IE8 not connecting to sites

John A Grandy

IE8 not connecting to sites
Recently installed IE8 on XP ( previously IE7 ).

I use Windows Update religiously , so I have all the latest of everything.

I am having a huge problem with IE8 not connecting to sites intermittently.

These are all big sites : google yahoo cnn etc.

At the time that IE8 times-out , I can always ping these sites.

At the time that IE8 times-out , I can use Chrome or Safari to browse these
sites.

What could be the problem ?

I want to go back to IE7 , but Windows Update has installed a great deal of
updates to a variety of apps since I installed IE8 ( Visual Studio , etc. ),
and I consider it to be rather problematic to uninstall IE8.

Re: IE8 not connecting to sites
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
www.banthecheck.com

John A Grandy wrote:
> Recently installed IE8 on XP ( previously IE7 ).
>
> I use Windows Update religiously , so I have all the latest of everything.
>
> I am having a huge problem with IE8 not connecting to sites
> intermittently.
>
> These are all big sites : google yahoo cnn etc.
>
> At the time that IE8 times-out , I can always ping these sites.
>
> At the time that IE8 times-out , I can use Chrome or Safari to browse
> these
> sites.
>
> What could be the problem ?
>
> I want to go back to IE7 , but Windows Update has installed a great deal
> of
> updates to a variety of apps since I installed IE8 ( Visual Studio ,
> etc. ),
> and I consider it to be rather problematic to uninstall IE8.

John A Grandy

Re: IE8 not connecting to sites
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

I have MalwareBytes Anti-Malware free edition, SUPERAntiSpyware edition, and
AVG Anti-Virus Network Edition installed. All were installed at time I
upgraded IE7 to IE8.

No clue on Norton , McAfee. This is corporate box.

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> when posting to this newsgroup.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed IE8?
>
> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> John A Grandy wrote:
>> Recently installed IE8 on XP ( previously IE7 ).
>>
>> I use Windows Update religiously , so I have all the latest of
>> everything.
>>
>> I am having a huge problem with IE8 not connecting to sites
>> intermittently.
>>
>> These are all big sites : google yahoo cnn etc.
>>
>> At the time that IE8 times-out , I can always ping these sites.
>>
>> At the time that IE8 times-out , I can use Chrome or Safari to browse
>> these
>> sites.
>>
>> What could be the problem ?
>>
>> I want to go back to IE7 , but Windows Update has installed a great deal
>> of
>> updates to a variety of apps since I installed IE8 ( Visual Studio ,
>> etc. ),
>> and I consider it to be rather problematic to uninstall IE8.

John A Grandy

Re: IE8 not connecting to sites
Could Google Toolbar For Internet Explorer be causing these problems ? What
about Google Desktop ?

I don't have any other add-ons except AVG Toolbar which came with AVG.
Tough to uninstlal because this is part of our corporate security policy.

"John A Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-gmail-dot-com> wrote in message
> Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
>
> I have MalwareBytes Anti-Malware free edition, SUPERAntiSpyware edition,
> and AVG Anti-Virus Network Edition installed. All were installed at time I
> upgraded IE7 to IE8.
>
> No clue on Norton , McAfee. This is corporate box.

>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed IE8?
>>
>> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought it)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> John A Grandy wrote:
>>> Recently installed IE8 on XP ( previously IE7 ).
>>>
>>> I use Windows Update religiously , so I have all the latest of
>>> everything.
>>>
>>> I am having a huge problem with IE8 not connecting to sites
>>> intermittently.
>>>
>>> These are all big sites : google yahoo cnn etc.
>>>
>>> At the time that IE8 times-out , I can always ping these sites.
>>>
>>> At the time that IE8 times-out , I can use Chrome or Safari to browse
>>> these
>>> sites.
>>>
>>> What could be the problem ?
>>>
>>> I want to go back to IE7 , but Windows Update has installed a great deal
>>> of
>>> updates to a variety of apps since I installed IE8 ( Visual Studio ,
>>> etc. ),
>>> and I consider it to be rather problematic to uninstall IE8.

Re: IE8 not connecting to sites
To be able to assist you properly & successfully, I'll need you to answer
questions #1 through #3 and the last question in #4a.

Tip: IMHO you would not want AVG's Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active
Surf-Shield and/or Security toolbar enabled/installed if you're running IE8.
Furthermore, you wouldn't want AVG v8.0 or earlier installed either; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970962

If the computer in question belongs to your employer, it may be best to
disable all real-time protections and then uninstall IE8.

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

After doing so, you would want to "hide" IE8 at Windows Update website after
doing a CUSTOM scan.
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com

John A Grandy wrote:
> Could Google Toolbar For Internet Explorer be causing these problems ?
> What
> about Google Desktop ?
>
> I don't have any other add-ons except AVG Toolbar which came with AVG.
> Tough to uninstlal because this is part of our corporate security policy.
>
>> Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
>>
>> I have MalwareBytes Anti-Malware free edition, SUPERAntiSpyware edition,
>> and AVG Anti-Virus Network Edition installed. All were installed at time
>> upgraded IE7 to IE8.
>>
>> No clue on Norton , McAfee. This is corporate box.
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>>> start IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>>
>>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>>> Add-ons; or
>>>
>>> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>>>
>>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
>>>
>>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>>
>>> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>>> installed IE8?
>>>
>>> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>>> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought it)?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

John A Grandy

Re: IE8 not connecting to sites
It's an intermittent problem.

