IE8 How To Dnload New Apps to Desktop

Craig S

IE8 How To Dnload New Apps to Desktop
Vista Hm Prem/IE8....Helping friend (barely) with New Computer setup & Not
familiar with IE re: Cannot FIND an AV App I Dnloaded w/IE8.

How do you find where it went and how to make it go (always) to Desktop for
execution-Install? Read maybe a Reg Edit required but looking at Reg gave me
no hint of where it goes now. Many Thanks!!
VanguardLH

Re: IE8 How To Dnload New Apps to Desktop
Craig S wrote:

> Vista Hm Prem/IE8....Helping friend (barely) with New Computer setup & Not
> familiar with IE re: Cannot FIND an AV App I Dnloaded w/IE8.
>
> How do you find where it went and how to make it go (always) to Desktop for
> execution-Install? Read maybe a Reg Edit required but looking at Reg gave me
> no hint of where it goes now. Many Thanks!!

Start (but abort) another file download to notice this time where is the
default folder of where to store the file. Otherwise, go back to the
site where you downloaded their file, note the filename, and do a file
search on your host for that filename.
Craig S

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Craig S wrote:
>
> > Vista Hm Prem/IE8....Helping friend (barely) with New Computer setup & Not
> > familiar with IE re: Cannot FIND an AV App I Dnloaded w/IE8.
> >
> > How do you find where it went and how to make it go (always) to Desktop for
> > execution-Install? Read maybe a Reg Edit required but looking at Reg gave me
> > no hint of where it goes now. Many Thanks!!

> Start (but abort) another file download to notice this time where is the
> default folder of where to store the file. Otherwise, go back to the
> site where you downloaded their file, note the filename, and do a file
> search on your host for that filename.

Thanks, I'll try another download. I think I saved a CNET site for the AVG
and I really don't recall seeing anything to help - which is why I started
Googling to no avail.

I'll look again or find another source that does what you suggest, OR just
install Firefox and Select Desktop from drop-down menu.

Craig S wrote:
>>> Vista Hm Prem/IE8....Helping friend (barely) with New Computer setup &
>>> Not
>>> familiar with IE re: Cannot FIND an AV App I Dnloaded w/IE8.
>>>
>>> How do you find where it went and how to make it go (always) to Desktop
>>> for execution-Install? Read maybe a Reg Edit required but looking at Reg
>>> gave me no hint of where it goes now. Many Thanks!!

>> Start (but abort) another file download to notice this time where is the
>> default folder of where to store the file. Otherwise, go back to the
>> site where you downloaded their file, note the filename, and do a file
>> search on your host for that filename.
>>

> Thanks, I'll try another download. I think I saved a CNET site for the AVG
> and I really don't recall seeing anything to help - which is why I started
> Googling to no avail...

What anti-virus application is installed now?

Craig S

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> >> Start (but abort) another file download to notice this time where is the
> >> default folder of where to store the file. Otherwise, go back to the
> >> site where you downloaded their file, note the filename, and do a file
> >> search on your host for that filename.
> >>

> > Thanks, I'll try another download. I think I saved a CNET site for the AVG
> > and I really don't recall seeing anything to help - which is why I started
> > Googling to no avail...

> What anti-virus application is installed now?

Logical question, which is the problem. BB chg'd $69 for
Security-Productivity Tweak Svc and Put NO AV in the machine. Rather than
take it back to store as requested to install (ie) Norton, I suggested AVG to
get started. She got her $69 back, anyway.

Re: IE8 How To Dnload New Apps to Desktop
Craig S wrote

>>> Thanks, I'll try another download. I think I saved a CNET site for the
>>> AVG
>>> and I really don't recall seeing anything to help - which is why I
>>> started
>>> Googling to no avail...

>> What anti-virus application is installed now?

