random links won't work in IE

41fool

random links won't work in IE
Having problems with Internet Explorer. It opens fine, but on any website,
some links do not work. There is no pattern to what links work and what
links do not. This is a new problem. I have attempted to run Windows Update
but it opens IE and the web page does not load. I've gone to the Microsoft
website and tried to run it from there but the link does not work. I
downloaded IE 8 on another computer, copied it to this one, and installed it.
Installed fine. Installed Windows Live OneCare, ran it, and it did find
viruses but I can not find what they were called. Uninstalled Live OneCare,
installed Windows Defender and it found nothing. System restore will not
start so I can not restore to a prior time. My main problem is that random
links in IE do not work. I can right click on a link, and the Open in New
Window or Tab are not an option
Operating System: Windows XP

Leonard Grey

Re: random links won't work in IE
Can you provide at one URL where you experience this problem, point out
at least one link on the page and explain in detail how it 'does not work'?

In addition, may we be privileged to know what version of Windows you
have (with service pack)?

Without sufficient details to investigate, all we can offer is generic
troubleshooting or a lucky guess.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

41fool wrote:
> Having problems with Internet Explorer. It opens fine, but on any website,
> some links do not work. There is no pattern to what links work and what
> links do not. This is a new problem. I have attempted to run Windows Update
> but it opens IE and the web page does not load. I've gone to the Microsoft
> website and tried to run it from there but the link does not work. I
> downloaded IE 8 on another computer, copied it to this one, and installed it.
> Installed fine. Installed Windows Live OneCare, ran it, and it did find
> viruses but I can not find what they were called. Uninstalled Live OneCare,
> installed Windows Defender and it found nothing. System restore will not
> start so I can not restore to a prior time. My main problem is that random
> links in IE do not work. I can right click on a link, and the Open in New
> Window or Tab are not an option
> Operating System: Windows XP

41fool

Re: random links won't work in IE
XP Version 5.1, SP3

The Windows Update link does not load:
http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...6/default.aspx

I click on the link, it refreshes IE to a blank screen, and Done pops up in
the status bar.

Another link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=e&tab=wl

This one does basically the same thing. The Google maps page loads but the
map it self does not. The "Set default location" link does not work. If I
right click on it, Open in New Window or Open in New Tab are not options.
They are grey.
"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Can you provide at one URL where you experience this problem, point out
> at least one link on the page and explain in detail how it 'does not work'?
>
> In addition, may we be privileged to know what version of Windows you
> have (with service pack)?
>
> Without sufficient details to investigate, all we can offer is generic
> troubleshooting or a lucky guess.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> 41fool wrote:
> > Having problems with Internet Explorer. It opens fine, but on any website,
> > some links do not work. There is no pattern to what links work and what
> > links do not. This is a new problem. I have attempted to run Windows Update
> > but it opens IE and the web page does not load. I've gone to the Microsoft
> > website and tried to run it from there but the link does not work. I
> > downloaded IE 8 on another computer, copied it to this one, and installed it.
> > Installed fine. Installed Windows Live OneCare, ran it, and it did find
> > viruses but I can not find what they were called. Uninstalled Live OneCare,
> > installed Windows Defender and it found nothing. System restore will not
> > start so I can not restore to a prior time. My main problem is that random
> > links in IE do not work. I can right click on a link, and the Open in New
> > Window or Tab are not an option
> > Operating System: Windows XP

Leonard Grey

Re: random links won't work in IE
Can't reproduce either result here.

Do you have the same problem when you run Internet Explorer in 'no
add-ons' mode?

Do you have security software or (more likely) ad blocking software that
could be interfering?

Do you have the same problem after you reset Internet Explorer to
default settings. (Warning: This will disable many of your add-ons;
you'll have to reinstall them.)
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

