Links won't open

Rj

Links won't open
Today links no longer open. Pop-up blocker turned off. Windows Vista Home
Premium. IE 8. Norton Internet Security 2009.

What did I do now?
--
Rj

Don Varnau

Re: Links won't open
Hi,
If you have Automatic Updates (Microsoft) enabled, an update for IE was
probably installed today (it's patch Tuesday) You probably need to configure
a third-party firewall (NIS 2009) to allow Internet Explorer to access the
internet. Updates for IE can make IE appear to be a new program to a
software firewall. Some firewalls will recognize that Internet Explorer is a
new program and will ask if it should be allowed access to the internet-
some (Norton) won't ask.

If reconfiguring NIS to allow IE access to the web doesn't work, uninstall
and reinstall NIS. Run the removal tool from
Norton products often don't uninstall cleanly through the normal uninstall
methods.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Today links no longer open. Pop-up blocker turned off. Windows Vista Home
> Premium. IE 8. Norton Internet Security 2009.
>
> What did I do now?
> -
> Rj

Rj

Re: Links won't open
Thank you. Short of uninstalling IS9, I configured Smart Firewall to allow
IE, and even turned off Smart Firewall. IE pop-up blocker is off. Still no
links. Nothing has worked. I have yet to uninstall and reinstall Norton; the
horror, the horror.
--
Rj

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> If you have Automatic Updates (Microsoft) enabled, an update for IE was
> probably installed today (it's patch Tuesday) You probably need to configure
> a third-party firewall (NIS 2009) to allow Internet Explorer to access the
> internet. Updates for IE can make IE appear to be a new program to a
> software firewall. Some firewalls will recognize that Internet Explorer is a
> new program and will ask if it should be allowed access to the internet-
> some (Norton) won't ask.
>
> If reconfiguring NIS to allow IE access to the web doesn't work, uninstall
> and reinstall NIS. Run the removal tool from
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
> Norton products often don't uninstall cleanly through the normal uninstall
> methods.
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Today links no longer open. Pop-up blocker turned off. Windows Vista Home
> > Premium. IE 8. Norton Internet Security 2009.
> >
> > What did I do now?
> > -
> > Rj

Rj

Re: Links won't open
Thank you, Don. I bit the bullet and un- and reinstalled NIS 2009 with the
excellent help from a Norton technician. This however, did not fix my link
problem.

A small message appears on the IE page on the left side of the status bar
"error on page" when I try to open a link. Also, a small shield appears on
the status bar that says "a pop-up was not blocked" when I mouse over it.

Any other suggestions? I have an IE 8 install on a CD. (Another task I
dread.)
--
Rj

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> If you have Automatic Updates (Microsoft) enabled, an update for IE was
> probably installed today (it's patch Tuesday) You probably need to configure
> a third-party firewall (NIS 2009) to allow Internet Explorer to access the
> internet. Updates for IE can make IE appear to be a new program to a
> software firewall. Some firewalls will recognize that Internet Explorer is a
> new program and will ask if it should be allowed access to the internet-
> some (Norton) won't ask.
>
> If reconfiguring NIS to allow IE access to the web doesn't work, uninstall
> and reinstall NIS. Run the removal tool from
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
> Norton products often don't uninstall cleanly through the normal uninstall
> methods.
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Today links no longer open. Pop-up blocker turned off. Windows Vista Home
> > Premium. IE 8. Norton Internet Security 2009.
> >
> > What did I do now?
> > -
> > Rj

Don Varnau

Re: Links won't open
Hi,
1. Verify that IE8 is the default browser- Control panel> Default programs>
etc.

2. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

3. Uninstall (with the removal tool) then reinstall NIS2009.

> Thank you. Short of uninstalling IS9, I configured Smart Firewall to allow
> IE, and even turned off Smart Firewall. IE pop-up blocker is off. Still no
> links. Nothing has worked. I have yet to uninstall and reinstall Norton;

the
> horror, the horror.
> - -
> Rj

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > If you have Automatic Updates (Microsoft) enabled, an update for IE was
> > probably installed today (it's patch Tuesday) You probably need to

configure
> > a third-party firewall (NIS 2009) to allow Internet Explorer to access

the
> > internet. Updates for IE can make IE appear to be a new program to a
> > software firewall. Some firewalls will recognize that Internet Explorer

is a
> > new program and will ask if it should be allowed access to the internet-
> > some (Norton) won't ask.
> >
> > If reconfiguring NIS to allow IE access to the web doesn't work,

uninstall
> > and reinstall NIS. Run the removal tool from

> > Norton products often don't uninstall cleanly through the normal

uninstall
> > methods.

> > "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Today links no longer open. Pop-up blocker turned off. Windows Vista

> > > Premium. IE 8. Norton Internet Security 2009.
> > >
> > > What did I do now?
> > > -
> > > Rj

Rj

Re: Links won't open
IE8 is the default browser. I have run it with no add ons.I I have deleted
all history, passwords, etc. I reset security to default. I have reset IE8.
I uninstalled and reinstalled NIS2009. Nothing yet.