> Logical question, which is the problem. BB chg'd $69 for
> Security-Productivity Tweak Svc and Put NO AV in the machine. Rather than
> take it back to store as requested to install (ie) Norton, I suggested AVG
> to get started. She got her $69 back, anyway.

So BB charged $69 to run Windows Update? I see.

How long was the computer connected to the internet without an AV app
installed? Was a previously used USB key inserted before an AV app was
installed?

Is it a Vista x64 box?

Craig S

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Craig S wrote

> >> What anti-virus application is installed now?

> > Logical question, which is the problem. BB chg'd $69 for
> > Security-Productivity Tweak Svc and Put NO AV in the machine. Rather than
> > take it back to store as requested to install (ie) Norton, I suggested AVG
> > to get started. She got her $69 back, anyway.

> So BB charged $69 to run Windows Update? I see.
>
> How long was the computer connected to the internet without an AV app
> installed? Was a previously used USB key inserted before an AV app was
> installed?
>
> Is it a Vista x64 box?
>
> Think my 1st Reply attempt failed, so...

Vista x64?...it's a (approx) $550 HP box (Best Buy as stated) and I hope the
cost implies an answer...I'm not sure.

Online without AV time....very few minutes....

USB Key....If you mean has a USB storage device w/ virus potential been
inserted: NO Robear, Many Thanks!

Craig S wrote:

>>> Logical question, which is the problem. BB chg'd $69 for
>>> Security-Productivity Tweak Svc and Put NO AV in the machine. Rather
>>> than
>>> take it back to store as requested to install (ie) Norton, I suggested
>>> AVG
>>> to get started. She got her $69 back, anyway.

>> So BB charged $69 to run Windows Update? I see.
>>
>> How long was the computer connected to the internet without an AV app
>> installed? Was a previously used USB key inserted before an AV app was
>> installed?
>>
>> Is it a Vista x64 box?

> Vista x64?...it's a (approx) $550 HP box (Best Buy as stated) and I hope
> the
> cost implies an answer...I'm not sure.
>
> Online without AV time....very few minutes....
>
> USB Key....If you mean has a USB storage device w/ virus potential been
> inserted: NO Robear, Many Thanks!

If it cost $550, it's not x64. Was it a brand-new computer?

How long exactly is "very few minutes"?

Was (1) any (2) previously used on any other computer inserted before (3a)
the AV app was installed, (3b) the firewall was enabled, and (3c) the
computer was fully patched at Windows Update?

Craig S

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> >> So BB charged $69 to run Windows Update? I see.
> >>
> >> How long was the computer connected to the internet without an AV app
> >> installed? Was a previously used USB key inserted before an AV app was
> >> installed?
> >>
> >> Is it a Vista x64 box?

> > Vista x64?...it's a (approx) $550 HP box (Best Buy as stated) and I hope
> > the
> > cost implies an answer...I'm not sure.
> >
> > Online without AV time....very few minutes....
> >
> > USB Key....If you mean has a USB storage device w/ virus potential been
> > inserted: NO Robear, Many Thanks!

> If it cost $550, it's not x64. Was it a brand-new computer?
>
> How long exactly is "very few minutes"?
>
> Was (1) any (2) previously used on any other computer inserted before (3a)
> the AV app was installed, (3b) the firewall was enabled, and (3c) the
> computer was fully patched at Windows Update?

Here's where we are......
> On this brand new HP desktop with Win Firewall/Defender "ON" I ran MS Update immediately after giving up on finding where IE8 downloaded the AVG Install App - we got offline after that but actual minutes guess would be 10 min total;

No USB storage device has been on the computer;
Today I Finally had the Save/Browse window in IE8 show so I could steer
Firefox to the Desktop & Installed FF 3.5.2 as Default -
Installed AVG AV Free and ran an "Updated" Scan with no issues;
Installed MalwareBytes Free and ran with no issues.
Plan to add SuperAntiSpyware Free next visit.

I think we've settled in minus any suggestions you offer. Thanks again!