IE8; Creating Link Shortcut on Desktop

denmarfl

IE8; Creating Link Shortcut on Desktop
Running Vista Home Prem; 32BIT; IE8

Has something recently changed in IE8 or Vista? I used to be able to open
MY FAVORITES, and if I wanted to create a Shortcut for that Favorite to the
site I would Right Click on the Favorite, click SEND TO....Click "Create
Short Cut On desktop". Over the past 4 to 6 weeks when I tried to do this
either nothing happened, or I would get a message Windows cannot complete the
action make sure the drive is not full (I have 400GB Free Space on HDD). I
can click on CREATE SHORTCUT when I right click on Favorite List.....than
move that Shortcut from the Favorite lists to the Desktop. But previously
when I clicked SEND TO.....Desktop....a shortcut would appear for that
favorite on my Desktop.....that no longer can be done.
Don Varnau

Re: IE8; Creating Link Shortcut on Desktop
Hi,
I don't know why this would have changed recently (I've never used that
"send to" method.) But, when you create a shortcut to a Favorite, you're
creating a shortcut to a shortcut (Internet Shortcut.)

These 3 methods work for me:
1. Copy the Favorite and paste it to the desktop
2. Click the Favorite to visit the webpage and drag (left click) the IE icon
or favicon (left side of the Address Bar) to the desktop.
3. Right-click the IE icon or favicon in the Address Bar, drag it to the
desktop and choose Create shortcuts here.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Running Vista Home Prem; 32BIT; IE8
>
> Has something recently changed in IE8 or Vista? I used to be able to open
> MY FAVORITES, and if I wanted to create a Shortcut for that Favorite to

the
> site I would Right Click on the Favorite, click SEND TO....Click "Create
> Short Cut On desktop". Over the past 4 to 6 weeks when I tried to do this
> either nothing happened, or I would get a message Windows cannot complete

the
> action make sure the drive is not full (I have 400GB Free Space on HDD).

> can click on CREATE SHORTCUT when I right click on Favorite List.....than
> move that Shortcut from the Favorite lists to the Desktop. But previously
> when I clicked SEND TO.....Desktop....a shortcut would appear for that
> favorite on my Desktop.....that no longer can be done.

Donald Anadell

Re: IE8; Creating Link Shortcut on Desktop

"denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Running Vista Home Prem; 32BIT; IE8
>
> Has something recently changed in IE8 or Vista?

The Send To: Desktop (Create Shortcut) is working perfectly well here with
IE8 and Windows XP SP3.

It's a function of the Operating System and not IE, so you might post your
questionn to a Vista Operating System newsgroup.

You might try replacing the Special Link "Desktop (create shortcut)" in your
current User Profile(SendTo Folder) with the one located in the Default
Profile(SendTo Folder) to see if it makes a difference, see the following
for instructions on how to do this in Windows Vista:

http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> I used to be able to open
> MY FAVORITES, and if I wanted to create a Shortcut for that Favorite to
> the
> site I would Right Click on the Favorite, click SEND TO....Click "Create
> Short Cut On desktop". Over the past 4 to 6 weeks when I tried to do this
> either nothing happened, or I would get a message Windows cannot complete
> the
> action make sure the drive is not full (I have 400GB Free Space on HDD).
> can click on CREATE SHORTCUT when I right click on Favorite List.....than
> move that Shortcut from the Favorite lists to the Desktop. But previously
> when I clicked SEND TO.....Desktop....a shortcut would appear for that
> favorite on my Desktop.....that no longer can be done.

denmarfl

Re: IE8; Creating Link Shortcut on Desktop
Thanks; I have also wondered why sometimes when you save a Link as a
Bookmark, and or, shprtcut on the Desktop, sometimes the Icon takes on the
sites symbol, other times it simply appears as the "e" Icon.......

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> I don't know why this would have changed recently (I've never used that
> "send to" method.) But, when you create a shortcut to a Favorite, you're
> creating a shortcut to a shortcut (Internet Shortcut.)
>
> These 3 methods work for me:
> 1. Copy the Favorite and paste it to the desktop
> 2. Click the Favorite to visit the webpage and drag (left click) the IE icon
> or favicon (left side of the Address Bar) to the desktop.
> 3. Right-click the IE icon or favicon in the Address Bar, drag it to the
> desktop and choose Create shortcuts here.
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Running Vista Home Prem; 32BIT; IE8
> >
> > Has something recently changed in IE8 or Vista? I used to be able to open
> > MY FAVORITES, and if I wanted to create a Shortcut for that Favorite to

> the
> > site I would Right Click on the Favorite, click SEND TO....Click "Create
> > Short Cut On desktop". Over the past 4 to 6 weeks when I tried to do this
> > either nothing happened, or I would get a message Windows cannot complete

> the
> > action make sure the drive is not full (I have 400GB Free Space on HDD).

> > can click on CREATE SHORTCUT when I right click on Favorite List.....than
> > move that Shortcut from the Favorite lists to the Desktop. But previously
> > when I clicked SEND TO.....Desktop....a shortcut would appear for that
> > favorite on my Desktop.....that no longer can be done.

Don Varnau

Re: IE8; Creating Link Shortcut on Desktop
Hi,
Favicons are stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder, so if you (or a
security/cleaning program) clear out the Temporary Internet Files, favicons
will disappear, but should be re-downloaded on the next visit to the site.

Not every site has a favicon.

If you know that a site has a favicon, but it isn't displaying, I would try:
(1) creating a new Internet Shortcut (Favorite)
(2) clearing the Temporary Internet Files
(3) clearing the History