Mixed Content warning is popping up when there is no unsecure cont

Prefontim

Mixed Content warning is popping up when there is no unsecure cont
My company has web software that is generally run over https. At seemingly
random times, mixed content warnings will start popping up during page
served up.

As mentioned on this site:
http://www.zorked.com/security/ie-mi...nsecure-items/, IE
has some issues with knowing when to trigger the warning. I have checked all
my code against his suggestions, but I can't find any issues that should
cause this bug. Furthermore, during my testing, I could not trace this
warning down to any one request or javascript call. In other words, it was
somewhat random in what triggered it.

At this point, I consider this an IE8 bug. Afterall, it does not happen
with IE7.

Can someone with MS give me some suggestions on this?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

rob^_^

Re: Mixed Content warning is popping up when there is no unsecure cont
Hi Pre,

By any chance are you using IE8's Phishing filter.

You will have to go through MS support channels if you want to contact MSFT.
This is a public NG manned by volunteers and enthusiasts.

It should be easy to copy and paste the web addresses where this is
occurring so that we can compare it. Which security zone is this site(s) in?
There is a security zone setting that controls the display of this message
box - "Display mixed content".

IE could possibly be reading already downloaded content (favicons, cookies)
from the cache.

To view all of your Internet traffic download the Fiddler tool from
http://www.fiddlertool.com . I am not sure if IE Watch includes traffic from
third party programs.

Regards.

"Prefontim" <Prefontim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My company has web software that is generally run over https. At
> seemingly
> random times, mixed content warnings will start popping up during page
> being
> served up.
>
> As mentioned on this site:
> http://www.zorked.com/security/ie-mi...nsecure-items/,
> IE
> has some issues with knowing when to trigger the warning. I have checked
> all
> my code against his suggestions, but I can't find any issues that should
> cause this bug. Furthermore, during my testing, I could not trace this
> warning down to any one request or javascript call. In other words, it
> was
> somewhat random in what triggered it.
>
> At this point, I consider this an IE8 bug. Afterall, it does not happen
> with IE7.
>
> Can someone with MS give me some suggestions on this?
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

rob^_^

Re: Mixed Content warning is popping up when there is no unsecure cont
Are you the Author of this site?
http://www.zorked.com/security/ie-mi...nsecure-items/

It is probably up to them to contact MS (the IEBlog is a good place) and let
them know about this.

The Author has detailed specific "rules" for web developers to use when
designing their sites. I misread your original post as a Question instead of
a MS Suggestion (I am not using the web interface)

Regards.

"Prefontim" <Prefontim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My company has web software that is generally run over https. At
> seemingly
> random times, mixed content warnings will start popping up during page
> being
> served up.
>
> As mentioned on this site:
> http://www.zorked.com/security/ie-mi...nsecure-items/,
> IE
> has some issues with knowing when to trigger the warning. I have checked
> all
> my code against his suggestions, but I can't find any issues that should
> cause this bug. Furthermore, during my testing, I could not trace this
> warning down to any one request or javascript call. In other words, it
> was
> somewhat random in what triggered it.
>
> At this point, I consider this an IE8 bug. Afterall, it does not happen
> with IE7.
>
> Can someone with MS give me some suggestions on this?
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Prefontim

Re: Mixed Content warning is popping up when there is no unsecure
IE8's SmartScreen Filter is enabled for me. I turned it off to see if that
made a difference, but i am stilling getting the mixed content warnings. I
took your advice and tried out fiddler. 100% percent of my requests are
https, so I am totally sure that is not the issue. My pages are very heavy
with DOM manipulations, so I suspect IE8 has a bug that is triggering this
warning with a DOM manipulation, though as I said, i could not trace it down
to any one call.

I had thought that by calling this a 'MS suggestion', someone with MS would
look at it. Apparently, I am mistaken, so I will goto the IEBlog and post
this issue there as well. Thank you for your help so far.

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Are you the Author of this site?
> http://www.zorked.com/security/ie-mi...nsecure-items/
>
> It is probably up to them to contact MS (the IEBlog is a good place) and let
> them know about this.
>
> The Author has detailed specific "rules" for web developers to use when
> designing their sites. I misread your original post as a Question instead of
> a MS Suggestion (I am not using the web interface)
>
> Regards.
>
> "Prefontim" <Prefontim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My company has web software that is generally run over https. At
> > seemingly
> > random times, mixed content warnings will start popping up during page
> > being
> > served up.
> >
> > As mentioned on this site:
> > http://www.zorked.com/security/ie-mi...nsecure-items/,
> > IE
> > has some issues with knowing when to trigger the warning. I have checked
> > all
> > my code against his suggestions, but I can't find any issues that should
> > cause this bug. Furthermore, during my testing, I could not trace this
> > warning down to any one request or javascript call. In other words, it
> > was
> > somewhat random in what triggered it.
> >
> > At this point, I consider this an IE8 bug. Afterall, it does not happen
> > with IE7.
> >
> > Can someone with MS give me some suggestions on this?
> >
> > ----------------
> > this
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

rob^_^

Re: Mixed Content warning is popping up when there is no unsecure
Hi MSFT moderate the newsgroup, but rarely respond to questions directly.
Yes when you mark your post as a suggestion MSFT will read it, although what
action they take is weighted by the number of ratings that your post
receives.

Yes, DOM manipulation (post body_load) could alter content and introduce
insecure external content. My understanding though is that "Secure content"
is not judged by its protocol (https), but rather the IE Security zone of
the domain from where the content is sourced.