Downloaded IE8 and now can't view my emails in outlook Express

whisker

Downloaded IE8 and now can't view my emails in outlook Express
Please can anyone help. I can not view or send emails since upgrading to IE8
and adding windows service pack 3.
I have tried to uninstall and reinstall but says I have the latest version
already.
I don't get any error message just when I load OE it downloads my emails and
the bottom section where you read the email is grey and when you drag another
box across it cascades the image all over the message box and freezes it. I
have to use a recovery program at the moment to get my emails.
Using win XP pro
Thanks

Re: Downloaded IE8 and now can't view my emails in outlook Express
[crosspost to OE General]

IE-specific section:

Was OE running in the background when you originally installed IE8?

in the background when you installed, uninstalled, and/or reinstalled IE8?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the original/first install of IE8?

OE-specific section:

Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity...

File | Identities | Add new identity

Assuming all is well, (1) compact all folders in the old identity, (2)
import messages from the old identity into the new one, and then (3) delete
the old one (File | Identities | Manage Identities).

To avoid such corruption in future:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

www.banthecheck.com

whisker wrote:
> Please can anyone help. I can not view or send emails since upgrading to
> IE8
> and adding windows service pack 3.
> I have tried to uninstall and reinstall but says I have the latest version
> already.
> I don't get any error message just when I load OE it downloads my emails
> and
> the bottom section where you read the email is grey and when you drag
> another box across it cascades the image all over the message box and
> freezes it. I have to use a recovery program at the moment to get my
> emails.
> Using win XP pro
> Thanks

whisker

Re: Downloaded IE8 and now can't view my emails in outlook Express
Thank you PA for your responce.
OE not running when installed IE8
McAfee SecurityCenter Ver.9.15 up to date Virus Firewall and Anti-Spyware
was running in back ground
AGV free was installed prior but uninstalled before problem.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crosspost to OE General]
>
> IE-specific section:
>
> Was OE running in the background when you originally installed IE8?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed, uninstalled, and/or reinstalled IE8?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
>
> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> an available Restore Point which predates the original/first install of IE8?
>
> OE-specific section:
>
> Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
> Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity...
>
> File | Identities | Add new identity
>
> Assuming all is well, (1) compact all folders in the old identity, (2)
> import messages from the old identity into the new one, and then (3) delete
> the old one (File | Identities | Manage Identities).
>
> To avoid such corruption in future:
>
> - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
> folders created for this purpose.
>
> - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>
> - Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
> offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm
>
> - Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
> close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
> is taking place.
>
> - Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
> corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:
>
> Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> whisker wrote:
> > Please can anyone help. I can not view or send emails since upgrading to
> > IE8
> > and adding windows service pack 3.
> > I have tried to uninstall and reinstall but says I have the latest version
> > already.
> > I don't get any error message just when I load OE it downloads my emails
> > and
> > the bottom section where you read the email is grey and when you drag
> > another box across it cascades the image all over the message box and
> > freezes it. I have to use a recovery program at the moment to get my
> > emails.
> > Using win XP pro
> > Thanks

whisker

Re: Downloaded IE8 and now can't view my emails in outlook Express
OK changed Identity but still same problem

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crosspost to OE General]
>
> IE-specific section:
>
> Was OE running in the background when you originally installed IE8?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed, uninstalled, and/or reinstalled IE8?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
>
> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> an available Restore Point which predates the original/first install of IE8?
>
> OE-specific section:
>
> Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
> Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity...
>
> File | Identities | Add new identity
>
> Assuming all is well, (1) compact all folders in the old identity, (2)
> import messages from the old identity into the new one, and then (3) delete
> the old one (File | Identities | Manage Identities).
>
> To avoid such corruption in future:
>
> - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
> folders created for this purpose.
>
> - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>
> - Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
> offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm
>
> - Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
> close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
> is taking place.
>
> - Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
> corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:
>
> Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> whisker wrote:
> > Please can anyone help. I can not view or send emails since upgrading to
> > IE8
> > and adding windows service pack 3.
> > I have tried to uninstall and reinstall but says I have the latest version
> > already.
> > I don't get any error message just when I load OE it downloads my emails
> > and
> > the bottom section where you read the email is grey and when you drag
> > another box across it cascades the image all over the message box and
> > freezes it. I have to use a recovery program at the moment to get my
> > emails.
> > Using win XP pro
> > Thanks

Re: Downloaded IE8 and now can't view my emails in outlook Express
IE-specific section:

Is McAfee Security Center a freebie from your ISP?

Was another McAfee application or a Norton application ever installed on
this computer (includes (a) a free-trial preinstalled when you bought it and
an earlier version of McAfee Security Center)?

Did you uninstall AVG before you installed McAfee Security Center? Was it
AVG Free v8.5, v8.0, or v7.5 and when (approx. date) did you uninstall it?

OE-specific section:

Does the behavior persist after disabling the email scanning and anti-spam
components of McAfee Security Center?

Email scanning provides no additional protection (see my previous reply) and
it may be causing the problem. OE has NEVER played nicely with any
anti-spam application.
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com