IE8 Display problems

Ford

IE8 Display problems
We are getting a weird alignment problem in IE8 - the problem does not exist
in Mozilla, Safari, or Opera.

Any ideas?

Site: www.randolph.edu
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Display problems
Are we supposed to know what "a weird alignment problem" means?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Ford wrote:
> We are getting a weird alignment problem in IE8 - the problem does not exist
> in Mozilla, Safari, or Opera.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Site: www.randolph.edu

Ford

Re: IE8 Display problems
If you look at it - it's pretty obvious.

There is a huge blank white space at the top of the body - all text is
pushed to the bottom. I thought it was related to the banner, however, it is
on every page.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Are we supposed to know what "a weird alignment problem" means?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Ford wrote:
> > We are getting a weird alignment problem in IE8 - the problem does not exist
> > in Mozilla, Safari, or Opera.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Site: www.randolph.edu

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Display problems
I can't look at it...that's why you need to describe what you are seeing
in detail.

Neither can I guess what web page you are looking at...please reply with
the URL.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Ford wrote:
> If you look at it - it's pretty obvious.
>
> There is a huge blank white space at the top of the body - all text is
> pushed to the bottom. I thought it was related to the banner, however, it is
> on every page.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Are we supposed to know what "a weird alignment problem" means?
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Ford wrote:
>>> We are getting a weird alignment problem in IE8 - the problem does not exist
>>> in Mozilla, Safari, or Opera.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Site: www.randolph.edu

Ford

Re: IE8 Display problems
The original post has the site - www.randolph.edu

I am just looking for some insight, I don't see the point in being so brash.
If you don't want to help, then why reply? If I offended you, I apologize.

The site is www.randolph.edu -
I am not the webmaster, nor do I work for the webmaster. I am just trying to
figure out why, in IE8, when I pull it up, it has a HUGE blank area before it
displays the text at the bottom of the page. It seems to be something in the
master CSS because it does it on pages - I don't know if it is associated
with the background image, the alignment, or what - maybe something needs to
be floating that isn't - or maybe something needs to be hardcoded that is
floating. If we can get this figured out, I can pass it along to the
appriopriate people so that we stop getting complaint calls about it.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> I can't look at it...that's why you need to describe what you are seeing
> in detail.
>
> Neither can I guess what web page you are looking at...please reply with
> the URL.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Ford wrote:
> > If you look at it - it's pretty obvious.
> >
> > There is a huge blank white space at the top of the body - all text is
> > pushed to the bottom. I thought it was related to the banner, however, it is
> > on every page.
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Are we supposed to know what "a weird alignment problem" means?
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

Donald Anadell

Re: IE8 Display problems

"Ford" <Ford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> The original post has the site - www.randolph.edu
>

> I am just looking for some insight,

And what happens if you use the Compatibility View button on the site? Look
fine here in IE8 if I use the Compatibility View button to view the site.
The site needs to be updated to work with IE8.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

I don't see the point in being so brash.
> If you don't want to help, then why reply? If I offended you, I apologize.
>
> The site is www.randolph.edu -
> I am not the webmaster, nor do I work for the webmaster. I am just trying
> figure out why, in IE8, when I pull it up, it has a HUGE blank area before
> it
> displays the text at the bottom of the page. It seems to be something in
> the
> master CSS because it does it on pages - I don't know if it is associated
> with the background image, the alignment, or what - maybe something needs
> be floating that isn't - or maybe something needs to be hardcoded that is
> floating. If we can get this figured out, I can pass it along to the
> appriopriate people so that we stop getting complaint calls about it.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> I can't look at it...that's why you need to describe what you are seeing
>> in detail.
>>
>> Neither can I guess what web page you are looking at...please reply with
>> the URL.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Ford wrote:
>> > If you look at it - it's pretty obvious.
>> >
>> > There is a huge blank white space at the top of the body - all text is
>> > pushed to the bottom. I thought it was related to the banner, however,
>> > it is
>> > on every page.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Display problems
What Donald said.

Because of significant code and feature changes in Internet Explorer 8,
web pages that were developed for previous versions of Internet
Explorer, or with proprietary HTML or scripting extensions, might not
function the same way in Internet Explorer 8. Web developers need to
test their web pages to identify compatibility issues with Internet
Explorer 8, and redesign web pages that do not function properly.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Ford wrote:
> The original post has the site - www.randolph.edu
>
> I am just looking for some insight, I don't see the point in being so brash.
> If you don't want to help, then why reply? If I offended you, I apologize.
>
> The site is www.randolph.edu -
> I am not the webmaster, nor do I work for the webmaster. I am just trying to
> figure out why, in IE8, when I pull it up, it has a HUGE blank area before it
> displays the text at the bottom of the page. It seems to be something in the
> master CSS because it does it on pages - I don't know if it is associated
> with the background image, the alignment, or what - maybe something needs to
> be floating that isn't - or maybe something needs to be hardcoded that is
> floating. If we can get this figured out, I can pass it along to the
> appriopriate people so that we stop getting complaint calls about it.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> I can't look at it...that's why you need to describe what you are seeing
>> in detail.
>>
>> Neither can I guess what web page you are looking at...please reply with
>> the URL.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Ford wrote:
>>> If you look at it - it's pretty obvious.
>>>
>>> There is a huge blank white space at the top of the body - all text is
>>> pushed to the bottom. I thought it was related to the banner, however, it is
>>> on every page.

Re: IE8 Display problems
Assuming you wrote and maintain the page...

IE Developer Center
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx

Learn IE8
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740473.aspx

Or you could post here instead for more appropriate assistance:

MSDN IE Development Forums
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...iedevelopment/

www.banthecheck.com

Ford wrote:
> We are getting a weird alignment problem in IE8 - the problem does not
> exist
> in Mozilla, Safari, or Opera.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Site: www.randolph.edu

Ronald Fong

Re: IE8 Display problems
I totally understand the agony Ford.
I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you.

I have also re-designed my webpage a couple of times (though it completely
rendered perfectly in all other browsers) just to fit Internet Explorer.
I am so frustrated by the fact that everytime a new IE comes out, alignments
go haywire only in that new version of IE but not any of the other browsers.

What's going on?
I have a problem posted below too, it's got to do with the horizontal
alignment of the navigation bar. I'm waiting for some help to come by..
without having to redesign my entire website.. Again.