Defined table width using CSS ignored in IE8

Ronald Fong

Defined table width using CSS ignored in IE8
Hello,

I define the widths of all my tables in my website using CSS.
There are gaps in the horizontal navigation bar and the sidebar's search
element.
I noticed similar problems in some professional websites too.

Everything renders perfectly in IE7, Firefox 3.0, Firefox 3.5, Safari 3.0,
Safari 4.0 and Chrome but not IE8 beta 1, beta 2 and even the release.

My website is: http://www.ronald-fong.com/blog/
The stylesheet is at: http://www.ronald-fong.com/css_style.css

Can anyone please advise me? Thank you

Websites that don't rely on tables are not affected though..

Re: Defined table width using CSS ignored in IE8
IE Developer Center
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx

Learn IE8
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740473.aspx

Or you could post here instead:

MSDN IE Development Forums
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...iedevelopment/
www.banthecheck.com

Ronald Fong wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I define the widths of all my tables in my website using CSS.
> There are gaps in the horizontal navigation bar and the sidebar's search
> element.
> I noticed similar problems in some professional websites too.
>
> Everything renders perfectly in IE7, Firefox 3.0, Firefox 3.5, Safari 3.0,
> Safari 4.0 and Chrome but not IE8 beta 1, beta 2 and even the release.
>
> My website is: http://www.ronald-fong.com/blog/
> The stylesheet is at: http://www.ronald-fong.com/css_style.css
>
> Can anyone please advise me? Thank you
>
> Websites that don't rely on tables are not affected though..

Ronald Fong

RE: Defined table width using CSS ignored in IE8
This problem is really annoying.
It is really frustating to see a page work in every browser except IE8.
Can somebody please help?

C A Upsdell

Ronald Fong wrote:
> This problem is really annoying.
> It is really frustating to see a page work in every browser except IE8.
> Can somebody please help?

It would be helpful if your page would actually load, so that we can
look at it. When trying to access the page you cited, NOTHING appeared
even after a wait of several minutes.

Ronald Fong

Re: Defined table width using CSS ignored in IE8
Hello! Cool!

Thank you so much for replying!
At least now I know I can get some help here.
I have just triple-checked using 2 computers and the links are actually
working.

http://www.ronald-fong.com/blog
Or
http://www.ronald-fong.com/blog/index.html
Or
http://blog.ronald-fong.com (this is just a subdomain dns redirect, worth a
try?)

let me know if it still doesn't work, because I'm eager to solve the problem.
Thanks!!

"C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell"@nospam@upsdel" wrote:

> Ronald Fong wrote:
> > This problem is really annoying.
> > It is really frustating to see a page work in every browser except IE8.
> > Can somebody please help?

> It would be helpful if your page would actually load, so that we can
> look at it. When trying to access the page you cited, NOTHING appeared
> even after a wait of several minutes.

Re: Defined table width using CSS ignored in IE8
You'll find more appropriate assistance here:

Ronald Fong wrote:
> This problem is really annoying.
> It is really frustating to see a page work in every browser except IE8.
> Can somebody please help?

C A Upsdell

Ronald Fong wrote:
> Hello! Cool!
>
> Thank you so much for replying!
> At least now I know I can get some help here.
> I have just triple-checked using 2 computers and the links are actually
> working.
>
> http://www.ronald-fong.com/blog
> Or
> http://www.ronald-fong.com/blog/index.html
> Or
> http://blog.ronald-fong.com (this is just a subdomain dns redirect, worth a
> try?)
>
> let me know if it still doesn't work, because I'm eager to solve the problem.
> Thanks!!

Step one is always to make sure that the code is valid. You have 255
HTML validation errors, and 11 CSS validation errors. Many of the
errors may be harmless, but some may not. You don't have a hope of
making pages cross-browser compatible unless you first strive to make
valid code.

There is also a JavaScript error, which you can see using Firefox, using
its Error Console. The Error Console also points up some of the CSS errors.

VanguardLH

Ronald Fong wrote:

> http://www.ronald-fong.com/blog

nslookup www.ronald-fong.com
returns
203.211.134.88 (Qala/Johannes Lie, Signapore)

tracert 203.211.134.88
gets me all the way to that host

So I can get there okay through a route in Internet. The web page
loaded. I'm no HTML expert (which this newsgroup is not about and why
other groups were suggested to you) but I noticed your <table> doesn't
specify the cellspacing and cellpadding attributes. The table uses the
"layout" class from your .css file which has:

table.layout {
width: 900px;
}
td {
border: 0px;
padding: 0px;
}

Does the padding attribute in CSS take care of both the cellspacing and
cellpadding attributes?
Ronald Fong

Re: Defined table width using CSS ignored in IE8
Hi PA Bear,

THanks for pointing me the right direction, twice. I have already posted my
question there. I got no response.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You'll find more appropriate assistance here:
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...iedevelopment/
>

> Ronald Fong wrote:
> > This problem is really annoying.
> > It is really frustating to see a page work in every browser except IE8.
> > Can somebody please help?

Ronald Fong

Re: Defined table width using CSS ignored in IE8
Hello VanguardLH

I see, thanks for the input.

Now there's a new problem for me that my website is actually not accessible
easily from all parts of the world? Hmm.. that is worrying.. What could have
happened? I didn't understand how you traced the host and how that helps to
load the page for you..

Anyway, I understand that this newsgroup may not be the most appropriate and
I have followed to the other groups suggested to me (Thanks PA Bear) and
posted the same problem there and I didn't get any response till now.

I'm not sure if the CSS padding attribute takes care of it or if it is
really the problem. If it is really the problem, it seems to take care of it
in all other browsers except IE8.

I also just tested if I defined using the html table cellpadding and
cellspacing attributes and still the problems persists.