IE8 Keeps showing 'Welcome' message

Okotoks Camper

IE8 Keeps showing 'Welcome' message
I fill out the forms by selecting radio buttons, but it comes back next time
I open IE8 again.

Windows XP Pro 32 bit (Media Edition)
HP ZD8225CA Notebook
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: IE8 Keeps showing 'Welcome' message
Okotoks Camper wrote:

> I fill out the forms by selecting radio buttons, but it comes back next
> time I open IE8 again.
>
> Windows XP Pro 32 bit (Media Edition)
> HP ZD8225CA Notebook

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/di...nce-all-users/
"How to Disable IE8 Welcome Screen (Tour and RunOnce) for All Users".

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

KingMe

Re: IE8 Keeps showing 'Welcome' message
Come on, you mean to tell me that one has to fool around with the Registry to
eliminate the Welcome windows or suffer forever?
--
HP Pavilion Elite m9040n 2.4gh 3gb mem 640gb hard drive, dvd lightscribe
technology burner, Vista Home Premium, Office 2007

"Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" wrote:

> Okotoks Camper wrote:
>
> > I fill out the forms by selecting radio buttons, but it comes back next
> > time I open IE8 again.
> >
> > Windows XP Pro 32 bit (Media Edition)
> > HP ZD8225CA Notebook

> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/di...nce-all-users/
> "How to Disable IE8 Welcome Screen (Tour and RunOnce) for All Users".
>
> --
> Vincenzo Di Russo
> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
> My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

Re: IE8 Keeps showing 'Welcome' message
Not if you install IE properly, no!

KingMe wrote:
> Come on, you mean to tell me that one has to fool around with the Registry
> to eliminate the Welcome windows or suffer forever?
>
>> Okotoks Camper wrote:
>>
>>> I fill out the forms by selecting radio buttons, but it comes back next
>>> time I open IE8 again.
>>>
>>> Windows XP Pro 32 bit (Media Edition)
>>> HP ZD8225CA Notebook

>> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/di...nce-all-users/
>> "How to Disable IE8 Welcome Screen (Tour and RunOnce) for All Users".
>>
>> --
>> Vincenzo Di Russo
>> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
>> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
>> My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
>> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

KingMe

Re: IE8 Keeps showing 'Welcome' message
and what is the proper way may i ask? i downloaded from MS Update, i ok to
install it, i am an administrator, it didnt ask anything related to welcome
screen, I do not need instructions to set it up, and told me installed
correctly.
And what is the proper way then?
Am I supposed to uninstalled (it will default to IE7, and then download it
again and install again?
--

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Not if you install IE properly, no!
>
> KingMe wrote:
> > Come on, you mean to tell me that one has to fool around with the Registry
> > to eliminate the Welcome windows or suffer forever?

> >> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/di...nce-all-users/
> >> "How to Disable IE8 Welcome Screen (Tour and RunOnce) for All Users".
> >>
> >> --
> >> Vincenzo Di Russo
> >> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
> >> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
> >> My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
> >> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

Re: IE8 Keeps showing 'Welcome' message
Since you ask, my personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

WinXP NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're
prepared to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

Vista NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're
prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select "Run as
Administator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

WinXP NB=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any
Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB972260). If a Root Certificates
update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
advantage of IE's enhanced security.

VISTA NB=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in
at Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
decide install it.

KingMe wrote:

> Come on, you mean to tell me that one has to fool around with the
> Registry to eliminate the Welcome windows or suffer forever?

What my colleague MVP Robear said.

--
Vincenzo Di Russo