Re: IE8 install seemed to work but cannot access any web sites

Re: IE8 install seemed to work but cannot access any web sites
[Crosspost to IE General.]

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to any
MS newsgroup.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
www.banthecheck.com

dsm999 wrote:
> I made the mistake of installing IE8 as part of windows updates. The
> installation appeared to succeed, the log file did not show any failures.
> But when I open the browser it cannot access any websites -- for a while
> it
> says connecting then it says that it says Internet Explorer cannot display
> the webpage. I know my internet connection is working because firefox
> does
> fine. So I tried uninstalling IE8, but now the same problem occurs with
> IE7
> (though it was fine before I upgraded to IE8). I ran sfc /scannow with no
> errors.
>
> I use windows XP.

dsm999

Re: IE8 install seemed to work but cannot access any web sites
PA Bear -- Thanks for your reply. Note my responses below.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to IE General.]
>
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to any
> MS newsgroup.

WinXP SP2

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

Yes -- same problem.

Yes -- same problem.

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

Yes, same problem.

> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?

AVG Anti-Virus
Zone Alarm firewall
Both were running the first time I installed IE8 but I turned them off for a
second installation.

> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

YES. I formerly had Norton Anti-Virus.

> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

I don't remember how to find available Restore Points.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> dsm999 wrote:
> > I made the mistake of installing IE8 as part of windows updates. The
> > installation appeared to succeed, the log file did not show any failures.
> > But when I open the browser it cannot access any websites -- for a while
> > it
> > says connecting then it says that it says Internet Explorer cannot display
> > the webpage. I know my internet connection is working because firefox
> > does
> > fine. So I tried uninstalling IE8, but now the same problem occurs with
> > IE7
> > (though it was fine before I upgraded to IE8). I ran sfc /scannow with no
> > errors.
> >
> > I use windows XP.

dsm999

Re: IE8 install seemed to work but cannot access any web sites
PROBLEM SOLVED! (And I feel stupid.)

After many hours of fiddling, I saw that IE was for some reason looking for
an obsolete ISP connection while FF was going to the right one. I don't know
how that changed, but at least everything is working!

Thanks for your suggestions.

DSM

hrsudak

"dsm999" wrote:

> PROBLEM SOLVED! (And I feel stupid.)
>
> After many hours of fiddling, I saw that IE was for some reason looking for
> an obsolete ISP connection while FF was going to the right one. I don't know
> how that changed, but at least everything is working!
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> DSM
> Hi

I have an identical problem , How do you cbeck the ISP connection in IE or
FF.

MY specific details are below:

IE 7 & 8 (after I upgraded) give me the following error message for ALL
pages " Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" but all other
browsers (ffox, chrome) work perfectly.

When I dignose the problem on the error page, using Network diagnostics for
Windows XP I get the following:

Network Diagnostics for Windows XPLast diagnostic run time: 08/15/09
22:52:40 HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.

Additionally:
I am trying to work with turbotax, and it seems to be hardcoded to use only
IE browser for any request. Consequently I cant get any query since all the
urls use IE.

I am typing this in Firefox. As you see, my internet conectivity itself is
not a problem
I have followed all the diagnostic paths I could find, but most dealt with
connectivity issues, rether than IE specific.
I am runnigg windows xp sp3

The following is a dump of System Informatin
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HAL-PAVILLION
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model Pavilion dv5000 (ET807UA#ABA)
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 36 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1989 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.33, 2/24/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.31
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name HAL-PAVILLION\Hal
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 886.30 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

The following is a dump of IE status

SUMMARY
Version 8.0.6001.18702IC
Build 86001
Application Path C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
Language English (United States)
Active Printer Brother MFC-490CW Printer (Copy 1),winspool,Ne06:

Cipher Strength 128-bit
Content Advisor Disabled
IEAK Install Yes

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CONNECTIVITY

Connection Preference Never dial

LAN Settings

AutoConfigProxy wininet.dll
AutoProxyDetectMode Enabled
AutoConfigURL
Proxy Disabled
ProxyServer
ProxyOverride

BluetoothConnection

AutoProxyDetectMode Disabled
AutoConfigURL
Proxy Disabled
ProxyServer
ProxyOverride
Internet programs to use connection Not Available

Maximum Attempts 10
Wait Between Attempts 5 sec
Disconnect Idle Time 20 min
AutoDisconnect Disabled

Modem AC97 Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
Dial-Up Server PPP

Log on to Network No
Enable Software Compression Yes
Require Encrypted Password No
Require Data Encryption No

Network Protocols TCP/IP

Use Server Assigned IP Address Yes
IP Address 0.0.0.0
Use Server Assigned NameServer Yes
NameServer Addresses Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
Primary WINS: 0.0.0.0
Secondary WINS: 0.0.0.0

Use IP Header Compression Yes

[...]