure there are many more reasons.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

N. Miller

Re: Upgrading IE6...?
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:46:36 -0500, BillW50 wrote:

> In news:%230hMsrfHKHA.6068@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
> PA Bear [MS MVP] typed on Sat, 15 Aug 2009 18:44:27 -0400:
>> [Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]
>>
>> After 12 April 2010, your computer will NOT be offered any critical
>> security updates nor will Windows Update website be available until
>> and unless you get SP3 installed so you'd best get WinXP SP3 and all
>> post-SP3 patches installed first.

> The lack of support is a very old one and it goes back to MS-DOS v1.0.
> So this shouldn't be a big deal either, we have been all through this
> before. Just keep you other security software up-to-date and you should
> be just fine.
>
> There are many reasons why somebody doesn't want to install SP3.
>
> 1) It eats up too much room on small drive systems

The smallest drive I've seen on a computer with sufficient resources to run
Windows XP at all is 20 GB. That computer only has 256 MB of RAM, and that,
not SP3, is the cause of it running so slowly.

> 2) Doesn't add any new features

It is my understanding that it rolled up a number of critical updates that
otherwise had to be installed separately.

> 3) Breaks some applications and drivers, even MS own EWF

I can't say that it has done that on anything I've installed it on.

> 4) Some people have reported slower performance

And some haven't.

> And I am sure there are many more reasons.

If SP3 is such a dog on your hardware, it might be time to either:

Upgrade to newer hardware.

Install an OS that can run on the hardware; say, one of the Linux distros.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
Janetb

Re: Upgrading IE6...?
Thank you all for your input, but I would appreciate getting back to my
original post....:-)....

My system is 20 GB with 256 MB of RAM. When I move a few months down the
line, I will get an entire new system. I am presently looking for interim
solutions. I would like to safely upgrade to IE7. I believe my original post
has clearly outlined the situation, so please do not suggest actions which
will be perfectly suitable down the line but not just now (for me).

Many thanks,
Janet

Re: Upgrading IE6...?
Answered roughly 1.5 hours after your original post in this thread on 15
August:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...71ca33c663e172

NB: I strongly recommend installing SP3 and any post-SP3 critical security
updates prior to installing IE7.

Janetb wrote:
> Thank you all for your input, but I would appreciate getting back to my
> original post....:-)....
>
> My system is 20 GB with 256 MB of RAM. When I move a few months down the
> line, I will get an entire new system. I am presently looking for interim
> solutions. I would like to safely upgrade to IE7. I believe my original
> post
> has clearly outlined the situation, so please do not suggest actions which
> will be perfectly suitable down the line but not just now (for me).

Janetb

Re: Upgrading IE6...?
Dear PA Bear:

May I offer my sincerest apologies!!! When I was notified of your first
post, I was unable to open the page--got an all white blank page. I tried a
number of times at different times, but never was able to open it. Then I
guess I eventually forgot that I had not seen it. By the time I received
notification of the new posts (yesterday) I had forgotten all about it. Once
again I got only a white page from the email link, so this time I went to the
forum and searched my post. When I read the exerpts of your post within the
new posts, they of course did not include all the 'good' (for me) parts...!
It just didn't occur to me to go back to your original post. Yes, you gave me
ALL the info I was looking for....:-)....! So I will go through it link by
link now and let you know if any further questions come up....I'm going to
assume that once I have SP3 and IE7, email links to this page will work
again....:-)....

Thanks for the help! Again, my apologies...
Janet

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Answered roughly 1.5 hours after your original post in this thread on 15
> August:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...71ca33c663e172
>
> NB: I strongly recommend installing SP3 and any post-SP3 critical security
> updates prior to installing IE7.
>

> Janetb wrote:
> > Thank you all for your input, but I would appreciate getting back to my
> > original post....:-)....
> >
> > My system is 20 GB with 256 MB of RAM. When I move a few months down the
> > line, I will get an entire new system. I am presently looking for interim
> > solutions. I would like to safely upgrade to IE7. I believe my original
> > post
> > has clearly outlined the situation, so please do not suggest actions which
> > will be perfectly suitable down the line but not just now (for me).

Janetb

Re: Upgrading IE6...?
One quick question: OE used to be a component of IE and I believe
uninstalling IE removed OE (?). When I upgrade to 7, will my OE remain
unaffected? This is what really concerned me about upgrading, as I have a lot
of OE settings (e.g.,rules), not to mention, years of correspondence.....

J.
Gordon

Re: Upgrading IE6...?

"Janetb" <Janetb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsDCFA58B-B2BF-4739-B522-63BF47A7F86A@microsoft.com...
> One quick question: OE used to be a component of IE and I believe
> uninstalling IE removed OE (?).

Uninstalling (presumably) IE7 does not uninstall OE...

> When I upgrade to 7, will my OE remain
> unaffected? This is what really concerned me about upgrading, as I have a
> lot
> of OE settings (e.g.,rules), not to mention, years of correspondence.....

No. Windows 7 comes with NO mail client at all.
I suggest you download and install Windows Live Mail and transfer all your
mail and settings to that so that you can continue with Windows 7...

Janetb

Re: Upgrading IE6...?
??????? Hmmmm. I'm not uninstalling IE7 and I don't have Windows 7...:-)....

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Janetb" <Janetb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsDCFA58B-B2BF-4739-B522-63BF47A7F86A@microsoft.com...
> > One quick question: OE used to be a component of IE and I believe
> > uninstalling IE removed OE (?).

> Uninstalling (presumably) IE7 does not uninstall OE...
>
> > When I upgrade to 7, will my OE remain
> > unaffected? This is what really concerned me about upgrading, as I have a
> > lot
> > of OE settings (e.g.,rules), not to mention, years of correspondence.....
> >

> No. Windows 7 comes with NO mail client at all.
> I suggest you download and install Windows Live Mail and transfer all your
> mail and settings to that so that you can continue with Windows 7...

Janetb

Re: Upgrading IE6...?
For Gordon again:

I'm upgrading from IE6 to IE7 on Windows XP PRo....

J.