Improved management of IE header area

Tim Ellis

Improved management of IE header area
Increasingly just about everyone (including Microsoft !) finds it OK to keep
taking big bites out of the available browser display area by adding their
components to the top header area. Starting with the IE top bar, then
File/Edit/View/Favorites, Norton IE security, Favorites again, then the tabs,
and below the status bar. It would be easy to imagine users whose available
browser area is effectively reduced by a third !!
My suggestion is to increase the control and choice given to users to layout
the header & footer area (by that I mean EVERYTHING from and including the
top bar, menu bars, favorites, search. The lot!) - beyond simply turning
toolbars on or off. Beyond limited dragging and dropping them as currently. I
can envisage an approach that is more like: (a) identify (perhaps as a % of
the visible screen height, 5%,10%,15%,20"...) the maximum you (well, it is
your screen!) want to be used by ALL the options/bars by MS and/or others.
Then (b) present an editable area whereby users can move around the "areas"
that are wanted - and even making them scale in size (height, width, font?).

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Improved management of IE header area

"Tim Ellis" <TimEllis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9258459-9280-4D30-85EC-D33439FCD85F@microsoft.com...
> Increasingly just about everyone (including Microsoft !) finds it OK to keep
> taking big bites out of the available browser display area by adding their
> components to the top header area. Starting with the IE top bar, then
> File/Edit/View/Favorites, Norton IE security, Favorites again, then the tabs,
> and below the status bar. It would be easy to imagine users whose available
> browser area is effectively reduced by a third !!

> My suggestion is to increase the control and choice given to users to layout
> the header & footer area (by that I mean EVERYTHING from and including the
> top bar, menu bars, favorites, search. The lot!) - beyond simply turning
> toolbars on or off. Beyond limited dragging and dropping them as currently.

Press F11.

> can envisage an approach that is more like: (a) identify (perhaps as a % of
> the visible screen height, 5%,10%,15%,20"...) the maximum you (well, it is
> your screen!) want to be used by ALL the options/bars by MS and/or others.
> Then (b) present an editable area whereby users can move around the "areas"
> that are wanted - and even making them scale in size (height, width, font?).
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Leonard Grey

Re: Improved management of IE header area
Try F11.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Tim Ellis wrote:
> Increasingly just about everyone (including Microsoft !) finds it OK to keep
> taking big bites out of the available browser display area by adding their
> components to the top header area. Starting with the IE top bar, then
> File/Edit/View/Favorites, Norton IE security, Favorites again, then the tabs,
> and below the status bar. It would be easy to imagine users whose available
> browser area is effectively reduced by a third !!
> My suggestion is to increase the control and choice given to users to layout
> the header & footer area (by that I mean EVERYTHING from and including the
> top bar, menu bars, favorites, search. The lot!) - beyond simply turning
> toolbars on or off. Beyond limited dragging and dropping them as currently. I
> can envisage an approach that is more like: (a) identify (perhaps as a % of
> the visible screen height, 5%,10%,15%,20"...) the maximum you (well, it is
> your screen!) want to be used by ALL the options/bars by MS and/or others.
> Then (b) present an editable area whereby users can move around the "areas"
> that are wanted - and even making them scale in size (height, width, font?).
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Re: Improved management of IE header area
Customization in IE8:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...on-in-ie8.aspx

Customize IE8...to fit your needs
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/win...our-needs.aspx

Tip: Start by disabling all Norton Add-ons!
www.banthecheck.com

Tim Ellis wrote:
> Increasingly just about everyone (including Microsoft !) finds it OK to
> keep
> taking big bites out of the available browser display area by adding their
> components to the top header area. Starting with the IE top bar, then
> File/Edit/View/Favorites, Norton IE security, Favorites again, then the
> tabs, and below the status bar. It would be easy to imagine users whose
> available browser area is effectively reduced by a third !!
> My suggestion is to increase the control and choice given to users to
> layout
> the header & footer area (by that I mean EVERYTHING from and including the
> top bar, menu bars, favorites, search. The lot!) - beyond simply turning
> toolbars on or off. Beyond limited dragging and dropping them as
> currently.
> I can envisage an approach that is more like: (a) identify (perhaps as a %
> of the visible screen height, 5%,10%,15%,20"...) the maximum you (well, it
> is your screen!) want to be used by ALL the options/bars by MS and/or
> others. Then (b) present an editable area whereby users can move around
> the
> "areas" that are wanted - and even making them scale in size (height,
> width, font?).

skeeter

> Customization in IE8:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...on-in-ie8.aspx
>
> Customize IE8...to fit your needs
> http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/win...our-needs.aspx
>
> Tip: Start by disabling all Norton Add-ons!
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com

those are two very informative links. thanks.