41fool wrote:
> XP Version 5.1, SP3
>
> The Windows Update link does not load:
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...6/default.aspx
>
> I click on the link, it refreshes IE to a blank screen, and Done pops up in
> the status bar.
>
> Another link:
> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=e&tab=wl
>
> This one does basically the same thing. The Google maps page loads but the
> map it self does not. The "Set default location" link does not work. If I
> right click on it, Open in New Window or Open in New Tab are not options.
> They are grey.
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Can you provide at one URL where you experience this problem, point out
>> at least one link on the page and explain in detail how it 'does not work'?
>>
>> In addition, may we be privileged to know what version of Windows you
>> have (with service pack)?
>>
>> Without sufficient details to investigate, all we can offer is generic
>> troubleshooting or a lucky guess.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> 41fool wrote:
>>> Having problems with Internet Explorer. It opens fine, but on any website,
>>> some links do not work. There is no pattern to what links work and what
>>> links do not. This is a new problem. I have attempted to run Windows Update
>>> but it opens IE and the web page does not load. I've gone to the Microsoft
>>> website and tried to run it from there but the link does not work. I
>>> downloaded IE 8 on another computer, copied it to this one, and installed it.
>>> Installed fine. Installed Windows Live OneCare, ran it, and it did find
>>> viruses but I can not find what they were called. Uninstalled Live OneCare,
>>> installed Windows Defender and it found nothing. System restore will not
>>> start so I can not restore to a prior time. My main problem is that random
>>> links in IE do not work. I can right click on a link, and the Open in New
>>> Window or Tab are not an option
>>> Operating System: Windows XP

Re: random links won't work in IE
>>> This is a new problem...Installed Windows Live OneCare, ran
>>> it, and it did find viruses but I can not find what they were called.

Are you referring to the Windows Live OneCare Safety Center's online scans
or did you install a OneCare free-trial?

What anti-virus application (if any) was installed when you installed IE8
and was (or is) your subscription still current?

If you installed the OneCare free-trial, what anti-virus application (if
any) was installed before you installed OneCare?

What anti-spyware applications (if any) were installed when you installed
IE8?
www.banthecheck.com

41fool wrote:
> XP Version 5.1, SP3
>
> The Windows Update link does not load:
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...6/default.aspx
>
> I click on the link, it refreshes IE to a blank screen, and Done pops up
> in
> the status bar.
>
> Another link:
> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=e&tab=wl
>
> This one does basically the same thing. The Google maps page loads but
> the
> map it self does not. The "Set default location" link does not work. If
> right click on it, Open in New Window or Open in New Tab are not options.
> They are grey.
>
>> Can you provide at one URL where you experience this problem, point out
>> at least one link on the page and explain in detail how it 'does not
>> work'?
>>
>> In addition, may we be privileged to know what version of Windows you
>> have (with service pack)?
>>
>> Without sufficient details to investigate, all we can offer is generic
>> troubleshooting or a lucky guess.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> 41fool wrote:
>>> Having problems with Internet Explorer. It opens fine, but on any
>>> website, some links do not work. There is no pattern to what links work
>>> and what links do not. This is a new problem. I have attempted to run
>>> Windows Update but it opens IE and the web page does not load. I've
>>> gone
>>> to the Microsoft website and tried to run it from there but the link
>>> does
>>> not work. I downloaded IE 8 on another computer, copied it to this one,
>>> and installed it. Installed fine. Installed Windows Live OneCare, ran
>>> it, and it did find viruses but I can not find what they were called.
>>> Uninstalled Live OneCare, installed Windows Defender and it found
>>> nothing. System restore will not start so I can not restore to a prior
>>> time. My main problem is that random links in IE do not work. I can
>>> right click on a link, and the Open in New Window or Tab are not an
>>> option
>>> Operating System: Windows XP

41fool

Re: random links won't work in IE
Same problems with 'no add-ons' mode.

The only security software currently installed is Windows Defender. No ad
blocking software is currently installed.

I reset to default settings. No changes.

This is my father-in-law's computer. I know that McAfee was installed
previously but it has been un-installed. I'm not sure if any other
ad-blocking or anti-virus other than Windows Defender and Windows Live
OneCare were installed.

Thank you by the way for your questions and trying to help!

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Can't reproduce either result here.
>
> Do you have the same problem when you run Internet Explorer in 'no
> add-ons' mode?
>
> Do you have security software or (more likely) ad blocking software that
> could be interfering?
>
> Do you have the same problem after you reset Internet Explorer to
> default settings. (Warning: This will disable many of your add-ons;
> you'll have to reinstall them.)
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> 41fool wrote:
> > XP Version 5.1, SP3
> >
> > The Windows Update link does not load:
> > http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...6/default.aspx
> >
> > I click on the link, it refreshes IE to a blank screen, and Done pops up in
> > the status bar.
> >
> > Another link:
> > http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=e&tab=wl
> >
> > This one does basically the same thing. The Google maps page loads but the
> > map it self does not. The "Set default location" link does not work. If I
> > right click on it, Open in New Window or Open in New Tab are not options.
> > They are grey.
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Can you provide at one URL where you experience this problem, point out
> >> at least one link on the page and explain in detail how it 'does not work'?
> >>
> >> In addition, may we be privileged to know what version of Windows you
> >> have (with service pack)?
> >>
> >> Without sufficient details to investigate, all we can offer is generic
> >> troubleshooting or a lucky guess.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

41fool

Re: random links won't work in IE
The OneCare free trial was installed and un-installed to try Defender. This
all started before IE8 was installed. I tried IE8 and the problems are the
same - random links do not work. The only thing currently installed is
Defender.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you referring to the Windows Live OneCare Safety Center's online scans
> or did you install a OneCare free-trial?
>
> What anti-virus application (if any) was installed when you installed IE8
> and was (or is) your subscription still current?
>
> If you installed the OneCare free-trial, what anti-virus application (if
> any) was installed before you installed OneCare?
>
> What anti-spyware applications (if any) were installed when you installed
> IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> 41fool wrote:
> > XP Version 5.1, SP3
> >
> > The Windows Update link does not load:
> > http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...6/default.aspx
> >
> > I click on the link, it refreshes IE to a blank screen, and Done pops up
> > in
> > the status bar.
> >
> > Another link:
> > http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=e&tab=wl
> >
> > This one does basically the same thing. The Google maps page loads but
> > the
> > map it self does not. The "Set default location" link does not work. If
> > right click on it, Open in New Window or Open in New Tab are not options.
> > They are grey.
> >
> >> Can you provide at one URL where you experience this problem, point out
> >> at least one link on the page and explain in detail how it 'does not
> >> work'?
> >>
> >> In addition, may we be privileged to know what version of Windows you
> >> have (with service pack)?
> >>
> >> Without sufficient details to investigate, all we can offer is generic
> >> troubleshooting or a lucky guess.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

Re: random links won't work in IE
Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

Backup the personal data (none of which may be 100% trustworthy, then do a
format & clean install of Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA
in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this nor should it be done with IE8 or IE7
installed!

cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx

Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com

41fool wrote:
> The OneCare free trial was installed and un-installed to try Defender.
> This
> all started before IE8 was installed. I tried IE8 and the problems are
> the
> same - random links do not work. The only thing currently installed is
> Defender.

>> Are you referring to the Windows Live OneCare Safety Center's online
>> scans
>> or did you install a OneCare free-trial?
>>
>> What anti-virus application (if any) was installed when you installed IE8
>> and was (or is) your subscription still current?
>>
>> If you installed the OneCare free-trial, what anti-virus application (if
>> any) was installed before you installed OneCare?
>>
>> What anti-spyware applications (if any) were installed when you installed
>> IE8?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> 41fool wrote:
>>> XP Version 5.1, SP3
>>>
>>> The Windows Update link does not load:
>>> http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...6/default.aspx
>>>
>>> I click on the link, it refreshes IE to a blank screen, and Done pops up
>>> in
>>> the status bar.
>>>
>>> Another link:
>>> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=e&tab=wl
>>>
>>> This one does basically the same thing. The Google maps page loads but
>>> the
>>> map it self does not. The "Set default location" link does not work.
>>> If
>>> right click on it, Open in New Window or Open in New Tab are not
>>> options.
>>> They are grey.

41fool

Re: random links won't work in IE
This is a Dell computer. Would you recommend using the Dell system restore
to the "new computer" configuration?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx
>
> Backup the personal data (none of which may be 100% trustworthy, then do a
> format & clean install of Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA
> in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this nor should it be done with IE8 or IE7
> installed!
>
> cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps
>
> After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
> take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
> the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
> isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:
>
> 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
> (after a clean install)
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
> clean install)
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b
>
> Also see:
>
> Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx
>
> Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx
> --
> ~PA Bear
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> 41fool wrote:
> > The OneCare free trial was installed and un-installed to try Defender.
> > This
> > all started before IE8 was installed. I tried IE8 and the problems are
> > the
> > same - random links do not work. The only thing currently installed is
> > Defender.

> >> Are you referring to the Windows Live OneCare Safety Center's online
> >> scans
> >> or did you install a OneCare free-trial?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application (if any) was installed when you installed IE8
> >> and was (or is) your subscription still current?
> >>
> >> If you installed the OneCare free-trial, what anti-virus application (if
> >> any) was installed before you installed OneCare?
> >>
> >> What anti-spyware applications (if any) were installed when you installed
> >> IE8?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Re: random links won't work in IE
You can use the Dell Recovery CD or hidden Recovery partition, yes, but the
clean install must follow formatting the HDD.