Right click on IE8 icon, two browsers open, not just one

ldffly

Right click on IE8 icon, two browsers open, not just one
Since I installed IE8, most of the time, when I right click on the IE8 icon
to open the browser, I get two browsers opening instead of just one. The
time it takes to load two browsers is extreme and very often one of them
hangs up and crashes. This is very frustrating. Any suggestions as to the
source of the problem? I'm running XP sp3.

Re: Right click on IE8 icon, two browsers open, not just one
Two browsers or two tabs?

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
www.banthecheck.com

ldffly wrote:
> Since I installed IE8, most of the time, when I right click on the IE8
> icon
> to open the browser, I get two browsers opening instead of just one. The
> time it takes to load two browsers is extreme and very often one of them
> hangs up and crashes. This is very frustrating. Any suggestions as to
> the
> source of the problem? I'm running XP sp3.

Don Varnau

Re: Right click on IE8 icon, two browsers open, not just one
Hi,
Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

Part B (sort of)
Having hundreds of sites in Restricted Sites (as in Spybot's Immunize
Feature) will cause IE8 windows to open slowly. Turn off Immunize (if Spybot
is the culprit.)

You can clear out Restricted Sites with a Reset of IE Settings or download
and run DelDomans.inf from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm

Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]