Protected by copyright

cranheim

Protected by copyright
I am using IE 6 on my WindowsXP Home Edition PC. While browsing the internet
location www.deadbeatwatch.com, I chose a link that caused a message from IE
saying: o you want to allow this page to paste information from your
clipboard? (Yes or No). It will keep asking this question if I answer either
way. Finally, after may tries, it will come up with another message from IE
saying: "The contents of this site are protected by copyright". It just will
not let me open the site from my XP machine. I also have another PC running
windows98SE with IE6. I have no problem opening the site from that PC. My
Daughter is running Windows XP and can open the site without a problem. I
did find a tip saying for Windows 98, I have to double click on a file
named "license.txt in the directory where Internet explorer is installed.
The tip also says for windows XP, "see windows help for more information
about the EULA". (End User License Agreement). I cannot fine where this file
is located in Windows XP in order to execute it. Any suggestions? Charles
Ranheim

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Protected by copyright

"cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message news:uB8IHQ7GKHA.4024@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I am using IE 6 on my WindowsXP Home Edition PC.

That may not be sufficiently precise version information
to understand your observations.

> While browsing the internet
> location www.deadbeatwatch.com, I chose a link that caused a message from IE
> saying: o you want to allow this page to paste information from your
> clipboard? (Yes or No). It will keep asking this question if I answer either
> way. Finally, after may tries, it will come up with another message from IE
> saying: "The contents of this site are protected by copyright". It just will
> not let me open the site from my XP machine.

> I also have another PC running windows98SE with IE6.

So certainly not the same version of iexplore.exe
as the problem case.

> I have no problem opening the site from that PC.

Apples and oranges.

> My Daughter is running Windows XP

Version?

> and can open the site without a problem. I
> did find a tip saying for Windows 98, I have to double click on a file
> named "license.txt in the directory where Internet explorer is installed.
> The tip also says for windows XP, "see windows help for more information
> about the EULA". (End User License Agreement). I cannot fine where this file
> is located in Windows XP in order to execute it.

> Any suggestions?

If you really want your IE to run as loosely as the others apparently are
you just need to change your security settings accordingly.
E.g. in particular, change Allow Programmatic ClipBoard Access
to be as loose as it used to be. FWIW I wouldn't do that or if I did
I would be sure never to leave critical information such as passwords
etc. in the ClipBoard while online.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

cranheim

Re: Protected by copyright

> "cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
>>I am using IE 6 on my WindowsXP Home Edition PC.

> That may not be sufficiently precise version information
> to understand your observations.

>> While browsing the internet
>> location www.deadbeatwatch.com, I chose a link that caused a message from
>> IE
>> saying: o you want to allow this page to paste information from your
>> clipboard? (Yes or No). It will keep asking this question if I answer
>> either
>> way. Finally, after may tries, it will come up with another message from
>> IE
>> saying: "The contents of this site are protected by copyright". It just
>> will
>> not let me open the site from my XP machine.

>> I also have another PC running windows98SE with IE6.

> So certainly not the same version of iexplore.exe
> as the problem case.
>

>> I have no problem opening the site from that PC.

> Apples and oranges.
>

>> My Daughter is running Windows XP

> Version?
>

>> and can open the site without a problem. I
>> did find a tip saying for Windows 98, I have to double click on a file
>> named "license.txt in the directory where Internet explorer is installed.
>> The tip also says for windows XP, "see windows help for more information
>> about the EULA". (End User License Agreement). I cannot fine where this
>> file
>> is located in Windows XP in order to execute it.

>> Any suggestions?

> If you really want your IE to run as loosely as the others apparently are
> you just need to change your security settings accordingly.
> E.g. in particular, change Allow Programmatic ClipBoard Access
> to be as loose as it used to be. FWIW I wouldn't do that or if I did
> I would be sure never to leave critical information such as passwords
> etc. in the ClipBoard while online.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

I run IE v 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_SP3_gdr.090206-1234
The failing URL link I click on appears on page from
www.deadbeatwatch.com/default.asp
This URL is pointing to http://www.ct.gov/dss. The interesting part of this
is that if I go directly to http://www.ct.gov/dss, it works fine. I only get
this EULA problem when I try to access the failing site via the link on the
"deadbeatwatch" page.
What security settings might be causing this problem? Charles Ranheim

Donald Anadell

> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
>>>I am using IE 6 on my WindowsXP Home Edition PC.

>> That may not be sufficiently precise version information
>> to understand your observations.

>>> While browsing the internet
>>> location www.deadbeatwatch.com, I chose a link that caused a message
>>> from IE
>>> saying: o you want to allow this page to paste information from your
>>> clipboard? (Yes or No). It will keep asking this question if I answer
>>> either
>>> way. Finally, after may tries, it will come up with another message from
>>> IE
>>> saying: "The contents of this site are protected by copyright". It just
>>> will
>>> not let me open the site from my XP machine.

>>> I also have another PC running windows98SE with IE6.

>> So certainly not the same version of iexplore.exe
>> as the problem case.
>>

>>> I have no problem opening the site from that PC.

>> Apples and oranges.
>>

>>> My Daughter is running Windows XP

>> Version?
>>

>>> and can open the site without a problem. I
>>> did find a tip saying for Windows 98, I have to double click on a file
>>> named "license.txt in the directory where Internet explorer is
>>> installed.
>>> The tip also says for windows XP, "see windows help for more information
>>> about the EULA". (End User License Agreement). I cannot fine where this
>>> file
>>> is located in Windows XP in order to execute it.

>>> Any suggestions?

>> If you really want your IE to run as loosely as the others apparently are
>> you just need to change your security settings accordingly.
>> E.g. in particular, change Allow Programmatic ClipBoard Access
>> to be as loose as it used to be. FWIW I wouldn't do that or if I did
>> I would be sure never to leave critical information such as passwords
>> etc. in the ClipBoard while online.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

> I run IE v 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_SP3_gdr.090206-1234
> The failing URL link I click on appears on page from
> www.deadbeatwatch.com/default.asp
> This URL is pointing to http://www.ct.gov/dss. The interesting part of
> this is that if I go directly to http://www.ct.gov/dss, it works fine. I
> only get this EULA problem when I try to access the failing site via the
> link on the "deadbeatwatch" page.
> What security settings might be causing this problem? Charles Ranheim

As Robert has already pointed out, you only get prompted if you have "Allow
paste operations via script" set to either "Enable" or "Prompt" in the
Internet security zone.
See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224993

Set "Allow paste operations via script" to Disable in the Internet Zone and
you won't get prompted about it:

Tools||Internet Options...||Security(tab)||Internet(zone)||Custom
Level...||Scripting

Put tick "Disable" next to "Allow paste operations via script"

Goodl luck,

Donald Anadell

cranheim

Re: Protected by copyright
My problem was caused by the Scripting option "Allow Operations via Script"
being set to Prompt. When I set it to Disable, it worked OK. When I tested
it, I added the failing site to my trusted list, then made the change. For
security reasons, I put it back to Prompt., because this was the first and
only time I ran into this problem.
Many thanks to all who responded. I appreciated it very much. Charles
Ranheim