IE8 and SharePoint

SuzRMD

IE8 and SharePoint
SharePoint Folder view worked with IE7 but not with IE8 - anyone know how to
get SharePoint Folder view to work with IE8?

Thanks
rob^_^

Re: IE8 and SharePoint
Hi Suz,

Have you applied any updates to your sharepoint servers. I believe that you
have to have SP2 applied for Sharepoint server for best results with IE8
clients.

Please state your OS versions and SP levels of any software that may be
involved when you post a question, and supply as much information as
possible.

Regards.

"SuzRMD" <SuzRMD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsB225B4B-E403-4B8C-B193-A7AFA46AE63C@microsoft.com...
> SharePoint Folder view worked with IE7 but not with IE8 - anyone know how
> get SharePoint Folder view to work with IE8?
>
> Thanks

SuzRMD

Re: IE8 and SharePoint
Thanks, Rob - I have no idea whether the Sharepoint servers have any updates.
I'm using Vista.

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Suz,
>
> Have you applied any updates to your sharepoint servers. I believe that you
> have to have SP2 applied for Sharepoint server for best results with IE8
> clients.
>
> Please state your OS versions and SP levels of any software that may be
> involved when you post a question, and supply as much information as
> possible.
>
> Regards.
>
> "SuzRMD" <SuzRMD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsB225B4B-E403-4B8C-B193-A7AFA46AE63C@microsoft.com...
> > SharePoint Folder view worked with IE7 but not with IE8 - anyone know how
> > get SharePoint Folder view to work with IE8?
> >
> > Thanks

rob^_^

Re: IE8 and SharePoint
Hi Suz,

If your company has any IT support, you should be able to find out from them
if Sharepoint is up-to-date.

Apart from that, if you have problems displaying web sites in IE8, you can
add the site to IE8's Compatibility View list (Tools>Compatibility View
Settings), and ensure you have "Include updated website lists from
Microsoft" checked on the Compatibility View settings dialog and
"Automatically recover from rendering errors with Compatibility View" on the
Advanced tab of Internet Options.

> Thanks, Rob - I have no idea whether the Sharepoint servers have any
> updates.
> I'm using Vista.
>
> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
>> Hi Suz,
>>
>> Have you applied any updates to your sharepoint servers. I believe that
>> you
>> have to have SP2 applied for Sharepoint server for best results with IE8
>> clients.
>>
>> Please state your OS versions and SP levels of any software that may be
>> involved when you post a question, and supply as much information as
>> possible.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "SuzRMD" <SuzRMD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsB225B4B-E403-4B8C-B193-A7AFA46AE63C@microsoft.com...
>> > SharePoint Folder view worked with IE7 but not with IE8 - anyone know
>> > how
>> > get SharePoint Folder view to work with IE8?
>> >
>> > Thanks

60_Hertz

Re: IE8 and SharePoint
I had the same problem, things worked fine with IE7 and all of a
sudden, immediately after upgrading to IE8, I received the error
message, “Explorer View requires Internet Explorer 5.0 or greater and
Web Folders.”

Try “accessing the document library through Network Places” (kudos to
Ron Michael).

I had searched the Internet off and on for several weeks. I had tried
everything and was about to roll IE8 back down to IE7. Now I can
create folders and rename/copy/delete files. I can easily transfer
files between my computer and the server. I can also directly
manipulate large numbers of files on the server without moving
everything to my computer first. Hopefully this will work for you, too
(I am using the WIN XP PRO O/S).

If you are still not able to punch through, maybe one of the
workarounds (below, Problems using SharePoint Explorer View with IE8)
may fix your problem:
http://knowledge.byzet.com/2009/06/p...orer-view.html
60_Hertz

Re: IE8 and SharePoint
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:51:26 -0700
Subject: Re: IE8 and SharePoint
From: jgotwald

60_Hertz ...

I happened on this thread while searching for "IE8 and sharepoint"
because I have another problem that I can't get past using the
compatibility view... I am unable to modify any sharepoint pages in my
environment while using a pc with IE8 installed. I AM able to make
modifications using IE7. Reading your message above, I was unable to
ascertain what steps you took to fix your problem. Can you reiterate?
60_Hertz

Re: IE8 and SharePoint
I discovered that posts from this Google Newsgroup
[microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general] are posted on 5 other
websites, verbatim, and sometimes in different languages!

I received the previous post in an e-mail from jgotwald.

Everyone else, please be advised that I have had to ask my SharePoint
Administrator for “Developer” authority to be allowed to make simple
changes (delete files and create folders).

