RE: Certain box graphics are not displaying correctly

Tom

RE: Certain box graphics are not displaying correctly
I am having similar problems in Facebook with IE v8.0. Especially when I
want to move and reposition items in my Boxes tab. As soon as I select a box
to move/reposition, ghost images of the box appear and "all hell breaks
loose." Meaning, the I can't reposition anything and have to exit that tab.
Firefox, on the other hand, does not have this provblem. I hope somebody can
explain and/or suggest a fix to this weird and unacceptable behavior.

Sincerely,

Tom

"Achinda99" wrote:

> Its hard to explain this error, and although I've come across it multiple
> times, the best example is when browsing www.facebook.com. In IE6, facebook
> pages appeared without any problems. After using IE7 Beta 2, the boxes are
> overlapping, and its not rendering the page correctly.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

rob^_^

Re: Certain box graphics are not displaying correctly
Hi Tom,

Is "Include updated website lists from Microsoft" on the Tools>Compatibility
View Settings dialog checked.

Is "Automatically recover from rendering errors with Compatibility View" on
the Advanced tab of Internet Options checked?

Regards.

"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having similar problems in Facebook with IE v8.0. Especially when I
> want to move and reposition items in my Boxes tab. As soon as I select a
> box
> to move/reposition, ghost images of the box appear and "all hell breaks
> loose." Meaning, the I can't reposition anything and have to exit that
> tab.
> Firefox, on the other hand, does not have this provblem. I hope somebody
> can
> explain and/or suggest a fix to this weird and unacceptable behavior.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Tom
>
> "Achinda99" wrote:
>
>> Its hard to explain this error, and although I've come across it multiple
>> times, the best example is when browsing www.facebook.com. In IE6,
>> facebook
>> pages appeared without any problems. After using IE7 Beta 2, the boxes
>> are
>> overlapping, and its not rendering the page correctly.
>>
>> ----------------
>> "I
>> this
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

Tom

Re: Certain box graphics are not displaying correctly
Yes. "Include updated website lists from Microsoft" is checked in
Compatibility View Settings, and "Automatically recover from rendering errors
with Compatibility View" is checked in Advanced Settings. The
moving/repositioning of Facebook boxes/posts still occurs, consistently.

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Is "Include updated website lists from Microsoft" on the Tools>Compatibility
> View Settings dialog checked.

YES!

> Is "Automatically recover from rendering errors with Compatibility View" on
> the Advanced tab of Internet Options checked?

YES!

> "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am having similar problems in Facebook with IE v8.0. Especially when I
> > want to move and reposition items in my Boxes tab. As soon as I select a
> > box
> > to move/reposition, ghost images of the box appear and "all hell breaks
> > loose." Meaning, the I can't reposition anything and have to exit that
> > tab.
> > Firefox, on the other hand, does not have this provblem. I hope somebody
> > can
> > explain and/or suggest a fix to this weird and unacceptable behavior.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > "Achinda99" wrote:
> >
> >> Its hard to explain this error, and although I've come across it multiple
> >> times, the best example is when browsing www.facebook.com. In IE6,
> >> facebook
> >> pages appeared without any problems. After using IE7 Beta 2, the boxes
> >> are
> >> overlapping, and its not rendering the page correctly.
> >>
> >> ----------------
> >> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> >> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
> >> "I
> >> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
> >> this
> >> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
> >> then
> >> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

Tom

Re: Certain box graphics are not displaying correctly
Dear Rob,

Re: Problem of moving/repositioning Facebook boxes/posts using IE v8.0

Just in case it might heip, here is a jpg of the Compatibility View settings
for the Facebook page in question:

http://www.geocities.com/wrtree/compatview.jpg

Sincerely,

Tom

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Is "Include updated website lists from Microsoft" on the Tools>Compatibility
> View Settings dialog checked.
>
> Is "Automatically recover from rendering errors with Compatibility View" on
> the Advanced tab of Internet Options checked?
>
> Regards.
>
> "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am having similar problems in Facebook with IE v8.0. Especially when I
> > want to move and reposition items in my Boxes tab. As soon as I select a
> > box
> > to move/reposition, ghost images of the box appear and "all hell breaks
> > loose." Meaning, the I can't reposition anything and have to exit that
> > tab.
> > Firefox, on the other hand, does not have this provblem. I hope somebody
> > can
> > explain and/or suggest a fix to this weird and unacceptable behavior.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > "Achinda99" wrote:
> >
> >> Its hard to explain this error, and although I've come across it multiple
> >> times, the best example is when browsing www.facebook.com. In IE6,
> >> facebook
> >> pages appeared without any problems. After using IE7 Beta 2, the boxes
> >> are
> >> overlapping, and its not rendering the page correctly.
> >>
> >> ----------------
> >> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> >> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
> >> "I
> >> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
> >> this
> >> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
> >> then
> >> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

rob^_^

Re: Certain box graphics are not displaying correctly
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback and pic. Unfortunately I cannot offer you any other
advice. I visited facebook my self and had a look around to try an reproduce
the problem, but did not have any problems except for script errors on most
pages.

I validated some of their pages (Developer tool>Validate menu) and there are
a lot of markup errors that they(facebook developers) have not fixed yet
(and probably won't). Facebook is on the MS Compatibility list because of
this and this is why I asked you to check those settings.

Apart from that if you are using a Facebook Addon (either from Facebook or
from a third party) they may be the cause of your problems (I have tested
on search bar, which was written in .net, and it did not agree with IE8). A
cursory visit in no-Addons mode will test this.