IE 8 Not Working Right

Pat

IE 8 Not Working Right
All of a sudden IE 8 has been not working. It locks up, won't respond and I
can't open any webpages.

It was working just fine until recent automatic updates yesterday and the
day before. Since it apparently can't be uninstalled I don't know what to
do.

I'm using a laptop with Windows Vista 64 bit. When I tried to reinstall IE
8 I got a message that the installed version was newer.

I have resorted to Firefox but don't care for it. Is there a way to
determine what happened with IE 8 to cause it to quit working all of a
sudden?

Re: IE 8 Not Working Right
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

in the background when you installed ___?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?
www.banthecheck.com

Pat wrote:
> All of a sudden IE 8 has been not working. It locks up, won't respond and
> can't open any webpages.
>
> It was working just fine until recent automatic updates yesterday and the
> day before. Since it apparently can't be uninstalled I don't know what to
> do.
>
> I'm using a laptop with Windows Vista 64 bit. When I tried to reinstall
> IE
> 8 I got a message that the installed version was newer.
>
> I have resorted to Firefox but don't care for it. Is there a way to
> determine what happened with IE 8 to cause it to quit working all of a
> sudden?

Dale K

Re: IE 8 Not Working Right
Yes

"Pat" <patetc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> All of a sudden IE 8 has been not working. It locks up, won't respond and
> I can't open any webpages.
>
> It was working just fine until recent automatic updates yesterday and the
> day before. Since it apparently can't be uninstalled I don't know what to
> do.
>
> I'm using a laptop with Windows Vista 64 bit. When I tried to reinstall
> IE 8 I got a message that the installed version was newer.
>
> I have resorted to Firefox but don't care for it. Is there a way to
> determine what happened with IE 8 to cause it to quit working all of a
> sudden?

MHL

Re: IE 8 Not Working Right
Is this the same person? Yes, what?
--
**********
Michael

"Dale K" <dalek2@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Yes
>
> "Pat" <patetc@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> All of a sudden IE 8 has been not working. It locks up, won't respond
>> and I can't open any webpages.
>>
>> It was working just fine until recent automatic updates yesterday and the
>> day before. Since it apparently can't be uninstalled I don't know what
>> to do.
>>
>> I'm using a laptop with Windows Vista 64 bit. When I tried to reinstall
>> IE 8 I got a message that the installed version was newer.
>>
>> I have resorted to Firefox but don't care for it. Is there a way to
>> determine what happened with IE 8 to cause it to quit working all of a
>> sudden?

Pat

Re: IE 8 Not Working Right
Using Vista X64 SP2, all security and other updates are current.

Have AVG Anti-Virus 8.5 running and it is current.

No other virus applications are installed, nor is spyware as AVG has the
features to take care of these.

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> when posting to this newsgroup.

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed ___?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Pat wrote:
>> All of a sudden IE 8 has been not working. It locks up, won't respond
>> and I
>> can't open any webpages.
>>
>> It was working just fine until recent automatic updates yesterday and the
>> day before. Since it apparently can't be uninstalled I don't know what
>> do.
>>
>> I'm using a laptop with Windows Vista 64 bit. When I tried to reinstall
>> IE
>> 8 I got a message that the installed version was newer.
>>
>> I have resorted to Firefox but don't care for it. Is there a way to
>> determine what happened with IE 8 to cause it to quit working all of a
>> sudden?

Re: IE 8 Not Working Right
Pat, I asked if a Norton or McAfee application had ever been installed
(e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought the
computer)?

Has there ever been a time, even for a day or two, when no anti-virus
application was installed or your subscription had expired (e.g., before you
installed AVG)?

When did you install IE8? Was AVG running in the background when you
installed IE8?

Is AVG's Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active Surf-Shield, Security toolbar,
and/or any of the email scanning components installed?

Finally, are you absolutely certain that the only changes made to the
machine were installing Windows Updates?

IE8 can be uninstalled although I don't think doing so would correct the
problem...unless you just installed IE8 this week.
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com