Links will not open.
--
Rj

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> 1. Verify that IE8 is the default browser- Control panel> Default programs>
> etc.
>
> 2. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
> through this article:
> 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
>
> Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
> data:
> IE PassView- NirSoft:
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html
>
> What a reset of IE settings will do:
> Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx
>
> 3. Uninstall (with the removal tool) then reinstall NIS2009.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you. Short of uninstalling IS9, I configured Smart Firewall to allow
> > IE, and even turned off Smart Firewall. IE pop-up blocker is off. Still no
> > links. Nothing has worked. I have yet to uninstall and reinstall Norton;

> the
> > horror, the horror.
> > - -
> > Rj

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > If you have Automatic Updates (Microsoft) enabled, an update for IE was
> > > probably installed today (it's patch Tuesday) You probably need to

> configure
> > > a third-party firewall (NIS 2009) to allow Internet Explorer to access

> the
> > > internet. Updates for IE can make IE appear to be a new program to a
> > > software firewall. Some firewalls will recognize that Internet Explorer

> is a
> > > new program and will ask if it should be allowed access to the internet-
> > > some (Norton) won't ask.
> > >
> > > If reconfiguring NIS to allow IE access to the web doesn't work,

> uninstall
> > > and reinstall NIS. Run the removal tool from
> > >

> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
> > > Norton products often don't uninstall cleanly through the normal

> uninstall
> > > methods.

WJ

Re: Links won't open
On Aug 17, 9:59*pm, Rj <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> IE8 is the default browser. I have run it with no add ons.I I have deleted
> all history, passwords, etc. I reset security to default. I have reset IE8. *
> I uninstalled and reinstalled NIS2009. Nothing yet.
>
> Links will not open.
> --
> Rj
>

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 1. Verify that IE8 is the default browser- Control panel> Default programs>
> > etc.

> > 2. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> > passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
> > through this article:
> > 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

> > Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
> > data:
> > IE PassView- NirSoft:
> >http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

> > What a reset of IE settings will do:
> > Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
> >http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...e3b46-2460-459...

> > 3. Uninstall (with the removal tool) then reinstall NIS2009.

> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]

> > "Rj" <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thank you. Short of uninstalling IS9, I configured Smart Firewall to allow
> > > IE, and even turned off Smart Firewall. IE pop-up blocker is off. Still no
> > > links. Nothing has worked. I have yet to uninstall and *reinstall Norton;

> > the
> > > horror, the horror.
> > > - -
> > > Rj

> > configure

> > the

> > is a

> > uninstall

> >http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...d/200503310816...

> > uninstall

Try >Internet Options >Advanced>Restore Advanced settings
Worked for me.
Rj

Re: Links won't open
When I right click on a link and choose open in a new tab, a new tab opens
and displays "connecting", but it never connects.
--
Rj

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> 1. Verify that IE8 is the default browser- Control panel> Default programs>
> etc.
>
> 2. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
> through this article:
> 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
>
> Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
> data:
> IE PassView- NirSoft:
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html
>
> What a reset of IE settings will do:
> Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx
>
> 3. Uninstall (with the removal tool) then reinstall NIS2009.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you. Short of uninstalling IS9, I configured Smart Firewall to allow
> > IE, and even turned off Smart Firewall. IE pop-up blocker is off. Still no
> > links. Nothing has worked. I have yet to uninstall and reinstall Norton;

> the
> > horror, the horror.
> > - -
> > Rj

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > If you have Automatic Updates (Microsoft) enabled, an update for IE was
> > > probably installed today (it's patch Tuesday) You probably need to

> configure
> > > a third-party firewall (NIS 2009) to allow Internet Explorer to access

> the
> > > internet. Updates for IE can make IE appear to be a new program to a
> > > software firewall. Some firewalls will recognize that Internet Explorer

> is a
> > > new program and will ask if it should be allowed access to the internet-
> > > some (Norton) won't ask.
> > >
> > > If reconfiguring NIS to allow IE access to the web doesn't work,

> uninstall
> > > and reinstall NIS. Run the removal tool from
> > >

> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
> > > Norton products often don't uninstall cleanly through the normal

> uninstall
> > > methods.

Rj

Re: Links won't open
Thanks for the tip. It did not work for me.
--
Rj

"WJ" wrote:

> On Aug 17, 9:59 pm, Rj <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > IE8 is the default browser. I have run it with no add ons.I I have deleted
> > all history, passwords, etc. I reset security to default. I have reset IE8.
> > I uninstalled and reinstalled NIS2009. Nothing yet.
> >
> > Links will not open.
> > --
> > Rj
> >

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > 1. Verify that IE8 is the default browser- Control panel> Default programs>
> > > etc.

> > > 2. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> > > passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
> > > through this article:
> > > 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> > >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

> > > Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
> > > data:
> > > IE PassView- NirSoft:
> > >http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

> > > What a reset of IE settings will do:
> > > Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
> > >http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...e3b46-2460-459...

> > > 3. Uninstall (with the removal tool) then reinstall NIS2009.

> > > Don
> > > [MS MVP- IE]

> > > "Rj" <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > the

> > > configure
> > > the
> > > is a

> > > uninstall

> > >http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...d/200503310816...
> > > uninstall

> Try >Internet Options >Advanced>Restore Advanced settings
> Worked for me.

Rj

RE: Links won't open
I called Microsoft on the phone and the problem was solved in less than one
hour. MS offers free support for IE 8.
--
Rj