I assume everything was running in background when IE8 was installed. I
believe IE8 was installed overnight by Windows Update, but maybe I clicked a
popup and don't remember.

I bet this is AVG. We've had problems with AVG before.

Here are the AVG components I have running :

Anti-Virus
Anti-Spyware
Anti-Rootkit
E-mail Scanner
License
Resident Shield
Update Manager

Here are the AVG components I have disabled :

LinkScan
WebShield

I don't have SearchShield or ActiveSurfShield listed.

I have AVG Safe Search listed in my IE8 Add-Ons section. Should I disable
it ? How do I uninstall it ?

I don't see any AVG Security Toolbar listed.

> To be able to assist you properly & successfully, I'll need you to answer
> questions #1 through #3 and the last question in #4a.
>
> Tip: IMHO you would not want AVG's Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active
> Surf-Shield and/or Security toolbar enabled/installed if you're running
> IE8. Furthermore, you wouldn't want AVG v8.0 or earlier installed either;
> cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970962
>
> If the computer in question belongs to your employer, it may be best to
> disable all real-time protections and then uninstall IE8.
>
> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
> After doing so, you would want to "hide" IE8 at Windows Update website
> after doing a CUSTOM scan.
> --
> ~PA Bear
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> John A Grandy wrote:
>> Could Google Toolbar For Internet Explorer be causing these problems ?
>> What
>> about Google Desktop ?
>>
>> I don't have any other add-ons except AVG Toolbar which came with AVG.
>> Tough to uninstlal because this is part of our corporate security policy.
>>
>>> Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
>>>
>>> I have MalwareBytes Anti-Malware free edition, SUPERAntiSpyware edition,
>>> and AVG Anti-Virus Network Edition installed. All were installed at time
>>> upgraded IE7 to IE8.
>>>
>>> No clue on Norton , McAfee. This is corporate box.

Michael H. Lewis

Re: IE8 not connecting to sites
I just reinstalled the free version as a very minimal install without all
the web surf link stuff. I too have been getting spinning waiting while a
page tries to load after opening a new tab.
--
**********
Michael

> It's an intermittent problem.
>
> I assume everything was running in background when IE8 was installed. I
> believe IE8 was installed overnight by Windows Update, but maybe I clicked
> a popup and don't remember.
>
> I bet this is AVG. We've had problems with AVG before.
>
> Here are the AVG components I have running :
>
> Anti-Virus
> Anti-Spyware
> Anti-Rootkit
> E-mail Scanner
> License
> Resident Shield
> Update Manager
>
> Here are the AVG components I have disabled :
>
> LinkScan
> WebShield
>

> I don't have SearchShield or ActiveSurfShield listed.
>
> I have AVG Safe Search listed in my IE8 Add-Ons section. Should I disable
> it ? How do I uninstall it ?
>
> I don't see any AVG Security Toolbar listed.

>> To be able to assist you properly & successfully, I'll need you to answer
>> questions #1 through #3 and the last question in #4a.
>>
>> Tip: IMHO you would not want AVG's Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active
>> Surf-Shield and/or Security toolbar enabled/installed if you're running
>> IE8. Furthermore, you wouldn't want AVG v8.0 or earlier installed either;
>> cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970962
>>
>> If the computer in question belongs to your employer, it may be best to
>> disable all real-time protections and then uninstall IE8.
>>
>> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>>
>> After doing so, you would want to "hide" IE8 at Windows Update website
>> after doing a CUSTOM scan.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> John A Grandy wrote:
>>> Could Google Toolbar For Internet Explorer be causing these problems ?
>>> What
>>> about Google Desktop ?
>>>
>>> I don't have any other add-ons except AVG Toolbar which came with AVG.
>>> Tough to uninstlal because this is part of our corporate security
>>> policy.

Re: IE8 not connecting to sites
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post.

Michael H. Lewis wrote:
> I just reinstalled the free version as a very minimal install without all
> the web surf link stuff. I too have been getting spinning waiting while a
> page tries to load after opening a new tab.

<snip hijacked thread>

Michael H. Lewis

Re: IE8 not connecting to sites
Not trying to confuse anyone. I certainly didn't mean to "hijack" anyone's
thread. Yes, it probably is AVG that may be causing IE 8 to not load pages
in new tabs.
--
Michael

IE 8.0.7100.0
Windows 7 RC
Windows Live Mail 2009 (latest)
Office 2007 (latest)

> To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific
> problems. State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
> Vista SP2) in your first post.
>
> Michael H. Lewis wrote:
>> I just reinstalled the free version as a very minimal install without all
>> the web surf link stuff. I too have been getting spinning waiting while a
>> page tries to load after opening a new tab.

> <snip hijacked thread>

John A Grandy

Re: IE8 not connecting to sites
Hi Michael.

Thanks very much for the response on this thread. Your information is very
useful to me.

Indeed , I believe we have the same problem. Previously, our company had
problems with web-browsing that we traced to AVG and led us to disable
LinkScanner ( includes AVG Active Surf-Shield & AVG Search-Shield ) and Web
Shield.

When you installed AVG free , did you do a default install ? If not , what
exactly did you choose to install ?

Thanks.