IE8 Tab order

Olsson Mats

IE8 Tab order
In IE7 there was a Setting called Open new tabs next to the current tab.
In IE8 this setting is gone and MS brags about their so called smart
grouping. The problem is that this function arn't smart enough. It doesn't
seem to work if the pages comes from the same domain

With IE7 We got a tablist something like Case1, Case2, Case3 and so on and
then the user starts looking on attached files and images in Case1 we get a
list like Case1, Case1_Attachment1, Case1_attachment2, Case2,
Case2_attachment, Case3 and so on

With IE8 it will open the Cases like Case1, Case2, Case2 but when we start
to use subtabs we get into problems since IE8 now will open these as Case1,
Case2, Case3, Case1_Attachment1, Case1_attachment2, Case2, Case2_attachment.

Since the attachments doesn't have such clear names as I used in my example
and becuase it leads to a more complex working enviroment, the users has
made it clear that this is an unaceptable change in behaviour.

Therefore I need a way to get IE8 to behave like IE7 did in this matter or
an supported way to downgrade IE8 to IE7 on Windows7.

Michael H. Lewis

Re: IE8 Tab order
I may have a suggestion that will take a bit of work but also may be better.
When you want a certain grouping of tabs saved, open a new window. Open the
first site, then open the next in a new tab, then the next in a new tab etc.
Go to Favorites and Add Current Tabs To Favorites. It will save all of the
Tabs from the current window in a separate folder in Favorites name whatever
you want. You can then customize it by renaming the Favorites folder and
each tab within it to be descriptive of your flow. You can then do what you
want with that Favorite tab grouping.

Let me know if this helps or is unclear.
--
**********
Michael

"Olsson Mats" <Not@disclosed.com> wrote in message
> In IE7 there was a Setting called Open new tabs next to the current tab.
> In IE8 this setting is gone and MS brags about their so called smart
> grouping. The problem is that this function arn't smart enough. It doesn't
> seem to work if the pages comes from the same domain
>
> With IE7 We got a tablist something like Case1, Case2, Case3 and so on
> and then the user starts looking on attached files and images in Case1 we
> get a list like Case1, Case1_Attachment1, Case1_attachment2, Case2,
> Case2_attachment, Case3 and so on
>
> With IE8 it will open the Cases like Case1, Case2, Case2 but when we start
> to use subtabs we get into problems since IE8 now will open these as
> Case1, Case2, Case3, Case1_Attachment1, Case1_attachment2, Case2,
> Case2_attachment.
>
> Since the attachments doesn't have such clear names as I used in my
> example and becuase it leads to a more complex working enviroment, the
> users has made it clear that this is an unaceptable change in behaviour.
>
> Therefore I need a way to get IE8 to behave like IE7 did in this matter or
> an supported way to downgrade IE8 to IE7 on Windows7.

mats

Re: IE8 Tab order
That will not work since the number of tabs and subtabs are dependent on the
specific cases that user works with at the moment. And since the tabs are
links to sprcific cases they will change as the user completes cases

Therefore I realy need a behaviour change in IE8.
Firefox can do this with a pluggin but hey, I dont Firefox ....

"Michael H. Lewis" wrote:

> I may have a suggestion that will take a bit of work but also may be better.
> When you want a certain grouping of tabs saved, open a new window. Open the
> first site, then open the next in a new tab, then the next in a new tab etc.
> Go to Favorites and Add Current Tabs To Favorites. It will save all of the
> Tabs from the current window in a separate folder in Favorites name whatever
> you want. You can then customize it by renaming the Favorites folder and
> each tab within it to be descriptive of your flow. You can then do what you
> want with that Favorite tab grouping.
>
> Let me know if this helps or is unclear.
> --
> **********
> Michael
>
> "Olsson Mats" <Not@disclosed.com> wrote in message
> > In IE7 there was a Setting called Open new tabs next to the current tab.
> > In IE8 this setting is gone and MS brags about their so called smart
> > grouping. The problem is that this function arn't smart enough. It doesn't
> > seem to work if the pages comes from the same domain
> >
> > With IE7 We got a tablist something like Case1, Case2, Case3 and so on
> > and then the user starts looking on attached files and images in Case1 we
> > get a list like Case1, Case1_Attachment1, Case1_attachment2, Case2,
> > Case2_attachment, Case3 and so on
> >
> > With IE8 it will open the Cases like Case1, Case2, Case2 but when we start
> > to use subtabs we get into problems since IE8 now will open these as
> > Case1, Case2, Case3, Case1_Attachment1, Case1_attachment2, Case2,
> > Case2_attachment.
> >
> > Since the attachments doesn't have such clear names as I used in my
> > example and becuase it leads to a more complex working enviroment, the
> > users has made it clear that this is an unaceptable change in behaviour.
> >
> > Therefore I need a way to get IE8 to behave like IE7 did in this matter or
> > an supported way to downgrade IE8 to IE7 on Windows7.

