IE8 installed but does not appear

undisclosed

IE8 installed but does not appear

Hi All,

I have installed IE8 twice and it is nowhere to be found after the
install is finished. The procedure finds an old version which it removes
first but afterwards - nothing. The only reason I want it installed is
to try to get Windows updates (they don't seem to work with Firefox).

I have XP Home edition SP2.

Any ideas?

--
chriswv3
Don Varnau

Re: IE8 installed but does not appear

Hi,
Go to Add or remove programs> Add/remove Windows components> put a check
by IE. OK your way out. Restart. If it's already checked, uncheck, restart,
recheck, restart.

You may also have to go into Add or remove programs> "Set program access &
defaults" and make choices regarding "Default" and "Enable access

This article will help you get the IE8 icon on your desktop:
945402- [fixit] The Internet Explorer icon is missing from your desktop:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945402
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

.."<undisclosed> wrote in message

> Hi All,
>
> I have installed IE8 twice and it is nowhere to be found after the
> install is finished. The procedure finds an old version which it removes
> first but afterwards - nothing. The only reason I want it installed is
> to try to get Windows updates (they don't seem to work with Firefox).
>
> I have XP Home edition SP2.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -
> chriswv3

Re: IE8 installed but does not appear
Why isn't SP3 installed yet?

undisclosed wrote:
> I have installed IE8 twice and it is nowhere to be found after the
> install is finished. The procedure finds an old version which it removes
> first but afterwards - nothing. The only reason I want it installed is
> to try to get Windows updates (they don't seem to work with Firefox).
>
> I have XP Home edition SP2.

undisclosed

'PA Bear [MS MVP Wrote:
> ;1579303']Why isn't SP3 installed yet?

As I mentioned I have been trying to get updates and installing IE8 was
part of the process. Can I install SP3 another (easier) way? any help
would be most appreciated. Incidentally my PC is a E-Machine and only
has 'restore' CDs.

I have carried out Dons advice and have access to IE8 now. Thanks Don.

--
chriswv3

Re: IE8 installed but does not appear
undisclosed wrote:
<paste>
>> I have installed IE8 twice and it is nowhere to be found after the
>> install is finished. The procedure finds an old version which it removes
>> first but afterwards - nothing. The only reason I want it installed is
>> to try to get Windows updates (they don't seem to work with Firefox).
>>
>> I have XP Home edition SP2.

</paste>
> PA Bear wrote:
>> Why isn't SP3 installed yet?

> As I mentioned I have been trying to get updates and installing IE8 was
> part of the process. Can I install SP3 another (easier) way? any help
> would be most appreciated. Incidentally my PC is a E-Machine and only
> has 'restore' CDs.

<snip>

Well, you may want to reconsider. See...

1. About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3

2. After 12 April 2010, your computer will NOT be offered any critical
security updates nor will Windows Update website be available until and
unless you get SP3 installed.

PS: To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you configure your
newsreader (i.e., vBulletin) to quote all of the previous message(s) in your
replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.
www.banthecheck.com

undisclosed

'PA Bear [MS MVP Wrote:
> ;1579344']undisclosed wrote:
> <paste>
> >> I have installed IE8 twice and it is nowhere to be found after the
> >> install is finished. The procedure finds an old version which it

> removes
> >> first but afterwards - nothing. The only reason I want it installed

> is
> >> to try to get Windows updates (they don't seem to work with

> Firefox).
> >>
> >> I have XP Home edition SP2.

> </paste>
> > PA Bear wrote:
> >> Why isn't SP3 installed yet?

> > As I mentioned I have been trying to get updates and installing IE8

> was
> > part of the process. Can I install SP3 another (easier) way? any help
> > would be most appreciated. Incidentally my PC is a E-Machine and only
> > has 'restore' CDs.

> <snip>
>
> Well, you may want to reconsider. See...
>
> 1. About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> 'IEBlog : IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3'
> (http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx)
>
> 2. After 12 April 2010, your computer will NOT be offered any critical
> security updates nor will Windows Update website be available until and
> unless you get SP3 installed.
>
> PS: To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you configure your
> newsreader (i.e., vBulletin) to quote all of the previous message(s) in
> your
> replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> 'www.banthecheck.com' (http://www.banthecheck.com)

I am going to uninstall IE8 and go from there, probably using the xpsp3
iso image.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with vbulletin, can you advise please?

Thanks PA Bear.

--
chriswv3

undisclosed wrote:

>>> As I mentioned I have been trying to get updates and installing IE8 was
>>> part of the process. Can I install SP3 another (easier) way? any help
>>> would be most appreciated. Incidentally my PC is a E-Machine and only
>>> has 'restore' CDs.

>> <snip>
>>
>> Well, you may want to reconsider. See...
>>
>> 1. About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> 'IEBlog : IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3'
>> (http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx)
>>
>> 2. After 12 April 2010, your computer will NOT be offered any critical
>> security updates nor will Windows Update website be available until and
>> unless you get SP3 installed.
>>
>> PS: To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you configure your
>> newsreader (i.e., vBulletin) to quote all of the previous message(s) in
>> your
>> replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.

> I am going to uninstall IE8 and go from there, probably using the xpsp3
> iso image.
>
> Unfortunately, I am not familiar with vbulletin, can you advise please?

Per your messages' headers, you're posting here via vBulletin: