recent webpage freezes in IE7

Jo-Anne

recent webpage freezes in IE7
My computer runs WinXP SP3, fully updated--except that I'm still using IE7.
Recently, I've run into IE freezes on websites that didn't cause problems in
the past.

One example: I get Lifehacker updates through Google Reader but sometimes go
to the Lifehacker website for more information about a particular item.
Lately, all my attempts to reach some of the webpages have ended with IE
freezing. Today one of the frozen pages was

http://lifehacker.com/5333275/five-best-video-players

If I stay on the page long enough (rather than using CTRL-ALT-DEL to get out
of IE), I receive the following Windows message: "Stop running this script?
A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it
continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive." If I click Yes to
stop running the script, IE unfreezes.

Any idea of what might be the problem and what I can do about it?

Thanks much!

Jo-Anne

Leonard Grey

Re: recent webpage freezes in IE7
Do you have the same problem if you run Internet Explorer in 'no
add-ons' mode?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Jo-Anne wrote:
> My computer runs WinXP SP3, fully updated--except that I'm still using IE7.
> Recently, I've run into IE freezes on websites that didn't cause problems in
> the past.
>
> One example: I get Lifehacker updates through Google Reader but sometimes go
> to the Lifehacker website for more information about a particular item.
> Lately, all my attempts to reach some of the webpages have ended with IE
> freezing. Today one of the frozen pages was
>
> http://lifehacker.com/5333275/five-best-video-players
>
> If I stay on the page long enough (rather than using CTRL-ALT-DEL to get out
> of IE), I receive the following Windows message: "Stop running this script?
> A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it
> continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive." If I click Yes to
> stop running the script, IE unfreezes.
>
> Any idea of what might be the problem and what I can do about it?
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Re: recent webpage freezes in IE7
Same problem when running in "no add-ons" mode, Leonard.

Jo-Anne

> Do you have the same problem if you run Internet Explorer in 'no add-ons'
> mode?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> My computer runs WinXP SP3, fully updated--except that I'm still using
>> IE7. Recently, I've run into IE freezes on websites that didn't cause
>> problems in the past.
>>
>> One example: I get Lifehacker updates through Google Reader but sometimes
>> go to the Lifehacker website for more information about a particular
>> item. Lately, all my attempts to reach some of the webpages have ended
>> with IE freezing. Today one of the frozen pages was
>>
>> http://lifehacker.com/5333275/five-best-video-players
>>
>> If I stay on the page long enough (rather than using CTRL-ALT-DEL to get
>> out of IE), I receive the following Windows message: "Stop running this
>> script? A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly.
>> If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive." If I
>> click Yes to stop running the script, IE unfreezes.
>>
>> Any idea of what might be the problem and what I can do about it?
>>
>> Thanks much!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

Leonard Grey

Re: recent webpage freezes in IE7
Same problem when you reset Internet Explorer? (Warning: This will
disable your browser add-ons.)

"How to reset Internet Explorer settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Jo-Anne wrote:
> Same problem when running in "no add-ons" mode, Leonard.
>
> Jo-Anne

>> Do you have the same problem if you run Internet Explorer in 'no add-ons'
>> mode?
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> My computer runs WinXP SP3, fully updated--except that I'm still using
>>> IE7. Recently, I've run into IE freezes on websites that didn't cause
>>> problems in the past.
>>>
>>> One example: I get Lifehacker updates through Google Reader but sometimes
>>> go to the Lifehacker website for more information about a particular
>>> item. Lately, all my attempts to reach some of the webpages have ended
>>> with IE freezing. Today one of the frozen pages was
>>>
>>> http://lifehacker.com/5333275/five-best-video-players
>>>
>>> If I stay on the page long enough (rather than using CTRL-ALT-DEL to get
>>> out of IE), I receive the following Windows message: "Stop running this
>>> script? A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly.
>>> If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive." If I
>>> click Yes to stop running the script, IE unfreezes.
>>>
>>> Any idea of what might be the problem and what I can do about it?
>>>
>>> Thanks much!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

Rich

Re: recent webpage freezes in IE7
I have seen the same behavior also with web pages that are associated with
Lfehacker.com such as Gizmodo.com. I get the same script error as does
Jo-Anne. I have tried no add-ons, disabling add-ons, resetting "Settings"
etc. I basically reset IE7 and started it from scratch.

I don't have the lockups and freezes using Firefox 3.5.2.

The solution seems to be to just use Firefox for "problem" sites until Win 7
is shipped on or after 10/22/09. I don't see these problems using Win 7 RC.

Rich

"Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
> Same problem when running in "no add-ons" mode, Leonard.
>
> Jo-Anne

>> Do you have the same problem if you run Internet Explorer in 'no add-ons'
>> mode?
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> My computer runs WinXP SP3, fully updated--except that I'm still using
>>> IE7. Recently, I've run into IE freezes on websites that didn't cause
>>> problems in the past.
>>>
>>> One example: I get Lifehacker updates through Google Reader but
>>> sometimes go to the Lifehacker website for more information about a
>>> particular item. Lately, all my attempts to reach some of the webpages
>>> have ended with IE freezing. Today one of the frozen pages was
>>>
>>> http://lifehacker.com/5333275/five-best-video-players
>>>
>>> If I stay on the page long enough (rather than using CTRL-ALT-DEL to get
>>> out of IE), I receive the following Windows message: "Stop running this
>>> script? A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run
>>> slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive."
>>> If I click Yes to stop running the script, IE unfreezes.
>>>
>>> Any idea of what might be the problem and what I can do about it?
>>>
>>> Thanks much!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

Rich

Re: recent webpage freezes in IE7
I see the same thing after resetting IE7 also.

Rich

> Same problem when you reset Internet Explorer? (Warning: This will disable
> your browser add-ons.)
>
> "How to reset Internet Explorer settings"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> Same problem when running in "no add-ons" mode, Leonard.
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Do you have the same problem if you run Internet Explorer in 'no
>>> add-ons' mode?
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

Jo-Anne

Re: recent webpage freezes in IE7
Thank you for the latest suggestion, Leonard! Given what Rich said in his
posts, I won't try resetting IE. Maybe it's time for me to install Firefox
for this type of situation.

Thank you again!

Jo-Anne

> Same problem when you reset Internet Explorer? (Warning: This will disable
> your browser add-ons.)
>
> "How to reset Internet Explorer settings"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> Same problem when running in "no add-ons" mode, Leonard.
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Do you have the same problem if you run Internet Explorer in 'no
>>> add-ons' mode?
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

Jo-Anne

Re: recent webpage freezes in IE7
Thank you, Rich! I'll take your suggestion and download Firefox. There's
another problem website in IE that might work with it too.

Jo-Anne

"Rich" <Rich_NoSpam@ptd_nospam.net> wrote in message
>I have seen the same behavior also with web pages that are associated with
>Lfehacker.com such as Gizmodo.com. I get the same script error as does
>Jo-Anne. I have tried no add-ons, disabling add-ons, resetting "Settings"
>etc. I basically reset IE7 and started it from scratch.
>
> I don't have the lockups and freezes using Firefox 3.5.2.
>
> The solution seems to be to just use Firefox for "problem" sites until Win
> 7 is shipped on or after 10/22/09. I don't see these problems using Win 7
> RC.
>
> Rich
>

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Same problem when running in "no add-ons" mode, Leonard.
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Do you have the same problem if you run Internet Explorer in 'no
>>> add-ons' mode?
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

Rich

Re: recent webpage freezes in IE7
I have seen these freezes, hangs, etc., lately.

99% of the time Firefox doesn't do this on the same website URL. I also get
crashes of IE7 after opening several tabs in the same window.

And did I mention all the error reports that IE7 sends to Micro$oft after
crashing with the problem being a "hungapp" and a Fault Bucket address.

These problems started with the release of XP SP3 and got worse with IE7. I
went to IE7 because of the problems with IE6 and SP3. Uninstal SP3 and IE6
was happy. I had to install the M$ Hive Clean-up utility because it would
take 90-120 sec for XP to shutdown after installing SP3.

I believe that this is a plot by M$ to either a) drive us mad; b) drive us
to IE8, c)drive us to Vista, d) drive us to Win 7, or e) drive us to drink!

> Thank you, Rich! I'll take your suggestion and download Firefox. There's
> another problem website in IE that might work with it too.
>
> Jo-Anne
>

> "Rich" <Rich_NoSpam@ptd_nospam.net> wrote in message
>>I have seen the same behavior also with web pages that are associated with
>>Lfehacker.com such as Gizmodo.com. I get the same script error as does
>>Jo-Anne. I have tried no add-ons, disabling add-ons, resetting "Settings"
>>etc. I basically reset IE7 and started it from scratch.
>>
>> I don't have the lockups and freezes using Firefox 3.5.2.
>>
>> The solution seems to be to just use Firefox for "problem" sites until
>> Win 7 is shipped on or after 10/22/09. I don't see these problems using
>> Win 7 RC.
>>
>> Rich
>>

>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Same problem when running in "no add-ons" mode, Leonard.
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

Re: recent webpage freezes in IE7
WinXP SP3/IE7, fully patched here.
http://lifehacker.com/5333275/five-best-video-players took 10-15 seconds to
fully load on my end. Among the many problems on that page is the fact that
the images are cached elsewhere so (1) IE must first load that webpage and
then (2) connect to the server where the images are cached before (3) the
page will fully load. (Compare to talking to someone over the phone but via
a ham radio "patch" connection.)

I assume http://lifehacker.com opens fairly quickly as does one of the
cached images when accessed directly:
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...-09_091712.jpg

PS: Most reputable website owners and hosts very seriously frown upon using
such cached images!

<that is all>