IE 8 installation, acting weird

Penang

IE 8 installation, acting weird
I just install IE 8 on an old XP machine, --- using the file IE8-
WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe, --- and it's acting really weird

The machine has Firefox as the default browser, but before I install
IE 8 on it, I could still use Internet Explorer when I wanted to

All I had to do is to go to "My Computer" and type in the "http://
url.com" (or any other url) on the box on the top and then hit enter,
and IE will appear

However, that is no longer the case *AFTER* I installed IE 8

Now, when I call up "My Computer", and type in an URL on the top box
and hit enter, instead of getting Internet Explorer, Firefox is being
called up instead !!

What did I do wrong?

How to correct that mistake?

Please help !!
MHL

Re: IE 8 installation, acting weird
Make IE the Default Browser.
--
Michael

Windows 7 RC
IE 8
Windows Live Mail 2009 (latest)
Office 2007 (latest)

"Penang" <kalambong@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I just install IE 8 on an old XP machine, --- using the file IE8-
> WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe, --- and it's acting really weird
>
> The machine has Firefox as the default browser, but before I install
> IE 8 on it, I could still use Internet Explorer when I wanted to
>
> All I had to do is to go to "My Computer" and type in the "http://
> url.com" (or any other url) on the box on the top and then hit enter,
> and IE will appear
>
> However, that is no longer the case *AFTER* I installed IE 8
>
> Now, when I call up "My Computer", and type in an URL on the top box
> and hit enter, instead of getting Internet Explorer, Firefox is being
> called up instead !!
>
> What did I do wrong?
>
> How to correct that mistake?
>
> Please help !!

DL

Re: IE 8 installation, acting weird
If IE is not your default browser what other action would you expect?
You can open IE from the shortcut

"Penang" <kalambong@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I just install IE 8 on an old XP machine, --- using the file IE8-
> WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe, --- and it's acting really weird
>
> The machine has Firefox as the default browser, but before I install
> IE 8 on it, I could still use Internet Explorer when I wanted to
>
> All I had to do is to go to "My Computer" and type in the "http://
> url.com" (or any other url) on the box on the top and then hit enter,
> and IE will appear
>
> However, that is no longer the case *AFTER* I installed IE 8
>
> Now, when I call up "My Computer", and type in an URL on the top box
> and hit enter, instead of getting Internet Explorer, Firefox is being
> called up instead !!
>
> What did I do wrong?
>
> How to correct that mistake?
>
> Please help !!

chuckcar

Re: IE 8 installation, acting weird
Penang <kalambong@gmail.com> wrote in

> I just install IE 8 on an old XP machine, --- using the file IE8-
> WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe, --- and it's acting really weird
>
> The machine has Firefox as the default browser, but before I install
> IE 8 on it, I could still use Internet Explorer when I wanted to
>
> All I had to do is to go to "My Computer" and type in the "http://
> url.com" (or any other url) on the box on the top and then hit enter,
> and IE will appear
>
> However, that is no longer the case *AFTER* I installed IE 8
>
> Now, when I call up "My Computer", and type in an URL on the top box
> and hit enter, instead of getting Internet Explorer, Firefox is being
> called up instead !!
>
> What did I do wrong?
>
> How to correct that mistake?
>
> Please help !!

1. Start IE.

2. go to tools->internet options->programs.

3. put a check beside internet explorer should check to see whether it is
the default browser. Click apply and then ok.

Next time you start up IE it will ask and change it if you select yes.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Daave

Penang wrote:
> I just install IE 8 on an old XP machine, --- using the file IE8-
> WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe, --- and it's acting really weird
>
> The machine has Firefox as the default browser, but before I install
> IE 8 on it, I could still use Internet Explorer when I wanted to
>
> All I had to do is to go to "My Computer" and type in the "http://
> url.com" (or any other url) on the box on the top and then hit enter,
> and IE will appear

Why would you want to do that (even if it works)? If you want IE to
appear, simply run it!

> However, that is no longer the case *AFTER* I installed IE 8
>
> Now, when I call up "My Computer", and type in an URL on the top box
> and hit enter, instead of getting Internet Explorer, Firefox is being
> called up instead !!
>
> What did I do wrong?

I doubt you did anything wrong.

It sounds like when you installed IE8, the option to have Windows
Explorer in essence become Internet Explorer disappeared. Since I can't
see your computer, though, I can't tell you how or why. But again, why
would you want to even do that in the first place?

Do you want FF to remain your default browser? If so, good. Leave it
alone. And for those rare occasions you want IE to "appear," simply
*run* it instead of using the My Computer approach!

Penang

Re: IE 8 installation, acting weird
I can't even make IE the Default Browser

In fact, I can't even call up IE at all !!!!!!

I had been calling IE from the "My Computer" windows, now, it's NOT
even there

As soon as I type something like "http://yyy.com" into the box,
Firefox shows up !