Without further ado, I have tested this procedure in SharePoint 2003
and 2007; here is the step-by-step breakdown requested by jgotwald:
1. Click on "My Network Places"
2. Wait a few moments for the list to populate.
3. You should see a list of all the folders you have previously
accessed on your corporation's SharePoint site.
4. You can edit the folder names to be more descriptive; these changes
are applied to your computer only and do not affect the SharePoint
server or network functionality.
5. The default names for your SharePoint folders are identical to the
folder names on the SharePoint server.
6. The next column should list the explicit website of origin.
7. The next column should list the server name, also referred to as
the portal.
8. Click on a folder name to enter.
9. When prompted, enter the same SharePoint credentials you normally
would use when using IE8. We're going to the same place but using a
different interface.
10. After the window refreshes, notice that the address bar icon has
changed to a folder with a small globe inside it. You are online!
11. This new view should list all the folders and files in the
SharePoint folder you selected.
12. If you see new files or folders that were not there when you were
using IE8, then do NOT mess with them (do not mess with the folder
labeled “Forms”).
13. Make changes (rename/copy/add/delete files and folders, etc.) to
the website as you would normally do on your computer.
14. Keep the following in mind:
a. above all, your changes are irreversible - keep backup
copies!
b. there is a lag time when you issue commands
c. you may have to hit refresh (F5) for recent changes to
appear on your screen
d. large files will still take forever to upload to the server
15. When you are done, just close the folder.
60_Hertz

Re: IE8 and SharePoint
On Oct 4, 12:04*pm, 60_Hertz <buckyschew...@live.com> wrote:
> I discovered that posts from this Google Newsgroup
> [microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general] are posted on 5 other
> websites, verbatim, and sometimes in different languages!
>
> I received the previous post in an e-mail from jgotwald.
>
> Everyone else, please be advised that I have had to ask my SharePoint
> Administrator for “Developer” authority to be allowed to make simple
> changes (delete files and create folders).
>
> Without further ado, I have tested this procedure in SharePoint 2003
> and 2007; here is the step-by-step breakdown requested by jgotwald:
> 1. * * *Click on "My Network Places"
> 2. * * *Wait a few moments for the list to populate.
> 3. * * *You should see a list of all the folders you have previously
> accessed on your corporation's SharePoint site.
> 4. * * *You can edit the folder names to be more descriptive; thesechanges
> are applied to your computer only and do not affect the SharePoint
> server or network functionality.
> 5. * * *The default names for your SharePoint folders are identicalto the
> folder names on the SharePoint server.
> 6. * * *The next column should list the explicit website of origin.
> 7. * * *The next column should list the server name, also referred to as
> the portal.
> 8. * * *Click on a folder name to enter.
> 9. * * *When prompted, enter the same SharePoint credentials you normally
> would use when using IE8. We're going to the same place but using a
> different interface.
> 10. * * After the window refreshes, notice that the address bar icon has
> changed to a folder with a small globe inside it. You are online!
> 11. * * This new view should list all the folders and files in the
> SharePoint folder you selected.
> 12. * * If you see new files or folders that were not there when you were
> using IE8, then do NOT mess with them (do not mess with the folder
> labeled “Forms”).
> 13. * * Make changes (rename/copy/add/delete files and folders, etc.)to
> the website as you would normally do on your computer.
> 14. * * Keep the following in mind:
> * * * * a. * * *above all, your changes are irreversible - keep backup
> copies!
> * * * * b. * * *there is a lag time when you issue commands
> * * * * c. * * *you may have to hit refresh (F5) for recentchanges to
> appear on your screen
> * * * * d. * * *large files will still take forever to upload to the server
> 15. * * When you are done, just close the folder.

An amendment to the previous post, step 3:
Yes, your "My Network Places" may not auto-populate with all the
folders you have previously accessed on your corporation's SharePoint
site. To fix this problem, (i) log in to the SharePoint website you
want to view, (ii) copy the web address from the address bar, (iii)
open "My Network Places," (iv) under “Network Tasks”, click on “Add a
Network Place,” (v) paste the address and delete the rightmost
characters up until the last character in your address is a forward
slash ( / ) or you will get an error; you must type in the address of
the folder the webpage is in, not the actual webpage, (vi) enter your
credentials when prompted, (vii) when the window refreshes, notice
that a folder with a small blue-green globe appears, (viii) and resume
the list or skip to step 8 (in the previous post).