IE8 Annoyance

George in Kansas

IE8 Annoyance
Every time I load IE8 (in XP) I get an error box which states "A program
on your computer has corrupted your default search provider for IE. IE has
reset this setting to your original search provider, Google. IE will now
open search settings where you can change the setting or install more search
providers"
Then....the "Manage Add Ons" page comes up showing Google as the
default search provider. It can't be changed. IE works OK after I delete
these two messages, but it's a hassle every time.
Tried to get an answer online, but the only support option that comes up
is to call the Microsoft support phone #. Finally got thru to a customer
support rep who recommended I go to support.microsoft/OES. That gives a
message that the "link is broken" and redirects you to the basic Microsoft
support web site which again refers only to the support phone #. I really
feel like I'm getting the run around and NO help. Any suggestions as to how
I can get rid of these two error messages???

Re: IE8 Annoyance
First things first:

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

Moving on...

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
www.banthecheck.com

George in Kansas wrote:
> Every time I load IE8 (in XP) I get an error box which states "A
> program
> on your computer has corrupted your default search provider for IE. IE
> has
> reset this setting to your original search provider, Google. IE will now
> open search settings where you can change the setting or install more
> search
> providers"
> Then....the "Manage Add Ons" page comes up showing Google as the
> default search provider. It can't be changed. IE works OK after I delete
> these two messages, but it's a hassle every time.
> Tried to get an answer online, but the only support option that comes up
> is to call the Microsoft support phone #. Finally got thru to a customer
> support rep who recommended I go to support.microsoft/OES. That gives a
> message that the "link is broken" and redirects you to the basic Microsoft
> support web site which again refers only to the support phone #. I really
> feel like I'm getting the run around and NO help. Any suggestions as to
> how
> I can get rid of these two error messages???

George in Kansas

Re: IE8 Annoyance
Thanks for the suggestions.
First, the support phone number you provided is the one I called and got a
person who recommended I go to a non-existent web site which dumped me back
to the MS support web site which recommended I call the same phone number.
Can you see why I'm getting frustrated????
Second, I'm running IE8 on WinXP, SP3.
I tried the the "No Add-ons mode" to no avail.
Did not do the "reset" procedure because of all the warnings about all the
information I would lose.
That's as far as I've had time to go at this point. Hope to have time to
try the "safe mode" test later tonight.
In the meantime, to answer your questions, I'm currently using AVG free
version and Ad Aware. No third party firewall. The AVG was temporarily
disabled when I installed IE8. Yes, I believe the computer came iwth a trial
version of McAfee installed, but I didn't use it and uninstalled it soon
after purchase.
I do have an available restore pointpredating IE8, but I'm reluctant to use
it because of the various downloaded programs, etc. that I would wipe out.
Thanks again for the info. I appreciate your help.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> First things first:
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
> environment.
> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> => Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>
> Moving on...
>
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?
>
> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>
> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> George in Kansas wrote:
> > Every time I load IE8 (in XP) I get an error box which states "A
> > program
> > on your computer has corrupted your default search provider for IE. IE
> > has
> > reset this setting to your original search provider, Google. IE will now
> > open search settings where you can change the setting or install more
> > search
> > providers"
> > Then....the "Manage Add Ons" page comes up showing Google as the
> > default search provider. It can't be changed. IE works OK after I delete
> > these two messages, but it's a hassle every time.
> > Tried to get an answer online, but the only support option that comes up
> > is to call the Microsoft support phone #. Finally got thru to a customer
> > support rep who recommended I go to support.microsoft/OES. That gives a
> > message that the "link is broken" and redirects you to the basic Microsoft
> > support web site which again refers only to the support phone #. I really
> > feel like I'm getting the run around and NO help. Any suggestions as to
> > how
> > I can get rid of these two error messages???

Re: IE8 Annoyance
I empathize with your frustration, George. That being said, please
understand the no one here, including me, works for or represents MS.

> Did not do the "reset" procedure because of all the warnings about all the
> information I would lose.

Nevertheless, it's a legitimate diagnostic step, possibly unavoidable but
certainly one that you'd be able to recover from in short order, if
necessary.

> That's as far as I've had time to go at this point. Hope to have time to
> try the "safe mode" test later tonight.

OK...

Assuming you're running Ad-Aware AE, did you disable Ad-Watch and Ad-Aware
Guard prior to installing IE8?

McAfee and Norton applications are notorious for not uninstalling cleanly.
Have you ever downloaded and run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool?

> ...AVG was temporarily disabled when I installed IE8.

Are you running AVG Free v8.5? Is AVG Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active
Surf-Shield, Security toolbar and/or any of the email scanning components
installed & enabled?
--
OE-specific newsgroup:

www.banthecheck.com