On Aug 14, 4:19*pm, "MHL" <booyaka...@mac.com> wrote:
> Make IE the Default Browser.
> --
> Michael
>
> Windows 7 RC
> IE 8
> Windows Live Mail 2009 (latest)
> Office 2007 (latest)
>
> "Penang" <kalamb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I just install IE 8 on an old XP machine, --- using the file IE8-
> > WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe, --- and it's acting really weird

> > The machine has Firefox as the default browser, but before I install
> > IE 8 on it, I could still use Internet Explorer when I wanted to

> > All I had to do is to go to "My Computer" and type in the "http://
> > url.com" (or any other url) on the box on the top and then hit enter,
> > and IE will appear

> > However, that is no longer the case *AFTER* I installed IE 8

> > Now, when I call up "My Computer", and type in an URL on the top box
> > and hit enter, instead of getting Internet Explorer, Firefox is being
> > called up instead !!

> > What did I do wrong?

> > How to correct that mistake?

> > Please help !!

Penang

Re: IE 8 installation, acting weird
The problem is, after the upgrading to IE 8, the shortcut is GONE !!

Now I can't even call up IE !!!

On Aug 14, 4:27*pm, "DL" <notva...@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote:
> If IE is not your default browser what other action would you expect?
> You can open IE from the shortcut
>
> "Penang" <kalamb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I just install IE 8 on an old XP machine, --- using the file IE8-
> > WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe, --- and it's acting really weird

> > The machine has Firefox as the default browser, but before I install
> > IE 8 on it, I could still use Internet Explorer when I wanted to

> > All I had to do is to go to "My Computer" and type in the "http://
> > url.com" (or any other url) on the box on the top and then hit enter,
> > and IE will appear

> > However, that is no longer the case *AFTER* I installed IE 8

> > Now, when I call up "My Computer", and type in an URL on the top box
> > and hit enter, instead of getting Internet Explorer, Firefox is being
> > called up instead !!

> > What did I do wrong?

> > How to correct that mistake?

> > Please help !!

MHL

Re: IE 8 installation, acting weird
Uninstall Firefox and see what happens.
--

> I can't even make IE the Default Browser
>
> In fact, I can't even call up IE at all !!!!!!
>
> I had been calling IE from the "My Computer" windows, now, it's NOT
> even there
>
> As soon as I type something like "http://yyy.com" into the box,
> Firefox shows up !
>
> On Aug 14, 4:19 pm, "MHL" <booyaka...@mac.com> wrote:
>> Make IE the Default Browser.
>> --
>> Michael
>>
>> Windows 7 RC
>> IE 8
>> Windows Live Mail 2009 (latest)
>> Office 2007 (latest)
>>
>> "Penang" <kalamb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > I just install IE 8 on an old XP machine, --- using the file IE8-
>> > WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe, --- and it's acting really weird

>> > The machine has Firefox as the default browser, but before I install
>> > IE 8 on it, I could still use Internet Explorer when I wanted to

>> > All I had to do is to go to "My Computer" and type in the "http://
>> > url.com" (or any other url) on the box on the top and then hit enter,
>> > and IE will appear

>> > However, that is no longer the case *AFTER* I installed IE 8

>> > Now, when I call up "My Computer", and type in an URL on the top box
>> > and hit enter, instead of getting Internet Explorer, Firefox is being
>> > called up instead !!

>> > What did I do wrong?

>> > How to correct that mistake?

>> > Please help !!

Re: IE 8 installation, acting weird
[Excessive crossposting eliminated.]

What anti-virus application is installed? Was it running in the background
when you installed IE8? Were you running IE6 or IE7 before you installed
IE8?

Penang wrote:
> I just install IE 8 on an old XP machine, --- using the file IE8-
> WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe, --- and it's acting really weird
>
> The machine has Firefox as the default browser, but before I install
> IE 8 on it, I could still use Internet Explorer when I wanted to
>
> All I had to do is to go to "My Computer" and type in the "http://
> url.com" (or any other url) on the box on the top and then hit enter,
> and IE will appear
>
> However, that is no longer the case *AFTER* I installed IE 8
>
> Now, when I call up "My Computer", and type in an URL on the top box
> and hit enter, instead of getting Internet Explorer, Firefox is being
> called up instead !!
>
> What did I do wrong?
>
> How to correct that mistake?
>
> Please help !!

Fred

Re: IE 8 installation, acting weird

"Penang" <kalambong@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I just install IE 8 on an old XP machine, --- using the file IE8-
> WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe, --- and it's acting really weird
>
> The machine has Firefox as the default browser, but before I install
> IE 8 on it, I could still use Internet Explorer when I wanted to
>
> All I had to do is to go to "My Computer" and type in the "http://
> url.com" (or any other url) on the box on the top and then hit enter,
> and IE will appear

What is the box on the top of My Computer????