MHL

Re: IE8 Tab order
Good luck.
--
**********
Michael

"mats" <mats@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> That will not work since the number of tabs and subtabs are dependent on
> the
> specific cases that user works with at the moment. And since the tabs are
> links to sprcific cases they will change as the user completes cases
>
> Therefore I realy need a behaviour change in IE8.
> Firefox can do this with a pluggin but hey, I dont Firefox ....
>
> "Michael H. Lewis" wrote:
>
>> I may have a suggestion that will take a bit of work but also may be
>> better.
>> When you want a certain grouping of tabs saved, open a new window. Open
>> the
>> first site, then open the next in a new tab, then the next in a new tab
>> etc.
>> Go to Favorites and Add Current Tabs To Favorites. It will save all of
>> the
>> Tabs from the current window in a separate folder in Favorites name
>> whatever
>> you want. You can then customize it by renaming the Favorites folder and
>> each tab within it to be descriptive of your flow. You can then do what
>> you
>> want with that Favorite tab grouping.
>>
>> Let me know if this helps or is unclear.
>> --
>> **********
>> Michael
>>
>> "Olsson Mats" <Not@disclosed.com> wrote in message
>> > In IE7 there was a Setting called Open new tabs next to the current
>> > tab.
>> > In IE8 this setting is gone and MS brags about their so called smart
>> > grouping. The problem is that this function arn't smart enough. It
>> > doesn't
>> > seem to work if the pages comes from the same domain
>> >
>> > With IE7 We got a tablist something like Case1, Case2, Case3 and so on
>> > and then the user starts looking on attached files and images in Case1
>> > we
>> > get a list like Case1, Case1_Attachment1, Case1_attachment2, Case2,
>> > Case2_attachment, Case3 and so on
>> >
>> > With IE8 it will open the Cases like Case1, Case2, Case2 but when we
>> > start
>> > to use subtabs we get into problems since IE8 now will open these as
>> > Case1, Case2, Case3, Case1_Attachment1, Case1_attachment2, Case2,
>> > Case2_attachment.
>> >
>> > Since the attachments doesn't have such clear names as I used in my
>> > example and becuase it leads to a more complex working enviroment, the
>> > users has made it clear that this is an unaceptable change in
>> > behaviour.
>> >
>> > Therefore I need a way to get IE8 to behave like IE7 did in this matter
>> > or
>> > an supported way to downgrade IE8 to IE7 on Windows7.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 Tab order

"Olsson Mats" <Not@disclosed.com> wrote in message news:7A18F687-5675-45C9-A4D5-6286937693DC@microsoft.com...
> In IE7 there was a Setting called Open new tabs next to the current tab.
> In IE8 this setting is gone and MS brags about their so called smart
> grouping. The problem is that this function arn't smart enough. It doesn't
> seem to work if the pages comes from the same domain
>
> With IE7 We got a tablist something like Case1, Case2, Case3 and so on and
> then the user starts looking on attached files and images in Case1 we get a
> list like Case1, Case1_Attachment1, Case1_attachment2, Case2,
> Case2_attachment, Case3 and so on
>
> With IE8 it will open the Cases like Case1, Case2, Case2 but when we start
> to use subtabs we get into problems since IE8 now will open these as Case1,
> Case2, Case3, Case1_Attachment1, Case1_attachment2, Case2, Case2_attachment.
>
> Since the attachments doesn't have such clear names as I used in my example
> and becuase it leads to a more complex working enviroment, the users has
> made it clear that this is an unaceptable change in behaviour.
>

> Therefore I need a way to get IE8 to behave like IE7 did in this matter or
> an supported way to downgrade IE8 to IE7 on Windows7.

What order of switching do you use? Perhaps the old functionality that
you are referring to has been kept with the alternate method of tab switching?
E.g. for switching by last used, which also affects switching after closing,
use the (obscure, disassociated) option:
Use most recent order when switching tabs with Ctrl+Tab
(in Options, Advanced tab, Browsing section)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

mats

Re: IE8 Tab order
Well I'd say it doesn't matter since you may have 30 or more tabs open, the
sorting order still must be right for the user to grasp wich tab belongs
together with wich subtabs.

And it's not about me or a few users, It's about a lot of users so they will
do it diffrent ways too.